Photo

Your most oft-used layer

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Layers.

Which do you use the most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Sep 19 2007, 09:45 AM) View Post

How am I supposed to use those beautiful trees without layer 3? Thus, my vote goes there.

Simple. The BS Tileset. icon_smile.gif

#17 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

Well 3 in the overwrold but layer 1 on DGNs but i use both a lot
but i don't use layer 2 or 4 regulay

#18 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:54 PM

Layers 1 and 2, I believe. I use them all a lot more than I probably should, but 1 & 2 are probably my most used overall

#19 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Z @ Sep 19 2007, 12:33 PM) View Post

3 and 4. Usually 3. I rarely use 1 and 2, only when there's no other choice.
Wait, make that past tense. icon_razz.gif

You're still making quests Mr Z?

#20 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:29 PM

I use the top 2 layers(5&6) for transluceant and Non-transluceant weather and such for example.,Rain Snow Ash Shadows,Dark,Flickering lights,lightning,sometimes treetops in top layers.so you get the picture top 2 layers are reserved for that kind of stuff.

#21 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Sep 20 2007, 04:22 PM) View Post

You're still making quests Mr Z?
He said "Wait. Make that past tense. icon_razz.gif" so probably not.

#22 Turbon714

Turbon714

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:43 PM

I use Layer 6 the most, oddly enough. icon_freak.gif
Its probably because I only work with the classic tileset and I rarely have to make layers. When I do need layers, I use the highest layer because I just need to put something overhead or on top of something. (Ex. Fire on a custom boss when it dies). Probably I'm just a n00b at zQuest and I really don't know how to use layers to their full potential. icon_shrug.gif Anyways, I learn a bit about zQuest every time I use it so sooner or later I should get it. icon_smile.gif

#23 Sacred Nym

Sacred Nym

Wizard

• Members

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:29 AM

Layer 3 mostly.I haven't found much use in 1 or 2 except for hiding random secret crap. icon_razz.gif

#24 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE(Relic @ Sep 20 2007, 11:54 AM) View Post
Layers 1 and 2, I believe. I use them all a lot more than I probably should, but 1 & 2 are probably my most used overall

In Pure and DoR, there are so many combos that require layering that it's hard to find a screen that doesn't use any of them.

In dungeons, I find myself using them frequently for diagonal tiles and wall pillars. On the overworld, layer 1 is often needed by sheer virtue of the variety of tiles that are used (bridges, houses, cliffs, etc.).

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Sep 20 2007, 06:37 AM) View Post
However, if you put combos on layer 3, then anything can be on Lyar 0.

This is true. But I don't always do it the same way. When I really need layer 3, I use layer 3. But many times I don't have to.

If you put, say, a detailed column top on Layer 0 and then use Layr1/2 to cover it... then the black area of the cover needs to be the same shape as the detailed column. This means that you need to have as many covers, as many overhead combos you have. So, if you have a triangle topped column, you need to have a dungeon floor that has a triangle form cut out from its bottom part, etc...

Nope. Overhead combos appear above layers 1 and 2, even though layer 0 is "under" them.

Try it. You may be surprised.

But now at least I know that I can add two extra "under Link" layers... And yes, saving space is very important... 2.10 can't handle some things I planned.

And I have read the documentation... the first time I downloaded DoR. I was a newbie at then and thought that if I put down a layering combo on Layer 0, ZC realizes it and automatically puts on the needed layer. Plus, I'm always like "Nobody tell me how to use things in ZQ.".

Nice. Good luck. icon_smile.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

#25 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:31 AM

I knew Overhead combos are between layer 4 and 5... Using this information, I realize the truth in your words. This means that sometimes I don't even need to use Layer 3, thus saving a whole layer screen? *looks at the 4 entire layer maps* It would be so so great.

I also found out that the "Layer X is background" isn't in 2.10. So, that's why I didn't know what it was for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users