Photo

Your most oft-used layer

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Layers.

Which do you use the most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:41 AM

Just curious!

For the record, I actually use layers 1 and 2 the most often, by far. They're just incredibly useful.

I don't need layer 3 very often. Whenever I can, I use Overhead combos for layering instead of layer 3. Even with non-square objects, mind you.

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:09 AM

I often use Layer 3. Of course, Layer 1 (Together with 2!) is extremely useful, but how am I supposed to make good DoR overworld screens without Layer 3? Whenever I feel that it's not graphically superior, I start to add Layer 3 objects.

Layer X is background? What is it for? And isn't it a quest rule? I'm completely unfamiliar with it. icon_confused.gif

And... layering objects as overhead combo? icon_blind.gif
This makes me remember some s... strange things in DoR... for example, having some combos as overhead combos even if most of their part is black... Of course, I need to put them on Layer 3...

EDIT: Eh, Radien! Change your avatar, now! I always mistake you with TriMaster!

Edited by CastChaos, 19 September 2007 - 06:10 AM.

#3 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:45 AM

How am I supposed to use those beautiful trees without layer 3? Thus, my vote goes there.

#4 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:06 AM

CC, you put the Overhead combos on layer 0, then the floor over the overhead combo on layer 1 or 2. It's explained in the DoR explanation document. I find it depends what tileset I'm using - although probably 1 and 2 in general.

#5 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:21 AM

When I didn't know how to use layers I actually used the overhead + bg on layer 1 trick... then I realised layer 3 was above Link >_<!

So layer 3 is my most used layer I guess. Using the overhead type for trees sucks because birds fly underneath them icon_sweat.gif

#6 Lune

Lune

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:43 AM

I use three the most, only when I actually use ZQuest to make trees and such.

#7 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:33 PM

3 and 4. Usually 3. I rarely use 1 and 2, only when there's no other choice.
Wait, make that past tense. icon_razz.gif

#8 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:22 PM

I went with layer 1 and 2, as that is the most I use. I use them to cover my temp secrets, warps, etc, etc. I also use layer 4 a lot for my trees and things like that, but in overworld and in dungeons it is usually the layer 1 and 2's I use in very screen.

#9 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Shoelace @ Sep 19 2007, 02:22 PM) View Post
I went with layer 1 and 2, as that is the most I use. I use them to cover my temp secrets, warps, etc, etc. I also use layer 4 a lot for my trees and things like that, but in overworld and in dungeons it is usually the layer 1 and 2's I use in very screen.

This is exactly what I use them for as well. Very handy for covering those things up and changing undercombos of pushables.

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Sep 19 2007, 10:45 AM) View Post

How am I supposed to use those beautiful trees without layer 3? Thus, my vote goes there.

QFT

I'm not going to take a NewFirst approach and make the trees square and not overhead. icon_razz.gif

I don't use Layer 1 that much, though it's necessary in places. Layer 5 is important for, like, forest treetops.

#11 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

I can't have a great quest without layers 1 & 2

#12 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:43 PM

3 & 4 the most for me. Although I'm using about 5 layers on almost all my overworld screens in my main quest.

Edited by Evan the great, 19 September 2007 - 05:43 PM.

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Sep 19 2007, 04:09 AM) View Post
I often use Layer 3. Of course, Layer 1 (Together with 2!) is extremely useful, but how am I supposed to make good DoR overworld screens without Layer 3?

Funny you should say that... DoR was designed to make it possible to use a trick that allows you to avoid using layer 3 sometimes.

And... layering objects as overhead combo? icon_blind.gif
This makes me remember some s... strange things in DoR... for example, having some combos as overhead combos even if most of their part is black... Of course, I need to put them on Layer 3...

NoeL mentioned this technique. First, place those odd overhead combos on layer 0. Then places combos on top of it, on layer 1 (or 2). Voila`. icon_wink.gif Through the use of overhead combos, you can have three layers worth of screen content while only using two screens, total.

The reason I use this is because it cuts down on the number of screens used. I know I'm eventually going to run out of map space. It's also nice not to have to allocate as many layers. Almost every screen I make uses layer 1, but only some of them use layer 3. Since it's harder to get by without layer 1 than it is to eliminate layer 3, the choice is usually obvious.

Layer X is background? What is it for? And isn't it a quest rule? I'm completely unfamiliar with it. icon_confused.gif

It quite literally makes that layer appear underneath layer 0. You can apply the screen flag to either layer 3 or layer 2. It's very useful for rope bridges, because it means that the combos beneath the bridge have no properties, and therefore you can walk over them regardless of what they are.

I THINK you have to use "Layer 3 is background" to make the combos walkable. Common sense would say that layer 3 normally ignores walk flags, whereas layer 2 does not. Also, no, they're both screen flags, not quest rules.

It could also be useful for when you want to have an interactive object (like a jar) that is non-square and sits on the ground. It requires you to dedicate a layer to the task, though....

EDIT: Eh, Radien! Change your avatar, now! I always mistake you with TriMaster!

Um... my avatar is an effeminate, cute anime girl. Trimaster's is a group shot from Tales of Symphonia. How are you getting those two mixed up? icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Sep 19 2007, 08:06 AM) View Post

CC, you put the Overhead combos on layer 0, then the floor over the overhead combo on layer 1 or 2. It's explained in the DoR explanation document. I find it depends what tileset I'm using - although probably 1 and 2 in general.

Cool! Somebody actually reads the documentation. icon_thumbsup.gif

#14 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:26 AM

Oh man, I use tons of layers. I guess I use layers 1 & 2 slightly more than overhead layers 3 & 4.

#15 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:37 AM

However, if you put combos on layer 3, then anything can be on Lyar 0. If you put, say, a detailed column top on Layer 0 and then use Layr1/2 to cover it... then the black area of the cover needs to be the same shape as the detailed column. This means that you need to have as many covers, as many overhead combos you have. So, if you have a triangle topped column, you need to have a dungeon floor that has a triangle form cut out from its bottom part, etc...

But now at least I know that I can add two extra "under Link" layers... And yes, saving space is very important... 2.10 can't handle some things I planned.

And I have read the documentation... the first time I downloaded DoR. I was a newbie at then and thought that if I put down a layering combo on Layer 0, ZC realizes it and automatically puts on the needed layer. Plus, I'm always like "Nobody tell me how to use things in ZQ.".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users