Personal hardest part in ZQuesting?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:52 PM

Starting a dungeon. I've spent five days on my dungeon. The first screen is not done.

#17 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:57 AM

The hardest thing for me is keeping interest in one quest. I usually don't even finish one section of a quest before I start to hate the idea. Then I go idle for a while and think up a totally new quest.

#18 Phoenix Fable

Phoenix Fable

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:13 AM

Flags...and overworld design because i can never seem to make an extremely good screen.

#19 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:18 AM

My graphic-whorishness is also a problem. I'm usually dissatisfied with the way everything looks.

#20 Lune

Lune

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:30 AM

My hardest part is just making the game. I don't like to spend a lot of time planning the storyline and whatnot. Usually I start to make a quest then I just leave it. I am thinking about making a side-scroller quest.

#21 KDillon

KDillon

Senior

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

hmmm
i would say overworlds are hard for me
im not good at them at all
in my quest i made the overworld was not as big well it didnt take a whole map but doungens (oh my god i forgot how to spell it) i love to make and they do not take me long at all
but yes LTTP mountains are hard to use but great tileset
(^^)v

#22 Brandon1

Brandon1

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:57 AM

I think that the hardest part is "connecting" the overworld screens all together, so that its not possible to scroll to unwalkable areas of screens and stuff. The rest is a breeze.

#23 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:59 AM

I'm having hard time with mountains, long ago I always needed to put a layer over certain mountain transitions to avoid it looking extreme ugly. The "I can't start dungeons" syndrome is VERY hard at me, I usually slack off with a simple room for entry and then start to build VERY slowly the dungeon. When the dungeon is 40% done, I can make up a strong plan for the rest part and it becomes easier. I made my first dungeon in Ballad of a Bloodline in 2 days, the second dungeon was a week and this third dungeon, Garden Gallery already goes for more than a week... This shows that the more special the dungeon, the longer it takes to reach the "strong plan" part.

I'm surprised that so many people have this "can't finish area/quest" syndrome. It's especially reverse for me: I can't do the next area until the current one is ready. (However, I still can plan it.)

I started to really hate combo cycling and long running tiered secrets... The miniboss that I made the other day was a real nightmare... However, not as much nightmare as the entire Level 4 will be... Because you won't give thanks for that, believe it!

#24 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Sep 9 2007, 10:59 AM) View Post

I'm surprised that so many people have this "can't finish area/quest" syndrome. It's especially reverse for me: I can't do the next area until the current one is ready. (However, I still can plan it.)
I have that, too. It really just makes more sense to do one area, then the next, because of the item-dependency in the quest.

#25 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:08 PM

I LOVE overworlds, icon_smile.gif but i'm not good at making dungeons. it's not that i suck at it, because my dungeons are ok, it's just that i'm not the person to make big block puzzles and such. I have tried custom bosses, but i quit not even halfway through it because of two reasons.

ONE: The tutorial was very confusing. icon_eek.gif

TWO: I can't draw on ZQuest if my life depended on it. icon_frown.gif

#26 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:27 PM

For quite a much time, Icouldn't give a good answer if asked if I can make overworlds or dungeons better, but now I know that I'm better in dungeons. Block puzzles aren't my favourites either (I made just few of them), but there are so many tricks to be used in a dungeon... as opposed to the overworld, where I don't know what absolute thing could hype it up well. It makes me much more time to make a simple overworld screen than to make a "little more than simple" dungeon screen. I LOVE custom bosses. I also like to draw dungeon tiles better than overworld ones.

#27 Solarrain4

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:28 PM

I'm not that good at making overworlds just yet. I mean, it'll probably be easy to get around in Chaotic Realm once it's released (I'm finishing CR before continuing any major work on Hero Of Life. Hopefully I'll be done with CR by Christmas at the latest) but I'll try to make it at least a tiny bit more challenging... maybe I'll make it so that you have to go through the Dark World to get to a closed-off portion of the Light World xD

Edited by Solarrain4, 09 September 2007 - 02:32 PM.

#28 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

The hardest part for me used to be making a decent quest, but that turned into losing interest, and now it's "OMG THERE'S A BUG! *open code and hack away*" icon_razz.gif I'm often busy planning code side, rather than writing a quest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users