ZC change announcement

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Actually, I tried over the last month or so to coordinate a collaborative AGN-PureZC effort to revitalize zeldaclassic.com, but it fell through. That's fine -- we will continue with the status quo, with zeldaclassic.com the "official" site and PureZC free to do whatever it wishes. I don't intend to purposefully run anyone over by a bus, but zeldaclassic.com has had a QDB since Eckels redesigned the site over a decade ago; I'm sure you wouldn't expect me to shut it down or leave it purposefully hard-to-use because PureZC later built its own database. If I'm misinterpreting your post or you have other concerns, I'm happy to discuss it publicly or via PM -- my top concern here it to build ZC a worthy home and a bright future. And if there's any way I could get you on board, I would love your help.

Edited by DarkDragon, 22 October 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#17 ctrl-alt-delete

ctrl-alt-delete

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(Bagel @ Oct 22 2012, 01:25 PM) View Post

Yes, we're planning to update PureZC in the not-terribly-distant future. Until AGN's recent revival (despite some attempts in the late 2000s to revive zc.com and such), we were the only game in ZC town. We're fine with co-existing -- we don't want to compete. But some of the implications are pretty competitive in nature. Like ... how do we deal with an official AGN db, and PureZC's "fansite" database? There's not going to be a difference between them at first.

So...you're planning on updating your site but you're mad at us for wanting to update ours?

#18 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

I seriously don't understand why we just can't find a way to merge PZC and AG.

#19 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(Guardian @ Oct 22 2012, 01:09 PM) View Post

For the record I'm personally in favor of that (and I don't speak for WL, CAD, or any other member of the AGN administration), at least long-term. But there is a lot of bad blood between the two sites and unfortunately I don't think a merger is politically viable, at least in the near future.

#20 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

AG doesn't even get much traffic though. I'm sorry if this sounds crude, but why does it even exist anymore? Most of the developers are here now, and it's usually bustling. PZC has a great database, staff (Which could be part of the merging), and members.
I'm in favor of merging them...

#21 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

As c-a-d pointed out, there were talks involving the future of both PureZC and AGN. (Just to let everyone know, Nick and myself were the only PZC staff members involved in these discussions.) Unfortunately, for various reasons that won’t be described, these talks dissolved. But, what’s done is done, and I think we should move forward.

I just wanted to say that PureZC will be staying as-is for right now, but I wanted to wish you all the best for moving forward. icon_smile.gif Whatever my own beliefs are, I still understand that the course you all are taking is what you all believe is for the best of ZC, and I respect that. PureZC will not be attempting to get in the way of your site changes, and we’ll definitely support you in your efforts.

Hopefully these changes will help ZC prosper and flourish more than ever before. icon_smile.gif

#22 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(Bagel @ Oct 22 2012, 12:34 PM) View Post

It hurts to be run over by a bus.

There's an implication running underneath this whole thing. What's supposed to happen to PureZC?

I don't think anything is going to Happen to PureZC. This place will keep on ticking. With or without AGN.

QUOTE( Guardian)

AG doesn't even get much traffic though. I'm sorry if this sounds crude, but why does it even exist anymore? Most of the developers are here now, and it's usually bustling. PZC has a great database, staff (Which could be part of the merging), and members.

AGN exist for the sake of being the home of Zelda Classic. that's all. And traffic has been picking up over there pretty good.
In all I don't think AGN and PureZC need to merge. they are both different Web sites that can offer different things.

#23 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

I wanted to ask this when I first read the topic, but it was five in the morning and I really needed sleep at that point...

What kind of stuff was meant when the announcement mentioned artists? I've been practicing my art stuff for a while, and I wouldn't mind putting something together for a ZQuest port/update/whatever project.

#24 ctrl-alt-delete

ctrl-alt-delete

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Guardian @ Oct 22 2012, 02:09 PM) View Post

Also in favor. What we wanted was a centralized database which we felt would strengthen ZC, instead of numerous databases split over several sites. We tried to compromise numerous times, but frankly, it seemed as though PZC staff was more interested in the future of PZC than they were for the future of ZC itself.

QUOTE(Guardian @ Oct 22 2012, 02:16 PM) View Post

So by "merge" you mean shutting down AGN and moving everything here?

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Oct 22 2012, 02:25 PM) View Post

As c-a-d pointed out, there were talks involving the future of both PureZC and AGN. (Just to let everyone know, Nick and myself were the only PZC staff members involved in these discussions.) Unfortunately, for various reasons that won’t be described, these talks dissolved. But, what’s done is done, and I think we should move forward.

Why aren't we describing the reasons?

#25 Dethl

Dethl

@

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

I think the reasons it didn't work are fairly apparent by the last page of this discussion, honestly.
Do we really need to be slinging around all this shit, guys? Come on. Try to keep it to the discussion of the new direction of AGN/ZC, not flinging sticks at each other because one website is supposedly better than the other.

Phone dethl out.

#26 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(ctrl-alt-delete @ Oct 22 2012, 02:53 PM) View Post

Also in favor. What we wanted was a centralized database which we felt would strengthen ZC, instead of numerous databases split over several sites. We tried to compromise numerous times, but frankly, it seemed as though PZC staff was more interested in the future of PZC than they were for the future of ZC itself.
So by "merge" you mean shutting down AGN and moving everything here?
Why aren't we describing the reasons?
I understand that you may be aggravated that things didn’t end up going well with the discussions, and I’m sorry for that, but the last thing that’s needed is a big public argument about these things. If you want to point fingers at me and blame me, fine. I can take it. But I’m not going to sit here and let this devolve into petty arguments. That won’t help ZC in any way. It’s fights like these that have ruined other online communities and projects.

ZC is being open source, and AGN is getting site revamps. Let’s just focus on that.

#27 ctrl-alt-delete

ctrl-alt-delete

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Oct 22 2012, 03:06 PM) View Post

I understand that you may be aggravated that things didn’t end up going well with the discussions, and I’m sorry for that, but the last thing that’s needed is a big public argument about these things. If you want to point fingers at me and blame me, fine. I can take it. But I’m not going to sit here and let this devolve into petty arguments. That won’t help ZC in any way. It’s fights like these that have ruined other online communities and projects.

ZC is being open source, and AGN is getting site revamps. Let’s just focus on that.

AGN = zc.com.

Lol? I was stating an opinion. I didn't point fingers at you. If you recall, ALL of PZC's staff was involved in the original topic created by ST.

Honestly, I couldn't care less that "things didn't end up going well with the discussions." No skin off my back. I just think we should be obligated to be honest with the entire community about the attempts we made to "move forward" together.

#28 Matthew Bluefox

Matthew Bluefox

Meow

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

ZC on the Nintendo DS ... that would be cute. icon_biggrin.gif

#29 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(Matthew Bluefox @ Oct 22 2012, 02:58 PM) View Post

ZC on the Nintendo DS ... that would be cute. icon_biggrin.gif

Is there any way of getting the DS SDK?

The trickiest part of porting ZC to a new platform is its reliance on Allegro. The first step would be to port Allegro, or strip Allegro out of ZC entirely.

#30 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

DS? Wii? PlayStation? Probably more like the Xbox 2,880! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

I don't see any point in arguing and whining. Lets just be glad that ZC will someday be open sourced. Pure ZC hasn't gotten thrown under a bus. It's not the end of the world. Calm down. Before this it was speculated that after 2.5 Zelda Classic would die. No more. Imagine the capabilities to patches, added on content, and the like. This is a good day for Zelda Classic! Rejoice!

-Strike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users