Contest 24 hour quest styles contest

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

I've just realized that I'm too busy to join anyways, so good luck, everyone!

#62 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:20 PM

A little over an hour in, and first area's laid down. No enemies yet though. 12/64 screens. Hopefully I can finish mapping tonight and spend tomorrow balancing/testing.
  • Jared likes this

#63 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

Starting phase 2 of the final boss now.
3s52hj.jpg
  • Lüt likes this

#64 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:05 PM

It's midnight, first thing Sunday morning for me. I can start now right?

-Strike

#65 Gouanaco

Gouanaco

Death Knight

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:41 AM

Wait, wait, wait... Can I do this too? I'd really like to participate! I could get it in to you (Gouanaco) by tomorrow evening!

Ah sure, try and get it in as soon as possible

I doubt starting Sunday is allowed. He said all entries are due by Monday, but he's in Australia, so Monday for him is Sunday for the Americas.

Anyways, work got off a little late but I'm about to start mine up, going from 7 to 7. I didn't get much sleep last night so I'm feeling kinda tired and it probably won't be very good, but we'll see what happens.

Yeah ah, I meant Mondays for latest timezone but yeah overall try and get them finished by the end of the weekend. I am hoping to have all entries done by either Australia's Monday afternoon which would be Sunday night for most.

Edited by Gouanaco, 26 March 2017 - 01:42 AM.

#66 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:03 AM

Went slightly over time by a few hours, but it's done. Can we still submit and just be excluded from polls or something?

#67 Gouanaco

Gouanaco

Death Knight

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:20 AM

Went slightly over time by a few hours, but it's done. Can we still submit and just be excluded from polls or something?

Do you want to be excluded?

Its not really that big of an issue if you tip over, 24 hours vs 30 isnt to much of a difference. Its just the idea behind having a limited time frame to work on your quest. I personally don't have any objections if you want to put it up against others but its upto you and the others. :)

• Naru likes this

#68 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:22 AM

I'm going to have to drop out, sorry. :( I would rather not get into the reasons but I'll show some of the stuff I made after the contest is over. Good luck to everyone else, I look forward to seeing what comes out of this!

#69 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:29 AM

Do you want to be excluded?
Its not really that big of an issue if you tip over, 24 hours vs 30 isnt to much of a difference. Its just the idea behind having a limited time frame to work on your quest. I personally don't have any objections if you want to put it up against others but its upto you and the others. :)

We'd like to be entered, but if the others would prefer not in the interest of fairness, that's okay too.

#70 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:53 AM

69% of screens mapped (44/64 screens, 3/5 areas). Intro in place. Bosses (and cutscenes) working. Final boss is mostly working, but not implemented. I'm about to crash for the night. I'll probably set my alarm for 10 (9 hours more before deadline), map out the last 20 screens, place enemies down, then spend my remaining time balancing the difficulty and tweaking the subscreen and map and stuff to be as pretty as time allows (it'll probably be ugly). This is equal parts fun and nightmarish.
  • Shane, Gouanaco, Evan20000 and 2 others like this

#71 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:23 AM

I actually finished! :eek:

That's not a thing I can say very often.

Definitely agree about it being a fun/nightmarish combo. Took me right back to college finals week. I'm only posting now because I literally leaned back and collapsed when it was done (no sleep ftw).

SO, here's the thing...

We'd like to be entered, but if the others would prefer not in the interest of fairness, that's okay too.

...I was going to mention something to this extent.

I spent the full 24 hours designing stuff. Probably 30 minutes over. However, that was designing, not playing and testing. There were a number of things I did in this, that I hadn't done before, and didn't work the way I told them to (or at least, the way I thought I set them up). It also took me a few hours of testing/research/instruction-reading to get things fully functional.

Now, I did keep a copy of the quest at the 24-hour-ish mark when design phase ended. It has the enemies with the bugged-out sprites, the warps that land you in an inescapable black pit, the malfunctioning secret scripts/series, the boss shutters that get stuck closed... if you're into that brand of precise-24-hour legitimacy. But I thought people would want a playable quest instead of an authentic but unplayable 24-hours-to-the-minute quest, so I made it playable by working out some of the downright obnoxious malfunctions, after it had been built.

So I can promise everybody, what I had around the 24-hour mark is what stayed. I just needed to make sure the stuff I had, actually worked. And honestly, by that point, I was far too tired to do any creative design anyway.

So, that's how it stands. If people needed time to be sure that what they worked on during the timeframe was actually functional and playable, I'm certainly not one to complain.

• Gouanaco and Evan20000 like this

#72 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

I don't mind it either. :)

• Naru likes this

#73 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

Nope, don't mind.

• Naru likes this

#74 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

My quest is going along alright. I hope I'll be able to finish it :0

-Strike
  • Lüt likes this

#75 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

Hoo boy, 72 screen to draw. Fair warning, this quest may not be the prettiest thing I've made, but hopefully it'll be fun to play at least. Planning, scripts, and tiles are a go, and I'm almost done picking all the MIDIs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contest, 24, hour, quest, styles, contest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users