Final Dungeon and General Progress

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:48 AM

It's almost been five months since the last formal update. Remember that end of summer release I was shooting for? Yeah... ain't school grand? Anyways, I've got an announcement to make. I've been hard at work since then, and the final dungeon, the Sky Tower, is now (nearly) complete.

CWuPg2X.png

Just like before the dungeon is high up in the sky, split in half along the Heaven's day/night border. However, things are pretty different aside from that. Moving platforms make appearances here and there, and Link will find more than a few uses for his Magnet Shot, to pull himself across pits, to manipulate certain puzzles, and to stun some of the tougher enemies he'll encounter here. And of course, as you can see from the screenshot, Rose will be accompanying him for the dungeon (assuming you're on the path for the best ending). But that's not all that's changed this time around.

FRmCy6I.png
AVD6XtC.png

The dungeon features a day/night mechanic of sorts. However, due to the nature of the dungeon, half-day and half-night, day is never truly changed to night; rather, the current state of each half of the dungeon is swapped. The time of day has influences on things, of course. On upper levels (pictured here), snow tends to accumulate at night, allowing Link passage over certain obstacles. During the day, this snow melts and flows to the lower levels of the dungeon, where it fills in pits that Link can swim across. But of course, a day/night mechanic isn't the only kind of puzzle this dungeon features.

iZk8mPA.png

The mirror puzzles here will test your wit, combining the usage of the dungeon items from all three main dungeons: Boomerang, Magnet Shot, and Wand. It's a new approach to an old idea that I think turned out quite nicely.

You may have noticed the passive subscreen looks different now. It's part of a reworking of the entire subscreen that's been consuming some of my attention recently.

1qiAtoG.png

The active subscreen is more or less done (aside from creating custom maps for the main dungeons to use), while the passive subscreen is still a work in progress (the health meter will most likely be changed at some point, once I figure out for certain what the maximum number of hearts will be for the quest).

So now the question you're probably asking: What's left to be done, and when will the quest be done. Here's a little checklist of things left.
  • Finish fine tuning the Sky Tower. While it's playable from start to finish, there are some bugs that need to be squashed and some rooms that need a bit of balancing. This shouldn't take too long though.
  • Go back and redo parts of the Tidal Sanctum. The current dungeon, being an edit of LotH DX's, stands out big time compared to the brand new Magma Sanctum and Sky Tower, and frankly just isn't very good. I plan to go back, add some more puzzles, shuffle some rooms around, and the like. Hopefully this also won't take too long.
  • Cutscenes! This one might take a while. All the cutscenes up until the Sky Tower are done, but this still leaves me with a lot to do.
  • Final area and final boss. This one's gonna be a biggie. I have a good bit of the fight planned out in my head, but scripting it's another matter altogether.
  • Subscreen work. Shouldn't be a big deal.
  • Beta testing, balancing, big fixing, and general polishing. This one could very well take as long as everything else combined. I'm not keen on rushing out a buggy and unfinished product.
Now with all that, I'd love to finish this by Christmas. That said, I'm not gonna get too optimistic here; school's as much of a killer as always, and finals are fast approaching. With that said though, I have nearly a month off starting the week before Christmas. So I'm tentatively shooting for a release date some time in January, although that's not set in stone by any means. Hopefully, though, there won't be too much longer to wait.
  • Zeldaman23, Jared, Demonlink and 3 others like this

#2 Soma C.

Soma C.

Mr. Coreaix

• Members

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:54 PM

Everything looks great!  Is it just me, though, or is the Sky Tower slightly .... taller .... this time?  Iow, did it have at least 10 floors last time?  I actually don't remember....either way, can't wait to try it out!  And if I were you, I wouldn't feel rushed at all, especially if this is a remix of a quest you've already released.  Take a cloudy gem, polish it, polish it some more (ok polish it a third time for good measure), THEN release it!   lol

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

Is it just me, though, or is the Sky Tower slightly .... taller .... this time?  Iow, did it have at least 10 floors last time?

So that's maybe a bit misleading; the main dungeon consists of basically two floors. However, I wanted to address the issue before where Floor 1 wasn't very high up, 2 was WAY up there, and 3 was basically in space, because it made almost no sense. So the floors this time are numbered 1, 10, and 100, with lots of implied walking up stairs in between.

#4 Soma C.

Soma C.

Mr. Coreaix

• Members

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

Ah...makes sense...I had this dream a few years ago and it has the distinct pride of being the one I've never been able to forget, and it's stuck with me so well, it's going into the story I'm writing.....and it deals with a sort of "walkway" if you will, that leads right to the Heavens, or in this case, wherever it's going to lead in my fiction....I've named it the Divine Skyway.....think of it as a doorway you can see on the ground, the whole structure resembles a covered staircase, and you start going upward as soon as you pass through the door.....At the very top, the whole thing exits out into a kind of "arena" in the sky.....oddly enough, seeing your original Sky Tower dungeon reminded me of that, and this does all the more....you, sir, have helped to inspire me more! :slycool: :snide:

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

I would love to beta test, or even help script :D I may not be a scripting god, but I can make some pretty simple but cool scripts. 

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

oddly enough, seeing your original Sky Tower dungeon reminded me of that, and this does all the more....you, sir, have helped to inspire me more! :slycool: :snide:

Awesome! Glad I could help inspire you! Of course, Sky Tower didn't come about in a vacuum; Pineconn and Jupiter were my two biggest inspirations for the original, so shoutout to both of them.

I would love to beta test, or even help script :D I may not be a scripting god, but I can make some pretty simple but cool scripts.

Thanks for the offer! However, I'm good in both those departments. I've got 3-4 beta testers at the moment, and I can handle most of my own scripting. Again though, thanks for the offer!

#7 Soma C.

Soma C.

Mr. Coreaix

• Members

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

Now that you mention it Russ, the original Sky Tower does remind me of the Tower of Winds in Pineconn's Link to the Heavens level 8....which was an amazing level by the way....speaking of Pineconn, I hope that he does another quest someday, because both of his existing ones (well three if you count End of Time's un-remastered cut) are well-done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users