Now accepting Moderator applications.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#31 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

I applied. I'm not just interested in the job, but I would like to lend a hand too.

#32 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Mar 8 2012, 02:31 PM) View Post

I applied. I'm not just interested in the job, but I would like to lend a hand too.

Same here. Power is nice and all, but it isn't the point of being a mod.

#33 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

I do like that analogy of being a janitor. It works. Also what works, is like being a manager of a retail store. You have to be friendly, knowledgeable about just about everything, (Or able to ask another without seeming like a fool.) and representative of everything there. You need to be familiar with what people want, what they need, how to say yes and how to say no, when to agree with people and when to kick them out.

People who want to apply can't wait to see what it's like. The people on the other end occasionally wish to take a vacation and not have any responsibility. You do the math. It's like a gardener with all of his tools bending over backwards to make something beautiful. He's got tools that other people don't, and knows how to use them effectively, but it's still backbreaking labor and you're still responsible for the outcome of your work.

It's also true, for the most part, that no real details or template was provided. You're free to make your own. The more you write, the more of an insight that's gotten about you as a person. Everyone can change over time, which is an observable thing, though what goes on in a person's mind, on the other hand, isn't observable.

#34 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Mar 8 2012, 06:38 PM) View Post

We decided on purpose not to explain too much, because we wanted to see what people could understand on their own first when applying.

There's a research where people where asked the same question with two answer formats. One was a questionaire with items of which one was to be marked with a cross, the other one was a free format where the interviewee could answer anything they wanted. The question was "What do you think is the most important thing to teach a child?". On the questionaire (where you had to put the cross) about 80% of people chose "to form opinions and understandings of their own". On the interview with the free answer format, only about 5% answered this.

What I am getting at is that I think many people agree that a moderator job is more then some bonus powers and bragging rights if you asked them whether they believe so. However, when you tell them "We are taking applications", I doubt that anybody would write in her or his application what s/he thinks are the tasks and responsibities of a moderator. Now, if you are looking for people that have this kind of understanding sort of "intuitively" (in lack for a better term to say that this understanding is always on their mind when it comes to the whole moderator thing) then the way you are trying to find them (i.e. this whole thread) seems to me to rather fail to accomplish that goal. There's the "GIGO principle" of making questions: garbage in, garbage out. It is relevant to this kind of thing. (Now, that sounds unfriendlier than I want it to. I'm just trying to make a point that this procedure is not the best way to find what you seek if I understood correctly what that would be.)

So, my point still is that a little more clearing of the matter would be more approriate for this kind of thing rather than a casual "by the way, we are taking applications for moderator positions". Good luck with this, though! It will surely be interesting to see what will come from this.

#35 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Out of curiosity, how much time per week do you think is required for the position?
I'm guessing I'm one of several people who just aren't online often enough.
If I had the time, I still might not apply, just curious.

Edited by Cukeman, 08 March 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#36 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Mar 8 2012, 03:42 PM) View Post

Out of curiosity, how much time per week do you think is required for the position?
I'm guessing I'm one of several people who just aren't online often enough.
If I had the time, I still might not apply, just curious.

One of the reasons that the staff are looking for ... ... well, ... more staff, ( icon_heh.gif ) is to provide additional coverage for decision-making and to watch the forums for spot discoveries. It really is the difference between having one police car patrolling the streets and five. Problems of all sorts may be missed that could threaten some sort of established harmony when there's only one person spotting potential issues of any sort.

Oh. Actually, in case you're wondering, Cukeman, if you have any ideas or input as to how the site currently is or is run, do please drop us a note in the Dropbox forum. The staff definitely read those and appreciate any input. Even PM me (I'm extremely open / open minded, and it's absolutely a pleasure to speak with anyone at any time. icon_biggrin.gif Guaranteed.) with any ideas and I'll be glad to give some feedback.

Intelligence is universal, I feel. A moderator position is really just another person scouting around for issues. Anyone can lend wit and intellect to any given scenario. Anyone who shuts down a good idea needs to have their priorities straightened out. I mean if there's a problem arising in public, it's not like it's hidden away in the staff room. The staff room is where solutions are devised - just like the solutions that one can come up with on one's own from one's own perspective.

Seriously, run me a PM if you're concerned about anything. We'll share insights. icon_smile.gif It'll be fun. ^-^

#37 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

I redid my application and resubmitted it, I hope that isn't a problem. If so, I would like to humbly apologize. I just felt the need since my first application was rushed due to me having to get ready to go to school. Again I apologize for any inconvenience, but if the site staff could look at my new one I would greatly appreciate it.

#38 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

No problem. icon_smile.gif *deletes the first one* Absolutely no reason why time constraints like that should limit oneself.

#39 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Thank you very much ShadowTiger! I very greatly appreciate that!

#40 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

I would apply if I weren't planning on going on a mission soon. It would be pretty pointless to be a moderator for only a few months.

#41 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

I'd love to be a mod, but I'm too much of a troublemaker. I stir things up everywhere I go. I'd be a terrible moderator.

#42 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(DavidReinold @ Mar 9 2012, 11:30 PM) View Post

I'd love to be a mod, but I'm too much of a troublemaker. I stir things up everywhere I go. I'd be a terrible moderator.

Really? I'd see you as a great mod, DR. Maybe it's just the brony in my speaking there, though. icon_razz.gif

#43 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

This post serves as a last call. If anybody else still wishes to apply, you have till sometime this afternoon (my time). Roughly 12 hours from now. We have plenty of applications at this point, so there is no need to keep it open for that much longer.

#44 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

I'd apply, but... well, the staff knows why I won't icon_lol.gif

#45 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

I didn't see any restrictions in the first post. Did you? NoeL, I would be downright offended if you didn't apply. icon_razz.gif

Firefox thought this entire post was a spelling error. I need to get that checked out by my local veterinarian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users