Star Citizen RSI Chros Roberts Wing Commander Freelancer Space Flight

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

My brand new spit-shined Origin 325a. It's just so sleek and sexy. It even has an ice maker in the back, I hear.

... So yeah, I've always been a huge, huge fan of the Wing Commander series. It's one of the first serious Space Combat flight sims that has a complex plotline and large amounts of immersion.

So Chris Roberts, the guy behind Wing Commander, is back to ensure his legacy doesn't die out. His brainchild, Star Citizen, is that happy mix of Wing Commander and Freelancer, the other Space Flight Combat sim that everyone seems to drool over. (With good reason; I love the hell out of it.)

It's just about to reach $14,000,000. Ain't that something now.

The game looks to be like the best of all possible worlds, to a degree. I feel like they're hyping it, but from the few details I've already heard, it really can't not be anything but what anyone can expect from a fourteen million dollar Indie game. Geez.

#2 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

I'm really interested in this game. Considering the talent involved, I'm sure it will be nothing short of excellent. I thought it was really interesting that at the same time as the Star Citizen kickstarter was going on, Richard Garriott came back to the table wtih a kickstarter for his new game, Shroud of the Avater (which I backed!), which also sound really fun and exciting. It puts a smile on my face to see some of the legends of PC gaming making their way to the forefront again.

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Oh absolutely. In fact I'm a bit surprised that I didn't back Shroud of the Avatar. I feel like if it isn't running on the Ultima 7 Engine, it's not worth playing. (I seriously, seriously love that gaming engine.)

#4 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

I loved it in Ultima 7. Serpent Isle... it started wearing on me. Really fast, actually.

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Oh just wait until you use Exult Studio to make your own mansion.

But that's something for another topic, I suppose, .. as much as it pains me to steer the topic away from Ultima 7.  :puppyeyes:  Heh.

So one of the things I'm really looking forward to in Star Citizen (Henceforth known as "SC" - and not "Sucky Customer" either, as it shall formerly be known.) is the persistent economy. A quantity of iron, for example, isn't just a number. It's an actual existing stock, which you can trace around the galaxy. It is spawned on universe creation, from whatever asteroid or mining colony, and is shuttled around by traders, miners, pirates, and whomever, and can be sold to someone and turned into missiles or hull components or what-have-yeh.

So if you're on your way to a trade station with a load of iron, but it gets stolen along the way, guess who won't be able to make new ship components? Yep. Whoever was going to buy them. Aint' that just a spoon-less cuppa puddin.

I wonder if it would be possible to actually hold a large amount of material for ransom as a pirate. Huh.

#6 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

It's a great concept, and if it works the way it sounds it will be fantastic. Whenever someone mentions a living economy in a space game, I get EVE Online vibes. For... better of for worse, I suppose.

StarMade has a similar concept, but it's horrendously broken as of right now. We destroyed 3 pirate ships and sold the cargo for about 8 million credits. The most expensive ship component is about 3500 credits. So... it can go both ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Citizen, RSI, Chros Roberts, Wing Commander, Freelancer, Space, Flight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users