Photo

Zelda 2 - Side scrolling. Back from the dead.

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:14 AM

*****************************Update*****************************
*The name of this quest is now "Zelda II Classic"
*The quest now uses version 2.5 instead of 2.11
*The quest also now features a fully smooth scrolling overworld in addition to sideview scrolling.
*Many game-play features have been implemented since this first demo, as well. A new game-play demo
will be released soon.

Back in ancient times (2007) I posted about a Zelda 2 quest and even showed some screenshots. I may have actually released a demo, I'm not sure... Anyway a series of events happened that kept me from working on various projects, Zelda 2 included and I've been absent sense then.

So I was looking at old files on my hard drive and realized that I still have the quest and it still works. So I'm going to post my prototype demo - the quest file is open and un-passworded for anyone who wants to see how its done. And if people are interested I'll finally work on it again and finish it up. The only problem is that it was done in 2.11 b 16. This version probably isn't linked anywhere so I included it in the demo zip. If I continued it the first task would be to upgrade it to the latest beta.

So what's in the prototype demo? 5 smooth scrolling side view areas from the game, including collision detection with the environment. There are some partially working prototype enemies in the first section - they don't move but do die and do damage the player. How is this done? Scripting of course! Basically each screen actually stores 5 or 6 scrolling screens worth of data and warps on the edges to the next screens (where appropriate). It handles going off an edge and being in the correct place in the scrolling. The collision/scrolling data is stored on each screen via FFCs and variables. The scripts handle collision detection and scrolling. Of course there are bugs, especially with jumping animations. It does use big link, who can run and jump on obstacles.

Here's some screenshots - I posted some of these before (a long time ago):
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image

And here's the demo itself, including 2.11 b 16. Feel free to look at the quest file, but good luck figuring it out. If people are interested I can write a more thorough description.

I borrowed some webspace from a friend of mine to post this so it won't disappear like some free hosting packages.
http://members.gamed..._Preview_BK.zip

Please let me know what you think. Is this worth picking up again? Are people interested in quests like this?

[***Update***]
Videos made so far that show this quest in action in Zelda Classic, most recent first. More information and screenshots are presented throughout this thread.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xI4BqVwQVXc
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0zqpPomznVI
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ThBYndcku60
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZfNeLSLF7mc
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hu81TwlW96Y
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sFjVPsKdqw8

Edited by blue_knight, 01 March 2009 - 11:44 PM.

#2 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:20 AM

Visually impressive. I'm guessing you're using money for experience? (Easiest way to start off)

It sounds like it's a lot of work to set up, though. Is this really useful as anything other than a demo? It'd be cool to see as a quest, yes, but whether it'd be cool enough to justify the amount of work it will require depends on how long this took you.

#3 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE(blue_knight @ Jan 31 2009, 04:14 AM) View Post

Please let me know what you think. Is this worth picking up again? Are people interested in quests like this?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES, YES!!!!

Please continue this! I really liked Zelda 2 and would love to see it's engines ported, somehow, to ZC. (Along with actually being able to select other weapons/items for the combat areas, money, etc.)

Edited by Alestance, 31 January 2009 - 06:17 AM.

#4 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

Looks very cool man. I'd play it but ZC doesn't run on my mac ...

I would like to see more shots though. icon_slycool.gif

#5 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:33 AM

I got two words for you: CONTINUE IT!

Looks awesome mannnn.

#6 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

Wow! It's obvious you put a lot of work into this, so I'd say you should continue it! Awesome work! icon_biggrin.gif

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

I'm donwloading it right now. It looks awesome! Keep going with it!

Although, if you're using beta 16, you might run into some problems. It's horribly outdated, and you'll need to upgrade to a newer alpha and edits some of the scripts if you want this to be able to be played on 2.5.

#8 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

I haven't downloaded it yet, it'll be about another half hour...dial-up sucks.

But it looks really awesome, no, seriously, don't stop.

If you update to a 2.5 alpha, you'll need to change the scripts around, 'cause the commands have been changed a bit. But it would make the game a whole lot better, in my opinion.

#9 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

I tried to run it in the build included with the zip, though it didn't work for me, even when I added Alleg52.dll; so instead I ran it in 2.5 beta build 899.
There was some problems, like that Link's sword appeared near his crotch when he slashed, and that he kept flipping horizontally when he jumped up in the air.
I don't know if these particular gltiches are only to this build, but still, I understand that this is just a demo.
I do think you've done pretty darn good job so far, even despite being just a test demo.
Keep up the good work, I'd love to see something like this in final form! icon_thumbsup.gif

#10 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

HeavyTitanium: there are some bugs in it still. The main thing was to get the smooth side scrolling with collision working as well as properly moving between screens. For example if you move to the next side scrolling section and then go back, you'll start on the correct side. Also, you'll notice that items, such as the heart container in one of the last sections, still work and scroll properly. Jumping animation needs fixing and proper combat with the sword/shield still need to be done. Just to be clear there is only ONE side scrolling script - the inputs come from the FFCs themselves. Oh and I'm quite suprised that it worked in 2.5 beta, I guess upgrading it won't be that bad. icon_smile.gif

Radien: It's certainly usable for a quest. It's more work, I admit. But really as much time as some people spend on each screen its not that much more. icon_razz.gif And its a simpler tileset then some use - because smoothscrolling was still fairly new to the NES for a game this size - so that helps. Also the floor/ceiling and repeating background scrolling don't need to use FFCs, so some scenes are simpler to pull off. For example in the cave sections, the ligher color background just uses special combos and the scrolling is pretty easy. Or the jumping sections with water - the death when hitting the water is done via standard combos (since its the "floor").

Everyone else: Thanks for the comments.

Next step: a new prototype demo in the latest beta, with more areas and features.
Please note that I still consider these demos "prototype demos." Meaning showing and testing the feasibility of the "technology." Of course sections of the final game are completed but I wouldn't consider this to be a real "game demo" yet. Not until there is some real game play other then platforming.

Edited by blue_knight, 31 January 2009 - 10:15 PM.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

Well, if it's working well so far, best of luck with it. I'd actually think it'd be better to make a new quest in the Zelda 2 style than to remake Zelda 2. I'm not sure which you're doing, but I'd encourage new content, but in the old style. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 31 2009, 10:50 AM) View Post
I'm donwloading it right now. It looks awesome! Keep going with it!

Although, if you're using beta 16, you might run into some problems. It's horribly outdated, and you'll need to upgrade to a newer alpha and edits some of the scripts if you want this to be able to be played on 2.5.

"Outdated" is relative in the later ZC betas. You can "upgrade" and end up with something much worse than what you started depending on what you're trying to do.

DoR is still in beta 15, and it's not that bad. So if he wants to decide whether to keep using beta 16, it'd be better to play by ear than to immediately assume it'd be better to convert to a later version.

#12 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

Good points Radien. The idea is to initially reproduce Zelda 2 but then add enhancements. For example use a death system more coherent with later zelda games. Basically Z2 was one of the harder (if not hardest) in the series which wouldn't be so bad - except that you spawned in the very beginning if you lost all your lives. In other zelda games you'd atleast start at the beginning of the dungeon / cave. This alone will make it much less frustrating.

I'm also thinking about adding more content, new dungeons, new towns and so on. So much of the original content will still be in the game but there will be new stuff in the same style. But I'm not sure yet how much of this there will be.

#13 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

Looks really cool. I'd play it, but I'm on my Wii right now, and it doesn't do ZC. But when I get on a regular comp, I'll give it a shot.
One question-is there(or will there be) the option to use magic like in the original AoL?

#14 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE(T. Platinum @ Jan 31 2009, 09:12 PM) View Post

Looks really cool. I'd play it, but I'm on my Wii right now, and it doesn't do ZC. But when I get on a regular comp, I'll give it a shot.
One question-is there(or will there be) the option to use magic like in the original AoL?
That will be supported. Right now its not much more then a prototype demo. It shows the smooth scrolling, collisions and graphics - not much gameplay yet.

Edited by blue_knight, 01 February 2009 - 12:27 AM.

#15 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

You...you did this...use...using Zelda Classic...? Seriously?!

*Is shocked*

I really wish I could try this out now, but, ugh, homework to do and me goofing off like this doesn't get them done. Oh cow, man! I'm far beyond amazed! Seriously, do as much as you can with this! It's incredible!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users