Photo

What do you primarily use to read your email?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: When you're at your computer, what do you use to read email?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:57 AM

So, I use Thunderbird to download my Gmail. I'm curious whether I'm the only one, because I keep talking to people who think I'm weird for not doing it in a browser. Of course, I always have the browser option open to me, since I use Gmail, but I like being able to use a dedicated program so I don't have to always rely on a browser. icon_smile.gif Can I be assured that I'm not the only one?

Incidentally, if anyone answers "something else," I'd really like to hear what you DO use. Because I can't think of anything you can read email with that doesn't fall under those two categories. Of course, there are cell phones and mobile devices... but I'd like you to disregard those, because this poll is about choice of computer programs, something which isn't much of an issue unless you're using a computer.

#2 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

I use a browser for my email. I don't use a program.

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

I use a browser, but back in the late 90s I used Outlook Express for my Prodigy email, and before that I had AOL with the "you got mail". Web based email has improved over the last decade to the point that it works good enough for me.

#4 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:00 AM

Firefox/Gmail.

I used to use the E-Mail clients like Outlook Express, but I heard they had bunches of spyware and it wasn't even that convenient anyway.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

Windows Mail. It's just convenient to be able to click one button at the bottom of my screen and have all my email appear.

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

Eh, using a browser's just much easier for me. icon_shrug.gif

#7 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

I use Apple Mail almost primarily, except for replying to emails from certain email accounts. For that I use gmail. I have 3 emails forwarded to Mail -- my gmail account, my UCF email, and my professional work email. All have different gateways (gmail.com, live.com, and my school's internal email gateway), so I do not check 3 email pages. I have gmail retrieve all of them, and then forward to my program. I use gmail for replying to some emails, as the only sender that I can use from Apple Mail is the gmail one, but thru the web interface I can use all three. icon_smile.gif

#8 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

I use Outlook to check my "normal" email, and my browser to check my GMail and campus email. Outlook works very well for me, and though I'm tempted to try Thunderbird, I've already got everything set up how I want it.

#9 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

Outlook 2007 becasue both my mail accounts (Private and Internet) would be a hassle to log in and out each 5 mins for so Outlook is easier for me to use plus i like to be able to acces my e-mail while my internet is off plus i've never used a browser becasue it's driffent to what i'm used too

#10 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

I really only use GMail whenever I use my email. I can't be bothered to load up an external program.

#11 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

I also use the browser; no fancy stuff just to read things, and delete spam.

#12 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

Brrrrrrrrowser. I'm always on facebook, so my browser is always open anyway. Wee.

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

I know browser email has improved a lot in the past decade+, but even on GMail, I swear it's still eaten a couple of my messages due to browser-specific issues. icon_confused.gif I also like having everything backed up with a local search function available. Not that it doesn't have problems, mind you...

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Sep 23 2009, 12:55 PM) View Post
I use Outlook to check my "normal" email, and my browser to check my GMail and campus email. Outlook works very well for me, and though I'm tempted to try Thunderbird, I've already got everything set up how I want it.

I use Thunderbird, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It seems to bog down my computer, but I haven't switched, mainly for the exact same reasons you're still using Outlook.

If anyone has any recommendations for a non-Thunderbird, non-Outlook email program that is simple and doesn't bog down most systems, though, I'd be happy to hear it.

#14 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

Browser, and on occasion my phone icon_biggrin.gif

#15 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

I just use Firefox and aol.com. I don't really see the point in using anything fancy. icon_shrug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users