Photo

Screenshot of the Week 436

Sheik Jared Mudkipz EddyTheOliveira Volgia NewJourneysFire Avataro Demonlink

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 436 (50 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

By the way, now that I'm looking at Mudkipz's shot, is that a drunk Link I see at the left side? :lol:

Will stay tuned, that tileset looks like the next big thing in PZC! :D

Yeah, Blue Link had a little too much Chateau Romani over Christmas  :P

I agree, Sheik's Tileset looks to become one of the big ones.

Nulled because of already participating. Don't know which I'd pick though. They are all good.

• Demonlink likes this

#17 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

I agree, Sheik's Tileset looks to become one of the big ones.

Eventhough I first started the tileset project back when I started the Mirror of the Moon project, it is by no means "my" tileset. The bulk of the work is definately Supindahood's and Linkus' effort. I see myself rather as a contributor in terms of actual time and effort spend spriting. I would feel personally offended if you were to give me credit while disregarding their work (the same goes for the contributors that have gone mostly uncredited thus far - Migokalle, Radien and Bourkification being amongst them to name a few).

#18 Mudkipz

Mudkipz

Lurking Khajiit

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Eventhough I first started the tileset project back when I started the Mirror of the Moon project, it is by no means "my" tileset. The bulk of the work is definately Supindahood's and Linkus' effort. I see myself rather as a contributor in terms of actual time and effort spend spriting. I would feel personally offended if you were to give me credit while disregarding their work (the same goes for the contributors that have gone mostly uncredited thus far - Migokalle, Radien and Bourkification being amongst them to name a few).

Sorry. I didn't mean to insult anyone or disregard anyone's work...

#19 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

Sorry. I didn't mean to insult anyone or disregard anyone's work...

Well, I might have worded this a little too harsh. No worries. I just really don't feel good getting all the credit eventhough it's really not my work all that much.

#20 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

There really are a lot of good shots this week. The four I think are best are Avataro's, Demonlink's, Sheik's, and Jared's.

I like Avataro's because the environment really screamed "Fire dungeon!" I especially love the fire sprites themselves (are those from the SNES game The Firemen?). The only problem is that the fire is so detailed, it makes the floor, pots, and walls bland by comparison.

Demonlink nails the forest look with good use of shadows and the DoR set in general. It really does seem peaceful and quiet... I can almost smell the foliage and hear the wind whisper through the trees just by looking at the shot. Gorgeous.

Sheik's is a very solid shot with good composition and a cheery palette, but it doesn't feel as inspired as other shots.

Jared's shot falls into the same category: visually pristine, but uninspired.

After much thought, I voted Demonlink.

#21 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Here are "in-depth" reviews of all entries, because I haven't done these in a while:

EddyTheOliveira, your use of the GB tileset is decent and there is nothing that stands out as bad on the screen. There isn't much that stands out as good either, other than the nice and solid layout. My only real gripe is the ugly subscreen, which is definetly not your fault, but the fault of the EZGBC tilesets and the GB Zelda games. I don't like that the background is yellow. That is just my personal opinion :)

Volgia, just as last time, I have to say that I absolutely love the smoothness of the graphics you used. And the subscreen is phenomenal! But why do you enter with the same screen twice?

NJF, I like what you've done with the stones. All in all, this is a very nice winter screen and I admire the palette. The forest shadow layer that is coming from where the mountain is, gives the screenshot a dark mood to it. The screen is also very solid and has a lot of variety but not a lot of walking space.

Demonlink, that is an amazing use of DoR!! :D What else can I say? It's incredible how much effort must have gone into that screen.

Sheik, that is perfection. Not only is the tileset, you guys have made, so beatiful, colorful and cartoony looking, but the layout of the screen is also really good! The amount and placement of detail is just right. The subscreen is professional. You have no idea how much I'd like to jump into the screenshot and play that quest xD. And Minish Cap was one of my favourite Zelda games, the main reason being the graphics.

Jared, your screen certainly has a Relic of the Past feel to it. The amount of detail is exactly as good as in Sheik's submission and the relaxing palette fits very well for a town.

Mudkipz, there are 4 Links at that festival! Is this Four Swords Adventures? Also, I wonder where the light on the singers / dancers is coming from. Other than that, the screen is a very well usage of the GB tileset. In my opinion, the ground detail is way too crowded though and could be simpler. There is too much variety in it, which can be bad in some cases!
  • Jared and Volgia like this

#22 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

Demonlink, that is an amazing use of DoR!! :D What else can I say? It's incredible how much effort must have gone into that screen.

To be honest not much, about 15 minutes went into that screen. :lol:

#23 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

To be honest not much, about 15 minutes went into that screen. :lol:

Impressive! :O

That is not any less time I put into some of my classic overworld screens, even. But still, the thought of an entire quest with such high quality screens always makes me shiver.

Edited by Avataro, 30 December 2013 - 09:03 PM.

• Demonlink likes this

#24 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

Impressive! :O

That is not any less time I put into some of my classic overworld screens, even. But still, the thought of an entire quest with such high quality screens always makes me shiver.

Yeah, it would be kind of annoying to be making high quality screens every time :D

#25 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

I'm a huge sucker for the GB set and snowy areas, so EddyTheOliveira's shot got my vote.

The firebird tileset shots are nice too [Sheik's morseo than Jared's]... but those ones aren't really doing it for me.

#26 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

My only real gripe is the ugly subscreen, which is definetly not your fault, but the fault of the EZGBC tilesets and the GB Zelda games. I don't like that the background is yellow.

The subscreen is still an early WIP, which I have problems figuring out right now. In the future though, subscreens should be fixed.

#27 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:57 AM

Voted Jared, everything flows well and the unreachable staircase was a nice touch too. I love Sheik's and Avataro's palettes. Eddy's has a nice simplistic use of GB that I love. And the others were great too - a strong way to end SotW for this year. Congrats to everyone who entered.

Actually Avataro, the true GB Zeldas feature a more cream-white subscreen. I'm rather sad EZGBZ 2.0 never really featured the true GB palettes and csets. It's one of my peeves I'm trying to fix for my quest.

Edited by Shane, 31 December 2013 - 06:59 AM.

• Jared likes this

#28 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Omg! I just realized how out of place the Darknut looks in my image. Lol

Oh. I probably should have pointed out that the Darknut guy is an ally in my image. I must have stirred up bad feelings having Link pinned in such a small walkable space with what looks like a Darknut Death Knight.

Lol

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 31 December 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#29 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

There really are a lot of good shots this week. The four I think are best are Avataro's, Demonlink's, Sheik's, and Jared's.

I like Avataro's because the environment really screamed "Fire dungeon!" I especially love the fire sprites themselves (are those from the SNES game The Firemen?). The only problem is that the fire is so detailed, it makes the floor, pots, and walls bland by comparison.

Demonlink nails the forest look with good use of shadows and the DoR set in general. It really does seem peaceful and quiet... I can almost smell the foliage and hear the wind whisper through the trees just by looking at the shot. Gorgeous.

Sheik's is a very solid shot with good composition and a cheery palette, but it doesn't feel as inspired as other shots.

Jared's shot falls into the same category: visually pristine, but uninspired.

After much thought, I voted Demonlink.

Looks like I have missed out on your comments, Nicklegends. Sorry about that!

The extended classic fire in my screenshot is actually made by myself. It does look too detailed. I will see if I can fix that without making it look bad.

Omg! I just realized how out of place the Darknut looks in my image. Lol

Oh. I probably should have pointed out that the Darknut guy is an ally in my image. I must have stirred up bad feelings having Link pinned in such a small walkable space with what looks like a Darknut Death Knight.

Lol

I know that that darknut is not an actual enemy. Isn't he a hero, like Link, somehow? I have played the beginning of the 5 hour demo of yours quest project. Man, I'm really looking forward to playing your full quest in the future, so I can see the entire story!

Edited by Avataro, 31 December 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#30 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

It's looking good for sheik and demonlink here. Demonlink was so surprised when I told him he was tied up with sheik. :P
  • Demonlink likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sheik, Jared, Mudkipz, EddyTheOliveira, Volgia, NewJourneysFire, Avataro, Demonlink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users