Photo

What if...

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

I've been thinking. Imagine if life sentenced or death row criminals were given the opportunity to attain a reduced conviction. Not a major, but something, at least. But there's a catch.

Fight in a modern day gladiator arena.

It's against human rights, surely. But honestly, I would enjoy spectating two child murderers/rapists fight for redemption. They're still criminals, and my opinion would not change if one were to be victorious in a notorious battle.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

It sounds hideously barbaric and I would not condone it despite my hatred of the type of people you used as examples.

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

My immediate response is to attain some sort of redemption for their deeds. Rather than rotting in prison at the expense of the taxpayers for absolutely no positive gain on either end, there ought to be some source of productivity from said inmates.

I'm highly skeptical of the potential for redemption of certain individuals, considering that it's very possible that to have murdered a fellow in the first place they have to be quite insane and over the edge, so I doubt the nature of this productivity will translate over into the public sector in a very visible and obvious way. Nothing like building houses for the poor, no... They could be full of deathtraps and loose nails. I wouldn't live in such a house.

But gladiator matches? Don't we get to see that with monster trucks or in video games already? Not to mention the obvious human horror factor..

#4 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

Eh.

I'd rather it be, like, a Tetris match or something, instead of a bloody actual fight. It'd at least be actually watchable then. icon_razz.gif

#5 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(Marco @ Jan 24 2012, 06:02 PM) View Post
I've been thinking. Imagine if life sentenced or death row criminals were given the opportunity to attain a reduced conviction. Not a major, but something, at least. But there's a catch.

Fight in a modern day gladiator arena.

It's against human rights, surely. But honestly, I would enjoy spectating two child murderers/rapists fight for redemption. They're still criminals, and my opinion would not change if one were to be victorious in a notorious battle.
So murderers would be able to lessen their punishment via... murder?

IPB Image

Edited by Beta Link, 24 January 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#6 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

lol. It's better than rotting in a cell all day, wasting tax dollars. I'd rather they be put on a course for permanent reform, but a gladiator match isn't too bad of an idea. icon_lol.gif

#7 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Terrible idea. We're better than that.

#8 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

Barbaric as it is, I would consider this to be a better alternative to rotting in jail. It would be a choice, after all.

#9 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

All I have to say is
NO

Edited by Yoshidude, 24 January 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#10 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

Somehow, I think the Original Poster is trolling. Call it a hunch.

Butchering fellow criminals is *not* a better alternative to rotting in jail, because:

1. It's murder. Even if it is endorsed by the state, it is still murder.
2. According to the original concept, the winner gets to go free. Just imagine letting a criminal of the worst kind free after he murders again. BAD.
3. It's not like the death penalty at all. Normal executions are supposed to be painless, because their purpose is to keep the world safe from these people. They are not supposed to be retribution (as in, an eye for an eye) for crimes.
4. Criminal justice is not entertainment! Anyone who would watch these fights for fun ought to be locked up with the criminals who participate in them.

#11 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Jan 24 2012, 06:28 PM) View Post

2. According to the original concept, the winner gets to go free. Just imagine letting a criminal of the worst kind free after he murders again. BAD.

Лодно, увижу ета....

"Congratulations! You killed Hitler. Your life sentence is now 100 years in Sibera. Enjoy!"

I never said they become free right then and there. Say this happened, I feel true justification would be, a very large sentence in life, which should be reasonable enough to let you free in the final few years of your life.

#12 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Wow Furion, time to not do drugs for a couple of lifetimes.

Aka. nope.

#13 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

Sounds great, I'd love to watch that.

#14 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE(Yoshidude @ Jan 25 2012, 10:43 AM) View Post

All I have to say is
NO

All I have to say is
I AGREE

#15 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

I for one hate people who kill children/Adults. and rapist, But the idea of haveing them fight it out to the death, to just to have they conviction reduced. is two words "Inhuman" "Stupid" . I think this idea is the most dumbest thing I've ever heard of...

I mean it might be interesting, but come on if we did like watching them kill each other. what has happened to us?
Did we turn into monsters who like watching others in pain?. I really like to think that we won't turn to this ever!, if we did...
I have one thing to say about that...I have lost fate in humanity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users