Question for Anvil Studio Users...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

I know that some of the people here use Anvil Studio for working on MIDI files. I have a couple questions that I want to ask, since I had an idea that I'd like to try, but if I have to do it manually, it probably wouldn't be worth it. (I don't even know if it would sound good.)

Anyways, is there a way to shorten the length of each individual note played in a single track by a uniform amount, without messing with the overall tempo of the song? For example, if I decide that the notes played by a specific instrument are being held too long, and without slowing down the song entirely, I just want to make every single note 50% shorter but still spaced apart the same amount of time, can I do that without manually selecting each note by hand?

As a side question, I have an MIDI file that I tried messing with, and for some reason it kind of broke. All I did was slow the tempo and swap instruments, and a handful of notes on one of the tracks decided to hold as a constant tone for half the song. I checked the notes in the Piano Roll Editor, and they shouldn't do that. If I paused the song and resumed it, it would fix the notes and play properly, but otherwise they'd make your ears bleed. It was a real shame, since it would have sounded really good otherwise. Anybody know why this happened? It did that no matter what player I tried to use. (I tried Anvil Studio's built-in player, Windows Media Player, and ZQuest's "Add MIDI" preview window.)

#2 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:47 PM

I know that some of the people here use Anvil Studio for working on MIDI files. I have a couple questions that I want to ask, since I had an idea that I'd like to try, but if I have to do it manually, it probably wouldn't be worth it. (I don't even know if it would sound good.)

Anyways, is there a way to shorten the length of each individual note played in a single track by a uniform amount, without messing with the overall tempo of the song? For example, if I decide that the notes played by a specific instrument are being held too long, and without slowing down the song entirely, I just want to make every single note 50% shorter but still spaced apart the same amount of time, can I do that without manually selecting each note by hand?

Yeah, it's pretty easy, it's called "Stretch/Compress Time", and you can do it for selectednotes, all notes in track, or all notes in song

As a side question, I have an MIDI file that I tried messing with, and for some reason it kind of broke. All I did was slow the tempo and swap instruments, and a handful of notes on one of the tracks decided to hold as a constant tone for half the song. I checked the notes in the Piano Roll Editor, and they shouldn't do that. If I paused the song and resumed it, it would fix the notes and play properly, but otherwise they'd make your ears bleed. It was a real shame, since it would have sounded really good otherwise. Anybody know why this happened? It did that no matter what player I tried to use. (I tried Anvil Studio's built-in player, Windows Media Player, and ZQuest's "Add MIDI" preview window.)

Yeah, that's happened to me a few times, too. I think it's a bug, but I was never able to fix it. All I could do was delete the whole selection of the song after that point (including time)then re-do it manually. But I'm not very experienced with it, I've only completed one song, and gotten a second mostly done.

Edited by Binx, 01 May 2015 - 10:48 PM.

#3 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

It sounds like that somewhere along the line, the Sustain Pedal Off/Damper Off message was cut.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users