Why Can't I Play MIDI Files In-Browser?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:57 AM

I'm trying to find some decent music to use for a city-scape area of a game I'm making, so I naturally went to VGMusic to pick through the different songs on there and see what would sound good. However, for some odd reason, I can't just right-click on the song and hit "Open in New Tab" anymore. Instead, the browser instantly thinks I want to download the file instead of just listen to it. I know that I used to be able to either open it in a new tab, or even just click on the link to listen to the song, and then right-click on it and hit "Save Link As" when I found something I liked. It'll be far too annoying to have to download each individual song just to listen to five to ten seconds of it, and then delete it and move on.

Does anybody know how I can make it work like it used to? I tried looking it up on Google, but the only results I found were from people who wanted music embedded in the background of a website to play automatically.

#2 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

Which browser are you using?

#3 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

I normally use Google Chrome, but when I found that it wasn't working for this, I tried switching to Internet Explorer. Both of them ended up only letting me download the MIDI files instead of just listening to them.

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

I have the same issue, haven't tried with Chrome but does the same in Firefox. 

#5 JetBox

JetBox

Wizard

• Members

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Ya, it happens. One day it just happened to me. Maybe VgMusic is just doing this. It sucks. Now I have to download a song to listen to it.

#6 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

I noticed this too, I use Chrome as well. It sucks. It has to be a VG Music thing...

#7 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

It's not just VGMusic, it's every site that has a link like that. I went looking around and found a site that specifically said "Left Click to listen, Right Click to download", and had the same thing happen. I looked up what part of the browser is responsible for playing MIDI files like that, and it's Shockwave. Going to the site for Shockwave, I found a couple of people who were complaining about the same exact issue in the support forum. None of them were getting answers, so it's either a known problem that a quick-to-come update is going to fix, or the devs just don't care. I hope it's not the latter.

#8 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:51 AM

If you install Quicktime it will install an add-on for Mozilla Firefox and I think Internet Explorer that will allow media playback within the web browser (Yes, even MIDI)

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

Problem is, I already have that.

#10 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Is the quicktime plugin disabled in Firefox?

#11 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

Nope.

#12 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Huh ... I was doing this fine for files before, but just updated quicktime, and now it prompts me to download the file instead. I'd just revert to the previous version of quicktime, but it insists on telling me I need to update every time I open a file, which makes firefox go a little crazy.

I can go into the firefox application settings to change how it treats midis. Oddly, there are two entries, one for the quicktime plugin, and another that says "always ask," which lacks the plugin as an option. And, of course, the second entry can't be removed ...

Edited by Aevin, 19 July 2013 - 03:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users