• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Hey guys! I just wanted to start thinking about possible laptops I could get. I know next to nothing about them besides OS's, RAM, and other (few) basic things.

Just a question as well, does Zelda Classic work well/the same as it does on Windows 7 (If I decide to go with Windows 8)

Here are a few specifications I want for my possible laptop:

• Sleek, black/dark and stylish. I like my current laptop because it's black, and it's design is nice. The keyboard is very soft and overall pleasing. Nothing that looks odd or ugly. I also like matte laptops. I don't like the glossy finish on many of them.
  • Windows 7. I love Windows 7, though I might go for Windows 8 if I need to. My parents have a Win8 right downstairs...I gotta get a better feel for it.
  • Good RAM and specs. I want to be able to play my current games (League of Legends, The Sims 3) with higher settings, and play bigger games like Skyrim. Please tell me if this is unreasonable for a laptop and my price range.
  • I'm not sure on the price. Most I'd probably go is $500-600.

I have 2 laptops in mind so far:

• Confusing Dell #1. It's physically beautiful, and it's one of the reasons I love it so much. However, it has Windows 8 and that's a bit of a turnoff. From what I know, it's specifications are pretty good. A lot of insight and professional help is needed here, though. (Amazon link)
  • Confusing ASUS #2. This one is nice as well. It's visually pleasing, and it can come with Windows 7 if desired. It's fingertip and palm features are very nice. Again, insight is needed. (Amazon link)

So, there you have it. You know what I like and what. So if I could get more specific and better suggestions, be my guest and post them! Computer nerds and experts wanted. :)

Edit: Here's my current laptop.

Edited by Jared, 02 June 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#2 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

You know after looking them over comparing the ones you have chosen and I'm going to say go with the Asus.

It has some pretty awesome specs, the cpu is pretty good. But unrealisticlly I don't think it could handle Skrim.

It probable could handle League of Legends, and The Sims 3.

(But the sims is poorly coded and won't run decent unless you are under the recommended requirements. :| )

But really its a pretty good one. its a lot better then your current Laptop, and better then the Dell you were looking at.

Now If you want a Laptop that handle a game like skyrim you could always consider this laptop.

http://www.amazon.co...er V3-571G-9686

It does come with windows 8 which is pretty alright, it'll be better when they release the 8.1 update that fixes everything.

That's wrong with windows 8 right now it will even add back the start button :P

But really through Its your choice.

#3 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

You know after looking them over comparing the ones you have chosen and I'm going to say go with the Asus.

It has some pretty awesome specs, the cpu is pretty good. But unrealisticlly I don't think it could handle Skrim.

It probable could handle League of Legends, and The Sims 3.

(But the sims is poorly coded and won't run decent unless you are under the recommended requirements. :| )

But really its a pretty good one. its a lot better then your current Laptop, and better then the Dell you were looking at.

Now If you want a Laptop that handle a game like skyrim you could always consider this laptop.

http://www.amazon.co...er V3-571G-9686

It does come with windows 8 which is pretty alright, it'll be better when they release the 8.1 update that fixes everything.

That's wrong with windows 8 right now it will even add back the start button :P

But really through Its your choice.

They're releasing an update for Windows 8 that adds the Start button back? :O Nice!

Are there any more Asus laptops you recommend like the one I originally posted? 

Edit - And suddenly, I read Asus laptops constantly overheat....:-/

Edited by Jared, 02 June 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#4 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

I found a much better version of the Dell in the first post. I figured I'd make it a separate post, so people will see: http://www.amazon.co...#productDetails

#5 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

They're releasing an update for Windows 8 that adds the Start button back? :O Nice!

Are there any more Asus laptops you recommend like the one I originally posted? 

Yep! start button will make a return, and it'll even have an option that will let you boot to the desktop.

I'm pretty excited so excited in fact I just upgraded back to Windows 8 Pro. :P

It'll be out later this year, and will be free to everyone who owns windows 8.

I don't think I can find any other ones I can recommend other then this one

http://www.amazon.co...5&keywords=ASUS

But I don't you'll get a decent price unless you buy a used one <.<

Other then that one I think the Asus you picked out will be the best one for the money.

And Further inspection it should run a game like skyrim around 30 Fps on medium settings which is pretty good for a laptop. 

And the new dell you posted is alright but nowhere as powerful as that asus :P

So the only thing I'll say now is go with the first asus you have had picked out.

#6 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

But again, I read that ASUS laptops have overheating problems. I won't deal with that. :-/

#7 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Well I heard about that a long time ago. But I've also heard that asus's laptops dot get as hot as they used too.

But if you feel it might overheat or something. you could always get a laptop cooling base.

They are pretty nice to have if you are going to be using it for long periods of time. 

#8 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

But I'd rather not buy something for an already really expensive laptop. It sucks, because the laptop/s was/were close to perfect.

Edited by Jared, 02 June 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#9 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

Well that's how to cookie crumbles sometimes bud, its the way most laptops are most of the times anyways.

But let me remind you it is your choice, not mine. but you were asking for opinions on them.

I'll say go with the one want too, but let me throw this out there I'm sure the other Dell you picked will be fine, it does have a pretty good CPU.

And It should be able to handle League of Legends, and The Sims 3 pretty good.

#10 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

Well, I mean I DO have a long time since I'm getting a new one anyway...so there's always more time to think about which I want to get.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Something you might wanna keep in mind Jared: Windows 8 and ZC hate each other, and I think almost everybody who's tried to ZQuest on Windows 8 has had problems with it. So before you say "Oh yeah, Windows 8 sounds great," you might wanna make sure ZC will actually work for ya. Just something to think about.

#12 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:18 AM

I was thinking about that too. Is it only for full screen though? I never use full screen with ZC.

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:26 AM

From what I've heard, it doesn't matter if it's full screen or not, the editor crashes when you try to place items down or edit shops, and for other people, the player itself is buggy.

• Demonlink likes this

#14 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

Yeah ZC still hates windows 8 I've tried almost everything and no dice...

Only if the devs would look into why its happening. 

#15 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Well, they're working on a 2.51 release, and I'm pretty sure some of the Win 8 bugs have been fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users