Finally Building a Computer :D

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

Today I purchased the processor I'll be using in my new rig. I've never built a computer before, but I've picked out parts and all that fun stuff before.

I'm going for kind of a budget machine, and I already own a case *, DVD drive, and a small 40GB hard drive I can use to get it running (But I'll be getting a 2TB HDD later on). I have a wireless card too. So, I have to buy a CPU, a video card, motherboard, a Power Supply and some RAM. As for the OS, I'll install Windows 7 HP 64 bit, and who knows, I might even make a partition and try Window 8.

I went ahead and got an AMD FX-8150 8-core. It was that or the slightly more expensive i5. I plan to be doing a lot of rendering and such on my computer, so I thought I'd get the eight cores. As for the motherboard, I'm looking at a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. It was one of the cheapest ones with the FX990 chipset, which is needed to fully utilize the CPU. I am getting a middle-of-the-road video card for starters, but I'm liking the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6570 2GB DDR3 so far, and it's cheap. As for RAM, I'm getting 2 4GB sticks of DDR3 1600. I'm still looking at power supplies.

I think this is a good start, and it will be the best computer I've ever owned. I know some members here have built computers, so if anyone has any tips or advice, it's welcome icon_smile.gif

* I really hope I can use this case since I painted it and all, but I'm kind of concerned about the lacking fan support :/ (And, the 5 1/2 Floppy is a bit dated)

Edited by Anthus, 28 October 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#2 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

It seems like it'll be a pretty good build. But Word of advice. Be sure to take your time and have fun.

And I will recommend a PSU if you haven't found one yet. For your video card. It recommends having a 500 Watt or above, So I'll say go with one of these PSU's

XFX Core Edition PRO750W (80 Plus Bronze Certified) 750 watt
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817207015

Or this one.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
http://www.newegg.co...9-021-_-Product

Now Why I recomend these. Is if you want a good stable computer, Use a good brand PSU. and not a cheap non name brand one.
Really I learned this the hard way by buying a cheap one and All I got was problem after problem. Not enough power even though it said it was a 500 watt PSU.

Well I hope that helps.

PS; I couldn't see the image of the case... Facebook won't let me see it <__<

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, I've been told you don't want to skimp on a PSU. It's pretty important considering that is kinda powers the whole deal. But it is pretty fun to finally be able to build a computer. I've put it off for so long, but my laptop is getting old (Though has worked very well for me. Knock on plastic).

Those PSU's look nice. I've been told as well that I shouldn't go with anything unless it is at least bronze certified. I have to admit, I know the least about PSUs out of any computer part, so I don't even know what this means >.> I also browsed some more expensive ones that are gold certified? I'm assuming this has to do with the metal used to make some of the parts.

I saw this power supply and it looks ok, but it is not bronze certified, and one of the reviewers said it fried his motherboard upon start-up.

Oh yeah, I also changed the image link to it works now.

Edited by Anthus, 28 October 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#4 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(Anthus @ Oct 28 2012, 01:32 PM) View Post

Yeah, I've been told you don't want to skimp on a PSU. It's pretty important considering that is kinda powers the whole deal.

Yeah you never want to skimp on the PSU, its the heart of the whole system it pumps the power too all the parts.

Those PSU's look nice. I have to admit, I know the least about PSUs out of any computer part, so I don't even know what this means >.> I also browsed some more expensive ones that are gold certified? I'm assuming this has to do with the metal used to make some of the parts.

What the 80 plus certified is, is way to tell the the power efficiency.
There's five types.

80 PLUS (This is the lowest rated of them all)
80 PLUS Bronze
80 PLUS Silver
80 PLUS Gold
80 PLUS Platinum (The best rated one)

Now what does this mean?

QUOTE(taken from techsupportforums)

What does a Power Supply Certification mean?
The 80-Plus Rating System of a psu is a way to express energy efficiency at specific rated loads. Previous to 2008, the 80-Plus rating was considered the high efficiency standard. After 2008, new standards were added as more efficient power supplies were developed. These higher efficency standards indicate a significant reduction in electricity usage levels compared to less efficient PSU units. Here are the present standards for 80-Plus Certification:

Efficiency Level Certifications for each 80-Plus designation

.........................80 PLUS TestType ...........115V Internal Non-Redundant .............230V Internal Redundant
.........................Fraction of Rated Load ........20% ....50% ....100% ..................20% ....50% ....100%

.........................80 PLUS ..........................80% .....80% .....80% .........................Not defined........
.........................80 PLUS Bronze .................82% .....85% .....82% ...................81% .....85% .....81%
.........................80 PLUS Silver ...................85% .....88% .....85% ...................85% .....89% .....85%
.........................80 PLUS Gold ....................87% .....90% .....87% ...................88% .....92% .....88%
.........................80 PLUS Platinum ...............90% .....92% .....89% ...................90% .....94% .....91%

What this means is if a psu rated for 60% efficiency is using 1000w from the wall outlet, then 400w would be wasted and dissipated as heat. In that same example, if that particular power supply had an 80-Plus rating, only 20% or 200w would be wasted and dissipated as heat. The more efficiency expressed by the 80-Plus Bronze, the 80-Plus Silver, the 80-Plus Gold, and ultimately the 80-Plus Platimum are even more efficient and do not waste electricity.

Therefore, the cost to operate these power supplies goes significantly down as the 80-Plus standard is raised. While one may save a few dollars in purchasing a lower rated power supply, over the lifetime (three or five year warranty) of a power supply, there can be significant savings by purchasing a PSU that has a higher efficiency rating with lowered electricity costs.
The role of Power Factor Correction ( PFC)

QUOTE(Anthus)
I saw this power supply and it looks ok, but it is not bronze certified, and one of the reviewers said it fried his motherboard upon start-up

Looks alright, but its a off looking brand. and most likely made with some not that fantastic parts. that can lead to problems.
for about 10 more dollars you can get a Bronze certified. and high quality PSU.

http://www.newegg.co...1-037-_-Product

Oh yeah, I also changed the image link to it works now.

And nice case icon_smile.gif I'm sure it'll be just fine. I really wish my case looked that good :3.

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

That was informative icon_smile.gif I might go ahead at get that OCZ one you posted, since it will only be 60 bucks after the rebate, and it seems pretty solid.

I also just realized, that picture I posted was not even the finished case. I added an NES controller to the front, and got the A button to function as the power button. pic 1 | pic 2

But thanks, it is the only custom mod type thing I have ever done, and I'm pleased with how it turned out. It is a standard ATX, btw.

I also found this article quite helpfull in determinning what you would need as far as PSU's go.
http://www.tomshardw...-power-required

#6 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(Anthus @ Oct 28 2012, 03:25 PM) View Post

That was informative icon_smile.gif I might go ahead at get that OCZ one you posted, since it will only be 60 bucks after the rebate, and it seems pretty solid.

Alrighty then Its your choice icon_smile.gif, I hope it'll work out good.

I also found this article quite helpfull in determinning what you would need as far as PSU's go.
http://www.tomshardw...-power-required

Well that's pretty useful thanks for the link icon_smile.gif

I also just realized, that picture I posted was not even the finished case. I added an NES controller to the front, and got the A button to function as the power button. pic 1 | pic 2

And that looking pretty nice!I have to say it looks pretty sexy as it is right now icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(Anthus)
and who knows, I might even make a partition and try Window 8.

Oh and If you are going to ever try windows 8. I would do it before Jan 31st 2013 that's when the price will jump up.
But I will say it use's Less ram then Windows 7. That's one thing I've noticed so far. and one other thing you can't beat the online price being 39.99.
Or the in store price of 69.99. Cheapest Windows ever icon_awesome.gif

#7 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Oct 28 2012, 05:49 PM) View Post

Oh and If you are going to ever try windows 8. I would do it before Jan 31st 2013 that's when the price will jump up.
But I will say it use's Less ram then Windows 7. That's one thing I've noticed so far. and one other thing you can't beat the online price being 39.99.
Or the in store price of 69.99. Cheapest Windows ever icon_awesome.gif

That's good to know. It sounds like I'll have some time to get it then. I don't know if I'll like it, but I'll try it.

And yes, I'm proud of my case. I wanted to get stenciled letters and paint "NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER!" but I didn't get that far.

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

I now have the motherboard and processor. Buying these fancy, shiny, and new things will surely increase my quality of life icon_deformed.gif

I'm waiting on the case, power supply, and RAM as of now. I will get the video card next. This motherboard doesn't have on board video so I can't use it till I get the video card unfortunately. This was a small oversight on my part since I did actually want on board video in case something goes wrong with the video card so I wouldn't be totally boned. The on board audio options for the mobo are pretty decent though. I'm not a huge audiophile so I'm okay with it.

I went ahead and bought a case cause I didn't want any issues with my old one. I would hate to have this overheat due to poor ventilation, plus this one was pretty cheap, and good good reviews. I kind of wanted a see-through side panel, but that's not a must lol.

Here's the build:

Case:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147153

Power Supply:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139028

CPU:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103960

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128514

RAM:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231428

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.co.....ire 100323-2l

And for now I'm using an old DVD drive from another case we had lying around here. I haven't decided on a hard drive yet, or bought the video card cause I'm not entirely sure about it. Mainly cause I don't know if a PCI Express 2.1 card will work on the motherboard PCI Express 2.0 x16 port. I'm guessing not?

But I'm pretty happy with this build. Next time I ever build a computer, I'll try an Intel build. An AMD build is cheaper though.

#9 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

The video card will be fine. Different versions of PCIe do work together.

#10 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Looks good Anthus icon_smile.gif, And what Saffith said is true. You video card will be fine. It'll be fun putting this all together... I'm jealous I haven't built a brand new computer in awhile... Well next year I'm going to be building me a brand new computer to replace my old one.

This time it'll be a Intel build Most likely with a quad core... Though I'm not to sure on what I really want... So It'll probably be another AMD build.
I guess I'm a AMD man icon_razz.gif

And PS: That case you have picked out looks freaking Sexy :3. (I want it >:| )

#11 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE(Saffith @ Nov 14 2012, 10:27 AM) View Post
Yup, PCI-E 3.0 devices work in a PCI-E 1.0A slot and 1.0A devices will work in a PCI-E 3.0 slot as an example. It was one of the main things they've been maintaining with each new revision of PCI-E (Backwards compatibility and forwards compatibility).

Edited by franpa, 14 November 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(Saffith @ Nov 13 2012, 07:27 PM) View Post

QUOTE(franpa @ Nov 14 2012, 12:29 AM) View Post

Yup, PCI-E 3.0 devices work in a PCI-E 1.0A slot and 1.0A devices will work in a PCI-E 3.0 slot as an example. It was one of the main things they've been maintaining with each new revision of PCI-E (Backwards compatibility and forwards compatibility).

Thanks icon_smile.gif I looked it up myself too, and I'm glad it'll work together since I had my eye on that card for its price.

QUOTE(Ventus @ Nov 13 2012, 08:38 PM) View Post

Looks good Anthus icon_smile.gif, And what Saffith said is true. You video card will be fine. It'll be fun putting this all together... I'm jealous I haven't built a brand new computer in awhile... Well next year I'm going to be building me a brand new computer to replace my old one.

This time it'll be a Intel build Most likely with a quad core... Though I'm not to sure on what I really want... So It'll probably be another AMD build.
I guess I'm a AMD man icon_razz.gif

And PS: That case you have picked out looks freaking Sexy :3. (I want it >:| )

I finally have all the parts I ordered. They are sitting nicely on my table. I just need the video card and a hard drive to get it going. The FX-8150 is comparable to the i5, but the i5 does surpass it in some areas from what I've read, but for the price it's hardly a bad processor. And yes, I'm looking forward very much to putting this thing together. I need to send in my rebates stuff as well since the mobo and PSU had one, and I can get 30 bucks back from both items.

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

So I built it icon_smile.gif I had a friend come over and help me out a little bit, but we got it up and running with no issues on the hardware side. It's pretty quiet and very fast, but I guess that is to be expected cause the dust and stuff hasn't had time to clog the fans and what not.

I have however, run into an issue. So, I used my disc for Windows 7, and installed it on the machine, thinking I could use my product key, and activate it (which would ultimately de-activate it on my laptop), but as it turns out, it is 'expired' or some shit. I looked around for product keys online, but to no avail (and I am not requesting them, don't worry mods). So, I have Windows 64 bit build 7600 but it is not genuine, but it is in fact, annoying.

It's pretty annoying cause I thought I'd be able to seamlessly transition to this new machine but I guess not. So, now, I am thinking about just getting Windows 8 since it is only like 30 bucks right now. Sigh. It's always something.

However, at the very least, I'm gonna see if I can download Dolphin on my external, and try it out on the new machine.

#14 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

Have you had a chance to try out Dolphin like you were talking about on facebook? Nevermind, I saw something about it in your recent post that I missed. Seems like you got yourself a pretty nice Radeon graphics card. icon_wink.gif

Also, I think you should check to see about any overclocking for your AMD FX-8150 8-core. I think it can handle it without too much trouble. The only thing you have to look at is power consumption and heat. I don't know, usually CPU's (or the mobo) have a safety measure to shut off before they reach critical temperatures.

Oh, and I'll admit that when I saw your setup, I went full-on nerd for about 5 minutes. Fantastic setup! icon_smile.gif That case looks especially smexy. icon_wink.gif

Edited by Sepulcher, 29 November 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#15 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(Anthus @ Nov 30 2012, 04:39 AM) View Post
So I built it icon_smile.gif I had a friend come over and help me out a little bit, but we got it up and running with no issues on the hardware side. It's pretty quiet and very fast, but I guess that is to be expected cause the dust and stuff hasn't had time to clog the fans and what not.

I have however, run into an issue. So, I used my disc for Windows 7, and installed it on the machine, thinking I could use my product key, and activate it (which would ultimately de-activate it on my laptop), but as it turns out, it is 'expired' or some shit. I looked around for product keys online, but to no avail (and I am not requesting them, don't worry mods). So, I have Windows 64 bit build 7600 but it is not genuine, but it is in fact, annoying.

It's pretty annoying cause I thought I'd be able to seamlessly transition to this new machine but I guess not. So, now, I am thinking about just getting Windows 8 since it is only like 30 bucks right now. Sigh. It's always something.

However, at the very least, I'm gonna see if I can download Dolphin on my external, and try it out on the new machine.

Well you can run Windows 7 without a product key for at least 120 days. (Google: Re-arm Windows 7). You can also try activating via phone (I've done it numerous times with my Windows XP Home OEM) and just tell them that you had a virus or something and had to reinstall. (You may have to "fail" the 'enter the authentication key' step a few times before it lets you speak to a real person)

Edited by franpa, 29 November 2012 - 03:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users