Photo

Windows 8: Metro UI

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Microsoft's New User interface

Do you like it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Think Microsoft is making a mistake?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(Bagel @ Sep 25 2012, 07:01 PM) View Post

intuitive screen

Have lots of things installed? Enjoy our intuitive[citation needed] new interface!

(this is a screencap from a Windows 8 virtual machine running on a Mac; it can see all the Mac apps too)

icon_neutral.gif That's really intuitive... >__>. I'm not kidding that's really organized...

QUOTE(sigtau @ Sep 25 2012, 08:56 PM) View Post

Not a fan of it. Seems like it would be incredibly intuitive on a phone or tablet, but since I don't use a phone or tablet for productivity, I won't be using Windows 8 for productivity.

So basically, I'm agreeing with Russ here. icon_awesome.gif

Exactly. It being on a desktop is stupid and pointless. Right now as it stands Windows 8 will suck...
And its a shame that it'll will. I mean after using it for awhile it is faster then windows 7. But the interface is giving me depression...

QUOTE(Dawnlight)
I hope you guys know that MS dropped the name "Metro" due to an infringement.

When did they do that?, I've never heard the name metro was dropped.
Well, at least it gives them the chance to rename it the touchy screen thing icon_razz.gif

#17 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Sep 26 2012, 10:03 PM) View Post

When did they do that?, I've never heard the name metro was dropped.
Well, at least it gives them the chance to rename it the touchy screen thing icon_razz.gif

http://techland.time...trademark-woes/

#18 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(sigtau @ Sep 27 2012, 12:44 AM) View Post

Well I guess that makes sense. But I guess I need to stop calling it metro <.<... shoot what can I call it now?.
Windows 8 UI... no that sucks... I'll keep calling it touchy screen interface icon_sweat.gif .

#19 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Well I guess that makes sense. But I guess I need to stop calling it metro <.<... shoot what can I call it now?.
Windows 8 UI... no that sucks... I'll keep calling it touchy screen interface icon_sweat.gif .

Microsoft feels your pain. They're stuck calling it the Windows 8 interface or something dumb like that until they make up a catchy new name.

#20 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

In addition, if you happen to want to use the Metro-styled apps, well. You can't install new ones from anywhere other than the Windows Store: link

You can still install desktop ("legacy") programs from other sources.

#21 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

I hope ReactOS becomes the next Windows 7, because the don't-call-it-Metro interface is just a disaster.

EDIT: In other news, it looks like the only way you're going to get Metro apps is through the Microsoft store--as in, it will now be impossible to download Metro-compatible apps off of the internet like one would with programs such as ZC.

Microsoft has also dubbed non-Metro apps as being "legacy," implying that at some point, non-Metro apps will be deprecated. So, basically, Windows 8 as a whole is just a giant bag of shit.

Source: http://answers.micro...63-d6f9b3a5b35f

#22 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

That's, uh. That's what I linked to in my post, up there. icon_razz.gif

Yeah. Basically Microsoft wants to out-Apple Apple and lock everything down in future Windows versions. When this becomes comprehensible to the general non-computer-savvy public, it will probably spell the end of Windows.

#23 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

IPB Image

My bad for not catching that one...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users