Photo

Windows 8: Metro UI

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Microsoft's New User interface

Do you like it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Think Microsoft is making a mistake?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

Well I've been messing around Windows 8 Consumer preview for awhile now... and I can't wrap my head around the Metro interface at all.
Its just so dysfunctional <__<. I mean really It must've seemed like a good idea. but When it comes down too it, Windows 8's Metro sucks.

I don't see anyone even using this on a desktop. Unless you have one of them all in one systems that has a touch screen or something.

The only way I could do anything to windows 8 so far was to scrap the Metro interface completely, with the Windows 7 explorer for 8.
which works a lot better then classic shell. or that god forbidding Start8 by StarDock.

So whats everyone's thoughts on Windows 8, and its new Interface Metro?

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

My thoughts? Nearly everything about Windows 8 is terrible, but Metro is the shining example of everything they did wrong. I could go into a lot of detail about the schizophrenic nature of basically having two OSes running at once (Desktop and Metro) with no link between the two. I could talk about the troubles of trying to multitask with it. I could rant about the ridiculously unintuitive right clicking and stuff with it. But basically, I'll just say that trying to force it onto anything but a tablet was a horrible idea.

I'm sticking with Windows 7 until support for it ends. Then I'm switching to Linux. I refuse to use Windows 8.

#3 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

@Russ: My thoughts are almost the same about Windows 8, But I'll be staying with Windows 7 and XP till I'm forced to use Windows 8... But hey at least I can kill the Metro interface and make it run like windows 7 somewhat.

Still though... I'm scared of Windows 8... really I am, I just wonder if its going to be hated as much as Windows ME and Vista icon_neutral.gif

#4 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

I think it's a terrible thing. I am gonna stick with 7, not sure until when though. icon_razz.gif I am thinking it's gonna be highly disliked by many.

#5 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

I'll just ignore it. If you noticed, Microsoft has a pattern with Windows OS releases: Shit (95), Good (98), Shit (2000/ME), Good (XP), Shit (Vista), Good (7). So naturally 8 is the SHIT release, while 9 should be the Good release x3.

#6 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Metro is terrible and you should all jump to Linux or stay with 7.

[/discussion]

#7 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Sep 25 2012, 04:58 PM) View Post

I'll just ignore it. If you noticed, Microsoft has a pattern with Windows OS releases: Shit (95), Good (98), Shit (2000/ME), Good (XP), Shit (Vista), Good (7). So naturally 8 is the SHIT release, while 9 should be the Good release x3.

It seems you are right, It does seem that way doesn't?, lol. That's actually quite funny.
Even though I did like Windows Vista it ran pretty good except that it had bad Ram management.

QUOTE(Vinyl Scratch @ Sep 25 2012, 05:06 PM) View Post

Metro is terrible and you should all jump to Linux or stay with 7.

[/discussion]

I might make the jump to Linux at some point... But for the time being I'll wait till I can't stand Windows no more.

#8 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

IPB Image

Have lots of things installed? Enjoy our intuitive[citation needed] new interface!

(this is a screencap from a Windows 8 virtual machine running on a Mac; it can see all the Mac apps too)

#9 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

Used the developer preview last year in shop. It sucked.

</thread>

#10 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

Not a fan of it. Seems like it would be incredibly intuitive on a phone or tablet, but since I don't use a phone or tablet for productivity, I won't be using Windows 8 for productivity.

So basically, I'm agreeing with Russ here. icon_awesome.gif

#11 Dethl

Dethl

@

• Members

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

I have the consumer preview on my new desktop (reduced the price, i have extra windows 7 keys kicking around if i need them). Once I killed off the all the user access control settings, I don't really mind it. I don't install much, and what I do install I just make desktop shortcuts for and throw them in a folder. My most used stuff is pinned to my taskbar. If I need something fast I can just use their search thing, which I don't mind that much.

The whole interface is really pointless to me, but I can live with it for now. What I really enjoy are my fast boot times. I think I can get tp the desktop from a cold start in about 15 seconds or so, but I'd have to time it.

#12 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

I use it at work and I've gotten used to it, even without a touch screen.

My main issue is that I'm using the Beta from their website, and of course it's still buggy. I hope to see general fixes for these silly errors, such as the Mail app not syncing without logging out of Windows.

#13 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

I would try it but Microsoft in there infinite wisdom removed support for Dynamic Hard Disks from the Installer so you can't install it to such hard Disks, all my HDD's are converted to that format already and you can't convert back without the loss of all data! (Unless your hard disks contain a single partition, then you can undo the process safely)

#14 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hell No. Bagel pretty much explained the main reason why I hate it so much. If you install a program, ALL of the contents that appear in that program's folder in the Program files folder will show up on Metro. I hope there's a setting to choose what to put on Metro; otherwise, this is nothing but a bloated Program files menu.

I hope you guys know that MS dropped the name "Metro" due to an infringement.

#15 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Sep 26 2012, 03:01 PM) View Post

I hope you guys know that MS dropped the name "Metro" due to an infringement.

No, I didn't. However I do know that 8 sucks. What's the point of replacing the start menu with a stupid touch screen OS-esque menu? The start menu was much more straight forward. In 7 and XP, you could turn your PC off in about 2 clicks (1 in 7). Just press the windows key, and then click sleep or shutdown. In 8 you have to go through a bunch of freaking menus just to choose whether or not you put your computer to sleep, shut it down, or etc.... And to talk about things besides the removal of the start menu, task manager seems to be more simplified and "user friendly". I don't want to have a bunch of menus to go through, I want to see my f**king running applications and processes. Removing malware will be a problem as from what I have heard, do to certain problems with the OS, a virus would be able to make it unbootable, like what a virus could do to an Win95 machine. With that being said... removing a virus WON'T be a problem, as the only solution would be reinstalling windows. My god windows 8 is going to fail without a doubt. I think it has already been established that 7 is the new XP, and we will be using it for the next 10 years.

Edited by King Harkinian, 26 September 2012 - 08:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users