Photo

What type of internet do you have?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Internet

What type?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Aug 10 2012, 06:13 AM) View Post

Wow, someone still on dial-up?... Ventus, how much does that cost these days?

Obviously, I am on broadband. We get it through Comcast, along with our cable TV, and we run it through our wireless router. Since I sit right next to the router, I plug into it directly, to save myself a step.

I know there are different types of broadband, but people don't typically differentiate between them these days. icon_shrug.gif I guess that some companies are just better than others, and there won't be any huge jumps in speed until a new technology is invented.

Incidentally, I wonder how many people use wireless connections these days. Perhaps a separate poll could be made to ask various questions about that.

Yeah as it seems I think I might be the only dial-up user here XD, But in reality My dial-up cost about $13-14 a month.
Which that's the cheapest company I've ever found yet, I've been tempted to try Net-Zero. but they have no access numbers for my area.
So I guess I'll be sticking with my small unknown company.

QUOTE(Artistic @ Aug 10 2012, 09:41 AM) View Post

Hi! icon_smile.gif

I have satellite because I'm a 'dirt road girl'. That is all that is available where I'm at. It is a little better then dail-up but not as fast as cable (broadband). Although they have just come out with a little faster service. But it is a little expensive.

I've been wanting to get satellite internet sooo baaad, But its pretty expensive ain't it? I mean that's what I've heard.

#17 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Aug 10 2012, 09:51 AM) View Post

Yeah as it seems I think I might be the only dial-up user here XD, But in reality My dial-up cost about $13-14 a month.
Which that's the cheapest company I've ever found yet, I've been tempted to try Net-Zero. but they have no access numbers for my area.
I've been wanting to get satellite internet sooo baaad, But its pretty expensive ain't it? I mean that's what I've heard.

We pay $80 a month and that is for 17 gig's for download and 5 gig's for upload the speed is 1.5 megs per second if we are lucky. The new service they offer is 6 or 7 megs per second (something like that) which is $140 a month. I have wildblue.net. The satellite we get signals from comes from Texas, a few hundred miles from me.

#18 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(Artistic @ Aug 10 2012, 11:22 AM) View Post

We pay $80 a month and that is for 17 gig's for download and 5 gig's for upload the speed is 1.5 megs per second if we are lucky. The new service they offer is 6 or 7 megs per second (something like that) which is $140 a month. I have wildblue.net. The satellite we get signals from comes from Texas, a few hundred miles from me.

Shoot $80 Is a lot O_O, And thats not bad in downloads 17 gigs would be great for me...Uh never Every Time I bum my friends high I download about 5 gigs in a day so that might not be the best for me xD.
I've heard about Wildblue once I just don't remember, but heck it must be better then dial-up. anything is better then dial-up icon_razz.gif

#19 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

I generally browse the Internet on my IPhone but I connect my iPad and laptops with a 4G mobile hotspot. I'm not sure how much a pay though it's added onto my Verizon phone bill. We have wireless broadband (uses a box mounted on the roof to connect with a radio tower) but its unstable which is why I use a Verizon hotspot for myself.

Plus 4G > Anything I've ever experienced. A good option for people like me who live out in the woods in cattle country.

Edited by Daniel, 10 August 2012 - 07:37 PM.

#20 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

ADSL2
Theoretical maximum = 24Mbits/s (I believe)
Actual maximum for my location = 4-5Mbit/s

If only we lived closer to the phone exchange :/

Edited by franpa, 10 August 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#21 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

I'm Comcastic, so Broadband. They actually accidentally gave me a 25/5 connection when I moved, instead of the 15/3 I was paying for. Not complaining, mind you.

#22 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Aug 10 2012, 07:51 AM) View Post

So, $13-14, EH?... Looks like dial-up has gone up in price since my family was using....but that's before inflation. The rate may have effectively gone down when you also account for inflation.

Man, I have SO many extra phone cables I don't need, that kept coming with other computer hardware. icon_blah.gif If I knew someone like you locally who had dialup, I could offer them my extras, but it still be more than anyone would need. I should put that on my list of things to donate when I go to the electronics recycling center.

#23 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

I have Verizon DSL. I would never consider this high speed... All 3G phones are faster... Not to mention I have a 4G phone. Verizon has the market under its thumb, sadly. They currently have the most subscribers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users