Photo

Favorite Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite OS?

Operating System

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Mobile OS

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE(Vinyl Scratch @ Jun 29 2012, 01:14 PM) View Post
You knew exactly what I meant. Yeah, they're all different types of Linux, but they are all from completely different developers. Same kernel, completely different operating systems.

#17 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(DavidReinold @ Jun 29 2012, 01:46 PM) View Post

You knew exactly what I meant. Yeah, they're all different types of Linux, but they are all from completely different developers. Same kernel, completely different operating systems.

And you don't know what I was trying to say. There are simply far too many Linux distributions for the OP to have included.

#18 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(sigtau @ Jun 29 2012, 09:41 AM) View Post
I also have my old laptop armed up with Linux Mint. As far as mobile devices go, I used to be Android-only, but in light of the Android's apparent suffering of vendor choke--that is, Motorola, Verizon, and the like all enjoy limiting perfectly good phones for the sake of their own money--I'll soon be switching to iOS.
Just kind of wondering what you are meaning by this? How are they limiting phone with the Android OS? I've only been on at&t, so perhaps they don't have what you are speaking of. Doesn't seem to have a lot of at&t bloatware apps either. icon_shrug.gif Just curious.

#19 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Vinyl Scratch @ Jun 29 2012, 03:33 PM) View Post
And you don't know what I was trying to say. There are simply far too many Linux distributions for the OP to have included.
Well, text to go with that link might have helped - I assumed you were saying something different since Feferawft said the exact same thing you were apparently trying to tell me. It only takes one person to get the point across. I am well aware of how many distros there are - my initial thought process was that one might list a few of the more popular ones (Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, SUSE, Gentoo) and list everything else under "other Linux". Of course I wouldn't expect EVERY distro to be listed. I can't imagine Fedora or CentOS getting a SINGLE vote, so that would be kind of pointless.

That said, Linux in general only got one vote, and that one vote was me, so the point is moot I suppose.

Edited by DavidReinold, 29 June 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#20 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Pinkie @ Jun 29 2012, 04:39 PM) View Post

Just kind of wondering what you are meaning by this? How are they limiting phone with the Android OS? I've only been on at&t, so perhaps they don't have what you are speaking of. Doesn't seem to have a lot of at&t bloatware apps either. icon_shrug.gif Just curious.

Verizon DRMs you to all hell with their phones. You can't root (jailbreak) them without voiding your warranty or rendering your phone useless anymore. They force vendor bloatware onto your phone, and they're also now imposing a monthly data cap instead of offering unlimited data plans.

#21 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

PC: I'm a Windows guy. I've been on board since 3.1, and although I've learned to follow the "every other" rule that's been in place since 98... overall I like their products (I will be skipping icon_cool.gif. I don't do anything more hardcore than gaming with my PC though, and some video and sound editing.

Phone: I prefer Andriod by far. I use Sprint, so the bloatware isn't too bad... nothing I can't handle. I didn't like how restrictive my iPhone felt when I had it, so that's kind of what led me to Android. Nothing against Windows Phones, also... but I'm distrustful of the Metro UI with all the crap Windows is doing with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users