What Antivirus do you use?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hey guys, just wondering what anti-virus you use. I didn't make a poll because I figured there are too many out there to list. But anyways, I use Avira Premium Security Suite as of last night. Before that I was using Avast! Home Edition. Avira did end up picking some virus' up that Avast didn't catch. Sounds good to me! So what about you?

#2 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:35 PM

I mainly use the paid version of AVG 8.5 for virus scanning, although I also use the free versions of SuperAntiSpyware, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to catch certain things that AVG cannot detect.
Though I find it strange that AVG couldn't detect those particular threats, yet it's a paid program. icon_blink.gif

#3 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Avast! Home Edition, the occasional use of Spybot Search And Destroy, and AdAware, along with Windows Defender, all of which is on top of Windows 7.

I've only had one problem with viruses on Win7, and I managed to completely eradicate it with this little ensemble.

#4 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

Norton Internet Securty 2009 never had a porblam with Norton no virues nothing unlike my last Aiti virus software i used

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

Just AVG Free 8.5. Works wonders. Especially after our last experience was with McAfee... icon_sweat.gif

#6 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

I use Avast! Home Edition. Works well and I've never found it invasive at all, compared to other anti virus software I've used.

#7 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Sep 17 2009, 05:35 PM) View Post

Just AVG Free 8.5. Works wonders. Especially after our last experience was with McAfee... icon_sweat.gif

*shudders*

I've had bad run-ins with that program. Once you put it on your hard drive, you literally have to reinstall Windows to ensure it's completely gone if you want to use other security software.

#8 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:56 PM

I guess I've never had much luck with AVG, and truthfully haven't heard much as far as positive comments on AVG. I used to swear by Norton, but I changed my mind quickly after trying a different antivirus program, and will never go back. It's just my preference though, not forcing others to use what I use.

#9 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

I was actually referring to McAfee, though AVG is a bit of a resource hog. Avira's little triple-beep when it picks up an infection is a bit annoying.

#10 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

That's what I like about it though, it makes sure that I know there is an issue. Avast would do the same, except even more annoying, with it's "CAUTION: A Virus has been detected" that it would blurt out so the world would hear.

#11 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

AVG free version and also Windows Vista "anti virus".

#12 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

Trend Micro Internet Security. One of the best IMO.

#13 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

Firefox with both NoScript + AdBlock Plus, as well as common sense, are my approach to the anti-virus problem.

1) Do not use Internet Explorer unless you must. This is not an opinion; Internet Explorer is inherently vulnerable to all types of threats due to its integration with Windows.

2) Use a browser extension such as NoScript for Firefox to block Web site scripting.

3) Browse responsibly: the most popular searches on the internet are for things like wallpapers, screen savers, custom icons, and mouse cursors, for example, so be wary when searching for free software that is not what it claims to be. Do research via Google before you download something of which you are unsure.

4) Keep Windows updated!

I am not saying that anti-virus software is not useful; it's just not necessary to keep it running all of the time if you use the Internet responsibly. You could manually start the program yourself if you want to do a scan, after all.

If you still think you have an infection, try AVG or Avast! - they will pick up the most prevalent worms and viruses, and believe it or not, Windows Defender will pick up most pieces of spy/adware. It is still your option to use antivirus or antimalware products but common sense is the best defense.

I use no antivirus software on my Vista box and I still have yet to get an infection of any kind.

Edited by Bengal, 17 September 2009 - 06:36 PM.

#14 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:26 PM

Well Bengal, that would be a little easier for me, if everyone that used the computers would be more aware of threats, and more computer savvy. It's just not able to be done for me, but I am quite glad that plan works out for you. icon_smile.gif

#15 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE(Angeal @ Sep 17 2009, 11:26 PM) View Post

Well Bengal, that would be a little easier for me, if everyone that used the computers would be more aware of threats, and more computer savvy.

Bingo. Other, less knowledgeable people use the computer I have to use. My dad, being one of the most stupid computer users on the planet and resistant to any form of logic(My way--no highway option kinda guy) has lead me to be the sole caretaker of this computer. My sister doesn't do anything that gets our computer infected, so I don't have to worry about that, though I wish she'd be a little more responsible too, run the spyware checkers every once in a while.

Ironically, me and my sister are the ones whom are responsible for every problem the computer has. I hate that with a passion.

I use Avast! Personal, Spybot, and Ad Aware SE for this computer. Whichever computer I have next is going to have Linux. No matter what. No problems there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users