Photo

What leads to the 360's Red Ring of Death?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:49 PM

This is just out of curiosity becasue 3 weeks ago, I got an Xbox 360 Premium and was wondering what could cause the infamous Red Ring of Death. I'm hearing mixed responses saying that it can occur at anytime, and also there's a firmware update that causes the Red Ring of Death.

So what leads to the 360's Red Ring of Death?

#2 Xgadd

Xgadd

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

A timer implemented by Microsoft to make you go out and purchase another one.

Just kidding, it's probably caused by faulty hardware.

#3 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:03 PM

im not dure if its correct but when all the lights flash red, Its to hot. Well when it happened to me, the lights and everything went out.... Then the red lights flashed. Does that help?

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

No firmware, my 360 red ring'd and I never even accessed XBox Live. It's definitely faulty hardware, and if it wants to happen, it'll happen. However, you might be okay because the newer XBoxs' might have the problem fixed. Not sure on that though.

#5 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Aug 1 2008, 07:24 PM) View Post

No firmware, my 360 red ring'd and I never even accessed XBox Live. It's definitely faulty hardware, and if it wants to happen, it'll happen. However, you might be okay because the newer XBoxs' might have the problem fixed. Not sure on that though.

Yeah that's what I'm hearing. I'm hearing that the New Premium w/HDMI has those chips that prevent the RROD.

Edited by TriMaster001, 01 August 2008 - 07:48 PM.

#6 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

It's for reasons like this that you avoid the newer consoles until they've been released for a while--then they have plenty of updates and are probably better than their launch-date models. Same thing with Windows: Sucks ass at the first release of each major version, and slowly gets better with each service pack.

#7 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(TheMasterSwordsman @ Aug 1 2008, 07:56 PM) View Post

It's for reasons like this that you avoid the newer consoles until they've been released for a while--then they have plenty of updates and are probably better than their launch-date models. Same thing with Windows: Sucks ass at the first release of each major version, and slowly gets better with each service pack.

Gets more stable but slower. icon_frown.gif

Well, a big problem in the original 360s was that you couldn't turn the systems while they were on. If you shifted from horizontal to vertical or vice-versa, you could screw up the disc and the system. But, really, the Red Ring of Death can be caused by numerous things. However, the most common problems have been fixed with the system.

#8 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:22 AM

It's bugs such as these that I stick with my Wii and XP computer instead of all these fandangled systems, with their Rings of Death and such icon_lol.gif
Actually, I'm not that technologically inclined, so all I can do is rant and rave.
This happened to a friend of mine once, and he was really pissed when it did...
That's the last time he used game-enhancing software, though. He learned his lesson all right.

#9 AntonJ3000

AntonJ3000

Junior

• Members

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:31 AM

Theres so much that can lead to a RRoD...
When I got my 360 I played Portal, Then I wanted to change to TF2 (yeah TF2 kicks ass)... And I got some greenscreen, then my 360 kept crashing, then I got RRoD and it didn't start anymore.

#10 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:18 PM

I've heard that it's the GPU that overheats, or some system component. I had a 360 glitch on me when I was playing Perfect Dark Zero ... It was a strange glitch. Also, I've heard that firmly hitting the 360 on the bottom of the unit might restore the functionality. No I'm not kidding. Hold on.

http://www.1pstart.c...g-of-death-fix/

Make of it what you want. icon_razz.gif Good luck.

#11 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

I have no clue what causes this(I don't have a 360), but I had a question, and I suppose this is as good a place as any.

If you do get the Red Ring of Death, will Microsoft replace your XBox360 for you free of charge? Would it be a long and painstaking process?

#12 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

You can send it in for repairs, but you gotta pay shipping and you gotta wait for them to ship out the box to put it in to ship it back to them...basically it's an almost free, long painstaking process.

Hasn't happened to me though, cause I'm awesome.

#13 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:08 PM

I like the Wii more for these reasons, but the XBox is still pretty nice. I just wish Mircrosoft would kill the idea of making products depend on each other a bit too much in order to achieve "integration."

#14 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

Uhh, not exactly hitting the point, are we?

From what I've been told, there is a plastic cover in the older X360s that conducts poorly, causing the system to think that there's a hardware error from overheating. It's been replaced with a metal cover, which now conducts the heat away from there, from what I can remember.

#15 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:20 PM

Can you site your source, Linkus? I don't think I've ever heard of it put that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users