Notebook Recocommendation Needed

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(TheMasterSwordsman @ Feb 4 2008, 07:18 PM) View Post

And has no one touched Gateway? They look pretty stable, but they're slowly dying as a company. But yeah, STAY AWAY FROM THE SONY VAIO.

Why do you say that?

#17 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE(Questwizard88 @ Feb 4 2008, 11:49 PM) View Post
The current public version of Skulltag has serious server issues in Vista.

The version of Game Maker I use (5.0) is 100% incompatible, and will not even start, nor will games created with it.

That leaves games like Jumper Two, Jumper Redux, etc. out, and I play those quite frequently.

The GIMP has font problems in Vista. I've read it just crashes out on most systems as its looking for fonts.

And the list could go on and on...

I know for a fact that GIMP has no problems in Vista, being I used it daily before I got Photoshop CS3 last month. GIMPshop works equally well. They both load alot faster too.
The "font problem" can happen in any version of Windows if you mess around with GIMP's files. It happened to me on my XP-based PC and I had to reinstall it.

GM5 100% incompatible? LOL!
Here's a screenshot of GameMaker 5.0 running perfectly in Vista. Nothing special, I just extracted the .rar and ran it like anybody using XP would do:
IPB Image
icon_wink.gif

...and here's me playing Jumper 2:
IPB Image
I would download the other stuff you mentioned too, but I don't feel like it. If you do need proof of anything else just let me know.

If you can go on and on with a list of incompatible stuff, I'm certain that I can go on and on contradicting you. The only programs that I've had problems with are Win9x games and programs that are meant to change something 9x/XP-specific (such as Styler). Trust me. I try alot of software. icon_razz.gif

I've read

And that's the problem. Don't trust anything you read about Vista unless you know it has facts to back it up, because chances are the people complaining haven't even used it.

QUOTE(Puzidman @ Feb 1 2008, 08:42 PM) View Post
Maybe the Mac Book Air? It's about the same price, but I don't know how much you like Macs. It has an intel chip, so it can run PC and windows I think.

A MacBook Air would actually be a terrible idea. It's only good as a secondary computer at this point in time. If he went for a Mac, the regular MacBook would be the best thing in his price range.

Edited by Mr. Pimpy, 05 February 2008 - 03:32 AM.

#18 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:16 AM

I would not recommend getting Vista on a laptop, especially if you not going for a very high end laptop with at least 2GB of RAM and a dual-core 2.0 GHz processor. That's simply because Vista is a resource hog and laptops aren't quite as powerful as desktops.

That aside, I have a Dell Inspiron 1720, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. icon_smile.gif It comes with Vista, but it can work with XP, though you'll have to spend a day searching for drivers. My laptop has a dual-core 2.0 GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, a 256mb video card, and 160GB of hard drive space, and it was around $1300, but that was during Christmas. You would have to wait until another good sale.

#19 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Feb 5 2008, 08:16 AM) View Post
I would not recommend getting Vista on a laptop, especially if you not going for a very high end laptop with at least 2GB of RAM and a dual-core 2.0 GHz processor. That's simply because Vista is a resource hog and laptops aren't quite as powerful as desktops.

I'm fairly 100% sure that Vista will run perfectly on any $1500 notebook. My Toshiba Sattellite A215 only cost $850 and Home Premium runs flawlessly on it. icon_wink.gif

#20 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hey, Vista is meant for the poweruser that doesn't plan on using any older software or any 2D non-Microsoft authenticated games (such as those made with Game Maker). I'd rather just not bother with Game Maker. It's a waste of time; I'd prefer learning a real game building language or just getting addicted to ZC again. icon_shrug.gif

#21 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE(TheMasterSwordsman @ Feb 5 2008, 06:34 PM) View Post
Hey, Vista is meant for the poweruser that doesn't plan on using any older software or any 2D non-Microsoft authenticated games (such as those made with Game Maker). I'd rather just not bother with Game Maker. It's a waste of time; I'd prefer learning a real game building language or just getting addicted to ZC again. icon_shrug.gif

As I showed before, Game Maker and the game he mentioned worked. P:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users