Notebook Recocommendation Needed

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:38 PM

I'm looking to purchase a notebook computer to use both for school and at home now that I havethe money to get one.l I've got $1700 to spend on it, and that's it. I need something that preferably has XP on it already, or something that XP can easily be installed on in place of Vista, without any lack of driver problems. It's going to need quite a bit of power for the things I'll be doing with it (which is pretty much everything from basic word processing to relatively high-end gaming). I've looked at a couple systems already, one from Dell, and one from Sony, and both are almost similar in performance (Sony has a slightly lower-end video card, though not by very much (8400GT vs. 8600GT). If I go with Dell's (The Inspiron 1520), I know I might have some issues down the road later with service once the need arises. And if I go with Sony's (Vaio FZ4000), I'll be stuck on Vista, which would totally stink. I've looked at Acer and Toshiba also, and the lack of customizability is something I don't like there.

Anyone have any good recoommendations for a really good notebook under $1700?

#2 Lune

Lune

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

Maybe the Mac Book Air? It's about the same price, but I don't know how much you like Macs. It has an intel chip, so it can run PC and windows I think.

Edited by Puzidman, 01 February 2008 - 06:43 PM.

#3 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

Actually the only real time I've spent with a mac was back in like 4th grade. I have a friend who's in some of the classes I'm in right now who has an Apple laptop, and has nothing but problems with it now that its over a year or two old.

Edited by Questwizard88, 01 February 2008 - 10:48 PM.

#4 Lune

Lune

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:30 AM

Macs have a bad reputation, but the new ones are actually pretty reliable.

By the way, 300 posts!

Edited by Puzidman, 02 February 2008 - 01:31 AM.

#5 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:21 AM

How could he be having problems unless he himself has been messing with things he shouldn't have? Probably just needs to run a permissions repair or something. I've had my MacBook Pro for 2 years and I love it. Never given me any problems whatsoever, even when booted to Windows. o_O

Anyway, I'd actually recommend against the MacBook and MacBook air since they have integrated graphics. If you do want to try a Mac, you're not going to get a MacBook Pro new (or even a refurb right now) for any less than $2000 (them things pack a punch. Mine STILL does.)

If you've got to get a Windows-based PC, I would have to suggest a Toshiba Satellite. I know a couple people who have them and as far as Windows laptops go they're pretty solid and speedy. Stay away from Dell. Their prices are not competitive at all right now (e.g. they're high.) In addition, stay VERY VERY far away from Sony VAIOs. They're bad.

#6 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:03 AM

I might suggest looking up Newegg, since thats where I got my laptop, however I'm not entirely sure how good they are either.

Secondly, theres ALWAYS emperorlinux *shot*

But you said you want to be able to play games on it, so emperor linux isn't for you.

#7 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:28 AM

The Sony Vaio notebooks look really good. I remember drooling over them. But I have never owned a laptop so I don't really know.

#8 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

Just be wary, most notebooks are filled with Bloatware.

#9 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

Yeah, its gonna be fun getting everything changed over to how I want it to be and getting the useless crap off there.

On another note:

I found what looks to be a pretty good deal at PC Club too: http://www.pcclub.co...m?itemno=ENP665

Its available with Windows XP, still has a dual core processor, same video as the Dell does, comparable hard drive, and 2gb of RAM for less than both of the other ones I mentioned earlier. Only downside is the warranty's a bit shorter, and I'd have to lug it about 30 miles over to the store in Mesa, AZ if something goes wrong if I'm reading it correctly.

Do you think this one would be ok?

The only thing I'm not sure of is the battery life, which probably won't be very good considering how powerful of a computer it is. Although, it shouldn't matter too much, since it'll spend most of the time plugged into an outlet, as there are plenty of them scattered around the classrooms and lunchroom, and I've got a spare one at home for it.

#10 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

If you feel the shorter warranty will be a problem, be wary about that, and IF something should go wrong, I would not want to drive 30 miles to get it fixed. At an average speed, you'd get there in 45 minutes. Though thats not that bad, I'm sure the gas prices down there are murder. If its a lemon, you could easily make up the price you saved on gas expenses.

#11 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

Typically you'll want a notebook with power and speed. Try looking for a used Dell with a fresh install of Windows on it. Dell, as in, a USED one (repeating myself) that is less than the normally overly-expensive price.

And has no one touched Gateway? They look pretty stable, but they're slowly dying as a company. But yeah, STAY AWAY FROM THE SONY VAIO. Anyway, Toshiba Satellites are also quite good and well-put-together.

Or just get a two-hundred dollar Windows 2000 laptop ... Windows XP is Windows 2000 with a facelift. icon_razz.gif (Maybe a few Windows ME added features, but without the severe bugs)

#12 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

Only an idiot would buy a $1700 computer and replace Vista with XP. The only time you'll ever have problems on Vista is if it's installed on some old piece of ****. Trust me. Vista is MUCH better than XP.

As for your budget, get a Macbook with all the extras.

#13 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Feb 4 2008, 05:27 PM) View Post

The only time you'll ever have problems on Vista is if it's installed on some old piece of ****. Trust me. Vista is MUCH better than XP.

I've got a whole list of programs I use that are known to be incompatible with it so far. Nothing I could do would fix all the incompatibility problems it still has.

#14 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

Care to give me some examples?

#15 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

The current public version of Skulltag has serious server issues in Vista.

The version of Game Maker I use (5.0) is 100% incompatible, and will not even start, nor will games created with it.

That leaves games like Jumper Two, Jumper Redux, etc. out, and I play those quite frequently.

The GIMP has font problems in Vista. I've read it just crashes out on most systems as its looking for fonts.

And the list could go on and on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users