Tileset Ideas

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:13 AM

Not quite as many people are working on shareable tilesets of late.

There was a Firebird Tileset Update, and someone was working on

a tileset called PTUS(a PTUX update) but that seems to be the only

activity in awhile.I'm kind of curious, what does the ZC community

want to see as far as tilesets are concerned?

Support for Big Link?

Completely scripted Enemy Sets?

Something unique, not yet touched upon?

Modern ZC has many features, an enemy editor that can be further supplemented by scripts,

a vastly extended combo editor. There isn't a standard or proper use case scenario

anymore, because you can do so much. Therefore, to start a tileset, one needs

a very specific plan or idea. I often get vaguely inspired to hash something out,

but I need a clear and specific goal what to work on. Does anyone have any

ideas that might be a good place to start?

#2 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:31 AM

Something I plan to add support to in my tileset is sideview tiles.

• Shane likes this

#3 Phosphor

Phosphor

Pixelating

• Members

Posted 21 June 2023 - 03:10 PM

All of the most used tilesets outside classic are a few years old at this point, meaning they don't have complete support for many of the modern features of ZQ, like the overhauled combo editor, combo pools, etc. Support for stuff like that is mostly why I'm working on PTUS, but I implore anyone else to strive to take full advantage of 2.55's new features in designing new or updating old tilesets. I managed to get a scriptless Beamos fully working in PTUS using the new combo features. The questmaker can just plop into a dungeon using a simple prefabricated combo alias. Setting tilesets to take full advantage of the new features can significantly streamline the questmaking process, allowing more questmakers to focus more on the granular details.

• Taco Chopper and Aslion like this

#4 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 22 June 2023 - 02:41 PM

I think generally there just needs to be tilesets compatible and set up for 2.55 with the slew of new features that have been added.

• Taco Chopper likes this

#5 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 June 2023 - 11:21 AM

The 2.55 compatability is definitely the highest priority for any new tileset. Once a stable, "final" version is released, my guess is that it'd be a lot easier to build a tileset around whatever new features are in that version. No point starting a tileset from scratch until something close to a final iteration of 2.55 is on the horizon, and you know what's worth implementing from a tileset point of view.

#6 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 24 June 2023 - 03:51 PM

The 2.55 compatability is definitely the highest priority for any new tileset. Once a stable, "final" version is released, my guess is that it'd be a lot easier to build a tileset around whatever new features are in that version. No point starting a tileset from scratch until something close to a final iteration of 2.55 is on the horizon, and you know what's worth implementing from a tileset point of view.

i don't disagree with you but i think if we wait that long we'll just never have any new tilesets come out

#7 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 25 June 2023 - 03:12 AM

I think its probably worth at least implementing the more universal features such as pits or switch combos if you're making a new tileset. Things people are most likely to end up adding themselves if they're absent.

#8 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 25 June 2023 - 09:42 PM

I would like a nice tileset for sideview quests.

#9 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 June 2023 - 07:33 AM

Yeah, having features missing that you would need tiles for sucks- but frankly we are wrapping up on features for 2.55, so there isn't THAT much you would be missing.

Mainly, the things that I can think of that are NOT in yet that you would want tiles for:

• Fire/Ice Rod (item and projectiles), including frozen enemies (you would be able to set a "frozen tile" and "frozen cset"), and a "burn to death" sprite (probably will just be a fire that overlays on top of the enemy sprite while it dies- keep in mind this would also be used for "burn transform", ala minish cap burning a gibdo and it becoming a stalfos)
  • Pegasus Boots / Dashing (player sprites, including bonking, and sword-dashing, as well as any combos you would want related to this. Triggers would likely include "bonk into to trigger", "Step on while dashing to trigger", and "step on while NOT dashing to trigger")
  • Maybe some minor new enemy stuff... not sure. Nothing specific planned afaik, but the enemy editor needs to be rewritten still before we can really even look at that. This will definitely include the frozen/burn to death stuff customizable per enemy eventually, as well as likely per-enemy "fall into pit" sprites.

...and that's really mostly it. Well, I mean, there's connor's Z3 stuff, but that'll be done when its' done and is enough of a thing you might want to even design a tileset around it. Notable thing you might want to handle here - most tilesets have the hookshot be ABSURDLY long, and it doesn't matter since it stops at the edge of the screen. In Z3 scrolling.... well... that looks silly as hell because it can go REALLY REALLY far off screen then. So, probably make sure your hookshots aren't et to be several screens long unless you intend for that, lol.

As long as you leave room for dashing type player sprites and frozen/burn stuff, I see no reason you couldn't start now and work on 99% of things.

EDIT: Also possibly a SHOVEL, completely forgot that was on my todo list.

• Twilight Knight, Jenny and Matthew like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users