Photo

What slows down the progress of your work?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: What slows down the progress of your work?

What slows down the progress of your work?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 RohanGarm

RohanGarm

Hero from the Desert

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

Im new to ZQuest and have difficulty figuring out how to put together maps using tilesets. I am used to using RPG Maker and ZQuests interface and controls are so different. I really dont know how to start.

#47 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

Im new to ZQuest and have difficulty figuring out how to put together maps using tilesets. I am used to using RPG Maker and ZQuests interface and controls are so different. I really dont know how to start. 

Start by trying to make a simple 1 small dungeon quest in ZC and learn from that, Then keep doing stuff like it and refine your work. Eventually, If you try, You will be able to use ZC just fine!

• TheLegend_njf likes this

#48 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

Pretty much what coolgamer012345 said. I would also give Teamudf's tutorial a watch.  He goes into a lot of depth and is a great tool to help a beginner with ZQuest grasp the basics. But start off with something small and basic, such as a small dungeon and work your way up to the more advanced functions as you get more skilled, such as using layers, making custom graphics and even get into scripting.

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#49 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

I'd also add that your first game doesn't need to be epically large. Set your sights on something you know you can manage. Even if it's a sixteen-screen overworld with two dungeons, it's better than not completing a quest.

(Speaking of which, I ought to make a little game like that just so I can say I've completed one in however many years it is I've been here.)

• Jared and KingPridenia like this

#50 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

Still have a large lack of time, due to homework and videogames.

#51 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

I have OCD. And it's really powerful.

• Jared likes this

#52 RohanGarm

RohanGarm

Hero from the Desert

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

Damn. Trying to work out dungeons is a pain in the ass. Im gaving trouble making all the rooms connect and this is only the first dungeon. Im trying to put up the comprehensive tutorial dungeon. Sigh <__>

#53 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:44 AM

^I know the feeling. The first dungeon is always the hardest to make. So easy to make mistakes and get yourself stuck or have things not work. Once you get into the swing of things, it won't be as painful. But starting out, making a quest feels so tedious and is an exercise in frustration. It took me a while to get the basics down when I used 1.92 beta 183. When I finally transitioned to the 2.5 build that was completed at the end of 2012 (not sure what version of 2.5 that is exactly), it took me a while to get used to all of the new stuff and my first 2.5 quest started off a bug-ridden nightmare.

#54 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:46 AM

What I'd do is do something like in the Oracle series, but more longer and with more substance.

ALBW had stopped progress for me. But I got ideas now. :P

Edited by Shane, 26 November 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#55 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'd suggest, separate yourself from the fear of wasted investment. I invested two years into Souls 2 than immediately stopped. Not only did I have the time invested, I also had the commitment invested. So why did I stop? It was suffering an identity crises due to being designed by completely different quest design styles.

I have learned too much too fast, that the quest quickly changes from good to great, but in the worst way possible because it is now a disorganized mess.

The interest to commit should not be your excuse to build a quest that may be too large, like the majority says, even if you do complete it people will know you rushed it. Souls of Wisdom should have been taken with the same consideration, but I was focused only on grand scale at the time.

#56 RohanGarm

RohanGarm

Hero from the Desert

• Members

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

Id say that mine is more of a combination of low exp and disorganized thought. I find my self staring blankly at the screen whenever I try to start a quest. I know what I want to do but not how to start going about doing it. >__<

#57 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:17 AM

Well I just started, but so far the thing that's kept me away from actual quest building the most is working on the music >_<

#58 DaLink

DaLink

These are my work clothes.

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

EVERYTHING. JUST EVERYTHING

#59 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

Depression and lack of alcohol, no really my best scripts are written when I'm drunk I'm not kidding.

#60 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

It's actually more of a tie between Motivation and Block. Mostly Block is what gets it started. I've been programmed into a mindset that doesn't really allow for random blandness anymore and it makes filling up maps quite difficult to do. It is also possible my ADD is not as suppressed as I once thought it was...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users