51 replies to this topic

#1 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:20 AM

http://armageddongam...a-call-for-help

QUOTE(DarkDragon on AGN)
When Jeremy (Phantom Menace) and Jarrod (War Lord) started working on Zelda Classic 13 years ago, I'm sure they had no idea how much it would take off -- that it would become the most popular Allegro project of all time, that it would be featured on TechTV and Home of the Underdogs, or that its fans would create hundreds of custom quests, many rivaling the official 2D Zelda games in quality. To help distribute and publicize their game, they and some of their friends created the Armageddon Games "company" and started this forum; the ZC splash screen has featured the AGN logo since.

However in recent years War Lord, much like most of the original members of AGN, has become very busy in real life; in a recent discussion with ctrl-alt-delete, he indicated that he no longer has the time to remain Zelda Classic's official custodian, and has asked us to take two steps to ensure that ZC continues to develop and thrive: open the ZC source, and revamp zeldaclassic.com to serve as an official home for continued ZC development.

What follows is our plan for implementing these wishes. Before I get into the details, I want to acknowledge that the proposed changes will be somewhat controversial. However, we've shared this plan with both the current developers and Phantom Menace, and recently with the forum staff as well, and hope we've addressed the most serious concerns. While the precise impact these changes will have is impossible to predict, I honestly believe they are in the best interests of the project in the long term, and will breathe new life into ZC and its community; I am therefore excited to announce that the ZC 2.50 release will be accompanied by the release of (most of) its source code under the GPL, accompanied by a switch to open development, and that we are launching a revamp of zeldaclassic.com to get it ready to be the hub of this development.

Let me be more specific about what this means, and what it does not:
Development of ZC 2.50 will not be affected. All of the changes I'm discussing here will take effect when 2.50 is released.
Your old password-protected quests will remain protected, to the extent they are now. The opened version of 2.50 will have its quest decryption keys stripped out; what this means is that old quests, and new quests built with the "official" zquest binary, will play only on the "official" zc player. Quests saved in the open zquest will play on both the open and "official" player.
Dark Nation and his chosen minions will remain the developers of the "official" Zelda Classic, and will have final say over what changes get committed to the official code repository.
You will be free to browse the source code, compile it, and if you so desire, submit patches to the developers for inclusion in newer versions of ZC.
You will be free to make a new version (fork) of ZC, provided that you publicly release the source code to your new version. Of course, we would hope that you would instead contribute to official development, rather than splintering off your own version.
You are free, and encouraged, to port ZC to new platforms, such as the PSP, Android, etc.

We hope to turn zeldaclassic.com into the hub for ZC's future, open development. We want to add to the site the official repository; the scripts and wiki currently hosted on shardstorm; a professional bug-tracker like Bugzilla; an improved QDB that is more easy to search and upload files to; and a modernized layout. To do all of this we will need your help! If you have a vision for what the site should look like or what features it should have, please let us know! If you're a web developer, designer, or artist and would like to help us build or maintain a worthy new home for Zelda Classic, we could definitely use your skills! And as always, feel free to reply here with any questions, thoughts, or suggestions.

Edited by SUCCESSOR, 22 October 2012 - 03:21 AM.

#2 bobby_light

bobby_light

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

As a tool developer, this is excellent news. ZScript code editors will finally be able to hook directly into the ZScript compiler. I also wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising young developer made a ZC port built off of a more modern library than Allegro.

#3 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Awesome! I've wanted to have a look at (and play with) the ZC source code for a long time.

Maybe in a couple more semesters of CSC I'll be advanced enough to start submitting my own patches/new features.

#4 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

SWEET!!! Maybe now we'll see a ZC player for the PSP! That is, when they release the source code.

Edited by Sepulcher, 22 October 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#5 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

This is interesting. Since it will now be open source... what is going to happen to the developers? Because now, it seems like anyone including me can be a developer... I am just wondering because I am thinking of what this means. This still means 2.5 is the main focus correct? And after that... is there going to be a main release after that? 3.0? Or will it just be different releases by anyone. Will the quest releases all have to be released with it's own ZC? I am over thinking it, lol. I will just sit back and see how this pans out. I am taking this is a good thing, but I just hope it doesn't delay 2.5 or anything like that. lol

#6 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

I really wasn't for the open sourcing ZC, But after thinking about it. Its actually a good idea. people will be able to add their own features patch things to work better.
Port the program to other systems such as PSP. or maybe the Wii. Or something.

#7 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

The first thing that should happen is expanding the number of tiles per screen OR allowing for lttp zones that link multiple screens. Very cool

#8 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hmm, custom screen sizes would be really awesome (and just might be doable... maybe).

Z3 scrolling is probably ZC's #1 most wanted feature, but it would probably require a complete re-write that doesn't use the existing screens system.

#9 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Oct 22 2012, 10:15 AM) View Post

Hmm, custom screen sizes would be really awesome (and just might be doable... maybe).

Z3 scrolling is probably ZC's #1 most wanted feature, but it would probably require a complete re-write that doesn't use the existing screens system.

Would it be possible to set it up so that all the screens are linked and you create the "boundaries" with side-cancel warps or something? :o

#10 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

The trouble with linked screens is that they are still separate screens, each with their own separate enemies, states (including secrets), and what-not, so anything short of a re-write would just be a bunch of workarounds that would probably cause a lot of bugs.

#11 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE(SUCCESSOR @ Oct 22 2012, 04:20 AM) View Post

It hurts to be run over by a bus.

There's an implication running underneath this whole thing. What's supposed to happen to PureZC?

#12 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

AGN has always been the official site. Why should PureZC be changed at all by this?

#13 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

If I'm misinterpreting this, feel free to disregard entirely, but I think Bagel's concerns stemmed from this particular bit.

an improved QDB that is more easy to search and upload files to; and a modernized layout.

#14 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(Evan20000 @ Oct 22 2012, 02:00 PM) View Post

If I'm misinterpreting this, feel free to disregard entirely, but I think Bagel's concerns stemmed from this particular bit.

Yes, we're planning to update PureZC in the not-terribly-distant future. Until AGN's recent revival (despite some attempts in the late 2000s to revive zc.com and such), we were the only game in ZC town. We're fine with co-existing -- we don't want to compete. But some of the implications are pretty competitive in nature. Like ... how do we deal with an official AGN db, and PureZC's "fansite" database? There's not going to be a difference between them at first.

#15 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

I don't see the issue. Pure was the unofficial alternative in 2002 and it is the unofficial alternative in 2012. "run over?" I don't even see the bus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users