Photo

Does web design work differently on different browsers?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

Since I downloaded Firefox I have been enjoying the new features and the fact it runs faster. And I was wondering Does HTML and CSS work differently on different browsers?

Edited by bringer of destruction, 26 July 2007 - 07:13 PM.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

If you mean for making a website, then no. HTML is universal, no matter what you're on.

#3 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

Thank You I thought So.

#4 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:15 PM

Well, that's mostly true. The HTML CSS, and Javascript specifications are universal, but the differences in implementations can produce different results in different browsers. And no browser that I know of supports every single feature available. These isn't as true of HTML as of the other two, though.

QuirksMode and Wikipedia are most helpful in working out the differences.

#5 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

Yeah, what Saffith said is correct.

For the most part, HTML itself is works fairly similar in all browsers. Though, there are some added tags in some browsers. <marquee> was created for IE, and <blink> was created for Netscape, but they're not official HTML tags. Also, the defaults for some tags are different in each. For example, the positioning of text within a table is different in all browsers.

CSS and Javascript, however, are really different in each browser, particularly in positioning. Also, borders are regarded differently. In some browsers, the borders are added on the inside of the boundaries of a tag. In others, the borders are added on the outside of the boundaries of a tag. But, that's just a few.

But, depending on what you're doing, making a good looking site that works well in all browsers can really be a pain in the butt sometimes. icon_unsettled.gif

#6 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

Would W3schools.com tell me what tags are for what browser. like say Firefox.

#7 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

Not as far as I can tell, no.

#8 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:39 AM

If you wish to make a website of your own, I advise testing it on all three "big" ones - IE, Firefox, Opera.

W3schools and other tutorials do sometimes point out when introducing tags if they are not supported by all browsers.

#9 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

Thank you i will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users