• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#16 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Mar 8 2012, 05:08 AM) View Post

Rather than that (which is pretty obvious) you should probably have had explained that people that want to moderate will have to be capable of working with people of other opinions and attitudes without getting hostile towards them; will have to take responsibility for the descisions they make (I mean, the point of a moderator is not that s/he always asks some higher staff "Is that alright?" before they take action); will have to be able to accept when they are in the wrong; will have to have grown "a thick skin" on these forums (yeah, it's getting old saying this over and over but it's still as true); will have to have an approriate knowlege of other members (like, you see when someone is just making a harmless joke or when someone is troll baiting); will have to be able to restrain from developing a superior attitude (because on another level we still all are pretty equal as humans --- I have seen mods/staff in your team, though, that fail in that department) etc.

^ QFT

I completely agree. You pretty much listed all of the key essentials to becoming a true mod. Remember guys, this is NOT an application for high powers; rather, this is an application for a higher responsibility. A high-powered car is useless unless if you know how to use it properly.

#17 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

if 25 seconds is too long for you basically any staff member is Spiderman

and it is basically a job, you've got to use initiative and take responsibility when certain situations arise. Just because you've got shiny gold hearts doesn't mean you can have an ego kick, it just means you're a role model and a benchmark setter for behavioural standards.

#18 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Mar 8 2012, 07:14 AM) View Post

I completely agree. You pretty much listed all of the key essentials to becoming a true mod. Remember guys, this is NOT an application for high powers; rather, this is an application for a higher responsibility. A high-powered car is useless unless if you know how to use it properly.

Exactly. This is an application for those who feel they can be of assistance to the site as far as keeping things i check, this is not an application to become a tyrant of sorts.

Not trying to gloat about myself, but honestly I want to help out and those who know me have seen that I have a positive attitude, I have a "thick skin", and I don't stir up trouble. I've been called very mature. (I was called "One of the most mature newbies" by Dawnlight. That really meant a lot to me dude. icon_smile.gif) Also, I don't argue with people who have a different opinion than I do. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinions. The point that I'm trying to make with this is that if you are one of the selected few who win, make sure you have self-control. Don't go all "I AM GOD!!!" with the new position. This is a big responsibility and is not to be abused. The moderators are the ones who should set the example on what is the best way to behave on the forums. (Angeal, Nathaniel, and The Satellite are three I can think of off the top of my head who do an awesome job at this)

Remember, this is not a right, it is a privilege, and just like any other privilege this can be taken away just as easily as it is given. Please respect that.

Well, that's my two cents on the matter.

Have a great day everyone,
~Sepulcher

#19 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

Even if I wanted to offer to help with this, I'm not nearly as active as I could be on here due to working on other things. Besides, considering how often I see threads doing a 180 around here, I'd probably be known to toss out the padlocks on threads and throw away the Master Key, which is not obtainable in a chest by the way.

I'd be that one mod that "takes his job way too seriously." Slack is not an option.

#20 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Mar 8 2012, 05:08 AM) View Post

Rather than that (which is pretty obvious) you should probably have had explained that people that want to moderate will have to be capable of working with people of other opinions and attitudes without getting hostile towards them; will have to take responsibility for the descisions they make (I mean, the point of a moderator is not that s/he always asks some higher staff "Is that alright?" before they take action); will have to be able to accept when they are in the wrong; will have to have grown "a thick skin" on these forums (yeah, it's getting old saying this over and over but it's still as true); will have to have an approriate knowlege of other members (like, you see when someone is just making a harmless joke or when someone is troll baiting); will have to be able to restrain from developing a superior attitude (because on another level we still all are pretty equal as humans --- I have seen mods/staff in your team, though, that fail in that department) etc.

I mean, come on. Everybody knows that a moderator moderates some forums according to the rules. That shouldn't be everything there is to it though (and it is not, from what I gather from Robin when we are casually talking about one thing or another). You should make that clear to people before you ask them whether they want to submit an application.

And it is something I see happen unfortunately. Not much, but a lot of people who weren't prepared gained a bit of an attitude.

When you moderate a forum, you are basically the janitor. In fact, a good buddy of mine from The Hylia describes his role there as pretty much exactly that. An almighty Janitor *maybe*, but still a janitor. You get rid of spammy/crap posts, you edit things that need to be edited, and if serious action needs to be taken with someone, discuss it with your peers. It's the same way it works on any board.

...other than that, Yoshimi has basically described how to not look like a jackass on Facebook. icon_razz.gif Yes, it applies to PureZC as well.

I'm not saying everyone who posts in this thread has a shot of moderating here, but for those of you with this kind of passive "I'll never be worthy" attitude, allow me to reiterate that the people you look up to on this board are not saints. They're people like you who just have a mess to clean up (no I'm not saying they're nannies, heaven forbid.) In fact, if there's any mods/staff who would like to volunteer themselves by saying "Yeah I'm one of those people who isn't perfect, I mean I do X and X...", by all means tell us about it.

As for the other people, who are not willing to accept that kind of responsibility? *Perfectly understandable*. It's not quite Detroit, but Pure has a reputation due to its primary demographic. However, I strongly doubt that PureZC staff measures success based on how often you actually moderate, that would be silly. Does everyone get fired if it is a slow week, or someone beats someone else to something? No of course not. The idea is that there will be enough moderators to reasonably respond to issues on the board without waiting eight hours for one to log in.

If you as a moderator find you cannot handle the current situation in a thread, then leave that thread. Go! It will happen, especially here. If you want to build your relationships with your fellow staff, call on their help when you can't do the job, for pete's sake. You're not Superman. Just do the best job you can, and make FRIENDS, not RIVALS, with your peers.

Over at AGN, this is the kind of relationship we moderators have. It's not like the AGN of five years ago where the mods were elitists and pecked at new people like a flock of vultures, no. They're actually pretty nice people now. Life there is slow, but different. Ironically, PureZC mods could learn a thing or two from AGN. icon_wink.gif

Edited by King Aquamentus, 08 March 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#21 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

I would sign up for the position but I am not really active on this website enough to keep things in check. I will pass.

#22 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Sepulcher @ Mar 8 2012, 06:05 AM) View Post

Also, I think it would be awesome if SpacemanDan became a local/global mod. He's a really cool, kind, and all-around awesome person. icon_smile.gif
Let's not forget Ebola Zaire. icon_smile.gif

#23 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

I agree. SpacemanDan would be a good candidate. I haven't known him for very long, but it's clear he's mature enough.

Also, there's one more thing I wanted to add. If you want to have this elitist "superior to thou" attitude with the other members on the board, just remember: You're still less than a king, on a single board for a game making community that the internet absolutely does not care about.

#24 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(King Aquamentus @ Mar 8 2012, 03:39 PM) View Post
I agree. SpacemanDan would be a good candidate. I haven't known him for very long, but it's clear he's mature enough.

Also, there's one more thing I wanted to add. If you want to have this elitist "superior to thou" attitude with the other members on the board, just remember: You're still less than a king, on a single board for a game making community that the internet absolutely does not care about.
Actually this isn't true. After becoming a mod I was not only granted the power of flight and immortality, but I was also crowned the king of Sweden. It's true, google it.

#25 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Mar 8 2012, 08:49 AM) View Post

Actually this isn't true. After becoming a mod I was not only granted the power of flight and immortality, but I was also crowned the king of Sweden. It's true, google it.

IPB Image

...somehow I get the feeling I'm being lied to...

#26 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

And I became Robocop eventually. Just check my profile.

I really think the two most important things in any staff member, potential or otherwise, is self control and maturity. Honestly, telling someone to stop trolling or spamming is the easy stuff- being more involved behind the scenes is where a lot of the real work goes, and other staff are going to have differing opinions from you all the time, and it might piss you off. There's also the whole case of a member giving you backlash when you warn him, and you do have to be the bigger man and can't just do whatever you want, which sadly is just something I don't know if a lot of people can do.

I realize it's too late for some people, but; I really don't care if you're on the site 24/7. Hell, I'm only on for a few hours each day- what with 7 hours of sleep, then work, then a social life, plus I have the distractions of video games too. I'm around enough to be involved during the peak hours of the day, though. And it doesn't mean I don't make my fair share of work around here. Being active and being on the computer all the time are two completely different things to me.

#27 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

In the long run, one of the best things a moderator can do is to follow ShadowTiger's example: get to know new people and introduce yourself early on. Stay in touch, and be willing to offer advice. icon_biggrin.gif

You'd be surprised what kind of conflicts this can prevent from ever existing in the first place.

Edited by King Aquamentus, 08 March 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#28 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(King Aquamentus @ Mar 8 2012, 04:18 PM) View Post
In the long run, one of the best things a moderator can do is to follow ShadowTiger's example: get to know new people and introduce yourself early on. Stay in touch, and be willing to offer advice. icon_biggrin.gif

You'd be surprised what kind of conflicts this can prevent from ever existing in the first place.
That's a bit like saying 'If you want to be a great person, just be Jesus!'. While ShadowTiger is probably the most amazing person on this site, I don't think we should expect every other member, or moderator to be of such magnificence icon_razz.gif If they can settle for me, everyone else is (probably) gonna be just fine.

I don't have anything more to add to this topic other than off-topic jokes and the likes, so in an effort to avoid future moderators getting on my case for breaking the rules in the very topic that got them their positions, I'll end it off here while wishing everyone the best of luck. I'm incredibly excited to get in some new blood and the new perspective said blood brings with it.

#29 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Mar 8 2012, 09:58 AM) View Post

That's a bit like saying 'If you want to be a great person, just be Jesus!'. While ShadowTiger is probably the most amazing person on this site, I don't think we should expect every other member, or moderator to be of such magnificence icon_razz.gif If they can settle for me, everyone else is (probably) gonna be just fine.

I didn't ask that, just to get to know new members and stay in touch with them.

There was a throwaway line in The Dark Knight about how people in Rome treated their own authority as a burden, not a prize. Course they went on to say that Caesar abused it, but the point stands. I kinda feel like if I don't shoot for this, there might not be much more reason to hang around anymore. I'm 25 years old, and most of the demographic is much younger. I'm not saying "Because I'm older that's why", but because after seven years I want to help back.

Edited by King Aquamentus, 08 March 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#30 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Mar 8 2012, 06:08 AM) View Post

I mean, come on. Everybody knows that a moderator moderates some forums according to the rules. That shouldn't be everything there is to it though (and it is not, from what I gather from Robin when we are casually talking about one thing or another). You should make that clear to people before you ask them whether they want to submit an application.

We decided on purpose not to explain too much, because we wanted to see what people could understand on their own first when applying. Your post and some that have followed here are good signs that some people truly understand what it means to be a good staffer without having to be told that first by someone else. Those who already have that sort of understanding make strong candidates. We would take that into consideration along with what we already knew about said people who were applying.

When people get hired, they have a chance to read our moderator handbook, which I last revised a little over a year ago. I also plan on making some more revisions soon, which will go into effect once I have explained more on what changes will go on with the warn system, as some people have noticed from the A&P topic about it. I plan to be finished with that hopefully at some point this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users