Photo

Any aspiring graphic designers / artists out there?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#76 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:56 PM

ok, I'll PM a link to you.
I do plan on trying another palette or two soon

#77 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

I really like that Cukeman. Looks very fresh, and new. I dunno, perhaps having an option of a couple different colors? (Blue, Green, Red, Purple, Yellow??) That is, if we were to end up going with that, but I think it looks great.

#78 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:13 AM

Honestly the biggest thing about the forum UI that I don't like is that it's always set to span the entire width of the screen. Back in 2002/3 when the site started, monitor resolutions were significantly smaller than what they are now; I use one that's 1360px, but 1920px is also pretty common. On monitors this size, paragraphs are very, very wide; modern website design sets the post margin smaller for easier reading.

EDIT: As an example, when I was writing this post it was a small paragraph; it's just two lines as the forum displays it.

#79 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

Well, that's sort of opinion there. You have to have both to please people. icon_shrug.gif I personally prefer a max-width since I had everything stretched on my 1920x1080 monitor. Like you said, you can write a long paragraph and it end up being two lines. It makes it very weird to read stuff. I've gotten a bit used to it, but I still prefer a max-width.

#80 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Nov 30 2011, 07:28 PM) View Post

Well, that's sort of opinion there. You have to have both to please people. icon_shrug.gif I personally prefer a max-width since I had everything stretched on my 1920x1080 monitor. Like you said, you can write a long paragraph and it end up being two lines. It makes it very weird to read stuff. I've gotten a bit used to it, but I still prefer a max-width.

I'd have to agree LTM. My resolution is 1680x1050, so I have also gotten used to the 2 line paragraphs. It's my preference. icon_shrug.gif

#81 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

I know this is a bit old, but I'm curious, has any word about this gone about? I know it's not going to happen overnight, clearly, but I'm interested in what design the main page might use. I saw LTM's and Sigtau's designs...in terms of arrangement and flavor LTM's wins (of course it needs to be green for PureZC's sake icon_smile.gif), but Sigtau's is better for spacial things like "Latest SotW/SR winner" or something like that. If there was a halfway meeting ground where the arrangement of LTM's was kept, but the spacial requirements of Sigtau's were kept, it'd fit nicely.

#82 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

Is there any way to simply update our current layout and make it more...fresh? Some additions wouldn't hurt, but I really like how the site works as it is. It just needs to be modernized.

#83 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

The problem with the current layout is that it uses HTML tables, which are a sin in the web design community of today, and so using the same layout but with added bells and whistles would needlessly overcomplicate things (see the links I provided to understand why tables are bad).

A similar layout made from scratch but reminiscent of the original layout would be far more preferable and definitely more worthwhile.

#84 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

*reads entire thread for the first time*

...Well, I've got this for when April 1st comes around, I guess:

IPB Image

icon_shrug.gif

#85 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

I like 4masty's except for the cheese. Classic Link would make a good icon and with the black outline it even looks like something.

#86 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

You think so?

I suppose I could whip up a regular version of it; wouldn't take all that long. Gimme a sec.

*standard cartoon hammers/chainsaws/power tools/other insane sound effects*

Ta-daah. icon_biggrin.gif

IPB Image

("The Ultimate Zelda Classic Resource" is one of the main page's titles, so I went with that.)

I also have an animated .gif version with the Tirforce blinking blue like it does in Zelda 1, but found out ImageShack doesn't like animated .gifs; they don't animate after being uploaded. icon_frown.gif Ah well, gonna go find another site that does retain the animations in them.

Ooh! Y'know, what'd really be cool, though, I just thought of, is if ZC's NES font was used on the site (and the programming set up for it), in place of the small text being hard-drawn into the logo here; so that the main page's title would appear in the logo, and it'd be different every time the page was refreshed, just like the main page title does now.

#87 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE(sigtau @ Jan 5 2012, 05:30 PM) View Post

The problem with the current layout is that it uses HTML tables, which are a sin in the web design community of today, and so using the same layout but with added bells and whistles would needlessly overcomplicate things (see the links I provided to understand why tables are bad).

A similar layout made from scratch but reminiscent of the original layout would be far more preferable and definitely more worthwhile.

Oh.

Well, then...yeah. I totally meant a similar one that doesn't you tablets.

Tictacs.

Tables.

#88 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(4matsy @ Jan 6 2012, 11:03 AM) View Post

You think so?

I suppose I could whip up a regular version of it; wouldn't take all that long. Gimme a sec.

*standard cartoon hammers/chainsaws/power tools/other insane sound effects*

Ta-daah. icon_biggrin.gif

IPB Image

("The Ultimate Zelda Classic Resource" is one of the main page's titles, so I went with that.)

I also have an animated .gif version with the Tirforce blinking blue like it does in Zelda 1, but found out ImageShack doesn't like animated .gifs; they don't animate after being uploaded. icon_frown.gif Ah well, gonna go find another site that does retain the animations in them.

Ooh! Y'know, what'd really be cool, though, I just thought of, is if ZC's NES font was used on the site (and the programming set up for it), in place of the small text being hard-drawn into the logo here; so that the main page's title would appear in the logo, and it'd be different every time the page was refreshed, just like the main page title does now.

Photobucket is, and will always be better than ImageShack XP. Upload the GIF there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users