Photo

Bomb Arrows.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:11 AM

To get the ball rolling here, I thought I'd go ahead and finally make a request I've had the idea for since scripting was introduced. Bomb Arrows. JJMaxx made some tiles for them eons ago, before they could even be a realistic item.

They even won tile of the week, back when we were still doing that.

Anyway, it would be seperate from the other arrows, much like fire/ice/light were in OoT. The nitty gritty of the item is that, when fired, it uses 1 arrow & 1 bomb. I'm assuming this is quite feasible and probably pretty easy so, I eagerly await the code, as well as the opportunity to toss it into the Script Database.

Thanks.

#2 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:17 AM

I can do this sure, won't take too long.
The only problem is that you'd have to sacrifice having either bombs or superbombs in your quest for it to work properly.

The other alternative is to have LA:DX style bomb arrows, where the arrows 'pick up' the bombs as you shoot them.
I already wrote that one, if you want it?

#3 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

I've never been overly crazy about Superbombs in the first place. I'd be willing to make the sacrifice.

Though, I am curious as to what you mean by "pick up bombs". Please, clarify.

#4 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

In Link's Awakening, if you equipped bombs and arrows at the same time and pressed both buttons, the arrow would get the bomb stuck on the end.

I've made something similar in ZC.
If you drop a bomb anywhere and shoot an arrow at it, the arrow picks up the bomb.

The only slight problem is that the bomb still explodes at the end of its fuse time, rather than on impact, but there's nothing I can do about that (within reason).

#5 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:50 AM

Huh, never even bothered trying that. Not a huge fan of the timing, though. I'd prefer the exploding on impact part, since that's kinda the whole point in my head. Adios superbombs then. Though, it does seem odd that I couldn't use the item editor to create a new item called bomb arrows that did what I wanted to do, without having to sacrifice either bombs or sbombs.

Sure, it'd still require scripting but..

#6 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:58 AM

Oh well, it's not quite like that.
It's to do with how bomb weapons work in ZScript.

The only way to set the fuse length of a bomb is to change it in the item editor; you can't just change a value in the script.
Which means the only way to make a bomb that explodes when you want it to is to spawn a bomb with a fuse length of 3 frames.

It's a bit clunky, but it does work.

Point is though, it's only with bombs.
If you wanted to script a fancy boomerang or something, you don't have to sacrifice the current boomerang.

Anyway, I'll write this when I've finished pratting about with my pegasus boots script.

#7 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

Why don't you spawn a bomb explosion when the arrow is not valid anymore?

#8 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

You know, I was just thinking that =S

I'm sure there's some reason you can't do that, otherwise I wouldn'tve gone for the workaround.
I remember C-Dawg was making a fuss about it months ago.
Maybe _L_ added that recently and you couldn't do it before.

Hrm...
I'll have a look into it.
Would make life much easier.

#9 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

Providing it works, would that option still decrease the bomb counter?

#10 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:20 PM

Indeed.
Decreasing the bomb counter is something you can do directly via script, thankfully.

#11 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

Wasn't _L_ doing this item script in his NeoFirst quest? I'm pretty sure he's having that bomb arrow thingy scripted.

#12 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

_L_ has the same (well not the same cause I wrote it myself, but simmilar) bomb/arrow script to me, but as far as I'm aware there's no script for a discrete 'bomb arrow' item as was asked for.

#13 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:30 AM

Wow, it's only been 10 days since you requested this.
Feels like I left it ages.

I know you said you didn't actually need it, but I was planning on doing it a bit earlier.

Anyway, here it is.

Turns out you don't need to sacrifice bombs or superbombs. Thanks to Lucas for that one.

#14 Guest_Meurlaut (Guest)

Guest_Meurlaut (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

Reading this thread I can see the obvious next step...
Could you not script an arrow that has a superbomb attached to it quite easily?

#15 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

Well yeah, all that'd mean doing would be to change the 'LW_BOMBBLAST' to say 'LW_SBOMBBLAST', and change the two 'CR_BOMBS' to say 'CR_SBOMBS'.

All you'd gain from doing that though is that it'd trigger flag 11 as well as flag 6.
I 'spose you could keep the normal bomb item, and then use this as a substitute for the super bombs though; they're a pretty lame item anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users