Voidrunner DX

Photo

Enemy update (i.e. Golden Sun is the best worst influence ever)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Purplemandown

Purplemandown

The Old Guard

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

No screenshots this time. There's just nothing to show short of making a video, and I don't have the time for that right now.

So the other day I was thinking, how could I make the combat in Voidrunner DX more difficult, without making each individual enemy more difficult? And then it came to me as I was playing Golden Sun: in RPGs, the player's party, and often the enemies, have one or two characters that are capable of applying buffs to their team. And suddenly, the idea came to me. Make your enemies buff each other.

I then proceeded to have script problems for a good week or so.

But then I got it fixed. And here you have it: some of the enemies in Voidrunner DX will be able to make each other stronger. As of now, I have:

Moblin War Leader - This is likely the first one you'll see. The Moblin War Leader can pick one of his allies, and increase their move speed and attack strength. (It has the visual cue of making a red disk-like overlay on the target).

Octoblock - This pun-based variant of the octorok can apply a shield to any one of it's allies whenever it stops. This shield will absorb any amount of damage, but only works once before being dispelled. (This is a blue transparent disk overlay).

Lynel Captain - If you played Voidrunner, you probably remember the burdensome shielded Lynels. Well, I had originally planned to include a blue (even stronger) variant as well, but I scrapped it. Now I have a use for it. Instead of shooting bombs as was originally planned, it now hastes it's allies when it stops, vastly increasing their move speed for a limited time (it's a huge bonus - some slower enemies will have their speeds more than tripled)(Haste is a yellow transparent disk).

Replicatory Ectoplasm - This Zol-like substance will likely be the cause of much hardship for players. Every time it pauses (don't worry, it doesn't move like a Zol), it marks an ally with a black disk. If the marked enemy is not killed in 5 seconds, then the mark is removed, and the enemy is duplicated. (Unfortunately, I had to cap the enemy count with this skill; anything more than 25ish and it would crash. So the Ectoplasm only marks enemies if there are less than 20 on the screen, and that number is subject to change if I find out that isn't low enough to prevent crashing). Just imagine if this thing marks a Death Knight :superevil:

Dr. Wizzrobe, M.D. - The pinacle of buffing, this crafty wizzard will randomly select from the Moblin War Leader's berserk, the Octoblock's shield, the Lynel Captain's haste, and a healing effect (when healed, the unit must take a green disk to indicate that it can not be healed again or buffed until it disappears). Lucky for you, I decided that having it clone things too would be a nightmare :bounce: .

So there you have it. While most of the enemies individually are getting nerfed a little bit, they should, as a group, become a good deal harder if any one (or more) of these foes are in their ranks.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:39 PM

I can't put into words how much I like this. Looking forward to seeing this in action. Nice work!

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

I love these buffing enemies! Really cool but it's not always so obvious wich of the enemies is the one that's buffing the others. Oh well, that just adds to the challenge.

Actually I'm posting because I'm stuck in the demo and have no idea where else to post this, so:
What to do after shooting an arrow on the eye statue in the fire dungeon to access a colored floor tile puzzle wich gave me a key? I mean where's the next locked door? Can't push heave blocks yet so I can't really go anywhere in this dungeon and can't find a locked door. Really good demo!

#4 Purplemandown

Purplemandown

The Old Guard

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

First, and I should have thought about this while I uploaded the demo, I'm gonna need to start a new update thread for demo stuff.

Second, though, when you shot the arrow into the statue, you raised the platform up to fill the gap in the upper floor. You can now cross over on the top side.

#5 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Oh, now I understand it. That was quite confusing ;) Did not know that I had to fall down the hole now to reach new rooms. Thank you, and yes a demo update thread might be good. I'll post my review as soon as I finished the demo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users