Photo

Do you make custom bosses?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: What sums up your attempts at custom bosses, or lack thereof?

What sums up your attempts at custom bosses, or lack thereof?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:16 PM

I think Coustom Bosses make a quest more intresting because most quest have Aquametus for the first boss which gets the player tired of them......

I'm going to put costom bosses in my game.

#17 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:27 PM

What am I seeing in this thread? Custom bosses are too short? The regular ZC bosses are better etc? icon_freak.gif

Good custom bosses make a quest much better. Of course cb making is not for anyone. One needs to have very good ideas, good ZQuest knowledge and loads of patience to be able to create good custom bosses.

I always try to add custom bosses here and there if I feel need for it. Just a moment ago I was working on a pretty nice custom boss. I tested it, and it was buggy as hell. But when I fix those bugs, it will be a much more interesting experience than fighting against a basic Gleeok or Manhandla. icon_wink.gif

#18 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:31 PM

I argee with Petoe, custom bosses are way better than the regular bosses if done right. How many times have we fought the regular bosses like Manhandlas. Too much to count. Yes, there are a lot of bugs in the custom bosses, however, if you take the time out figure them out and fix them, custom bosses rocks. icon_smile.gif

Orginality icon_smile.gif

#19 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:47 PM

Manhandla is the suck next to my spoon of doom! icon_biggrin.gif (But there is no spoon, so... )

I've done a few custom bosses back in "The Day." But sometimes, I just get completely fed up with them. They take so long to make, assemble, operate, .. and even then, you have to figure out what's happening on each screen. icon_shrug.gif It gets far too complex for my walnut-sized mental capacity.

#20 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:01 PM

you forgot the 'not yet' option. I'm experimenting with ways to make my first custom boss, probably with alot of insta-warps (not in the places you'd expect)

#21 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(cool mike @ Sep 20 2004, 03:16 PM)
I think Coustom Bosses make a quest more intresting because most quest have Aquametus for the first boss which gets the player tired of them......

I'm going to put costom bosses in my game.

While I am not in any way disagreeing with you, I wanted to point out that Aquamentus is such a weak enemy that the only time it is any challenge at all is very early in the game.

- Magic Shields block its fire, which is the only thing challenging to dodge.
- It takes only 6 hits with the wooden sword.
- It's easy to bomb (2 hits).
- It's even easier to shoot with an arrow (3 hits).
- It only does 1/2 heart damage (with breath, not sure about touching it)

So really, if the player has any chance at all to buy items or find heart containers, Aquamentus can't really be a challenge.

That said, I am going to save most of the original ZC bosses as mini-bosses, in Dance of Remembrance. Only nasty stuff such as Gleeok 2 will have any chance of becoming a main boss. Even that I might still make it a mini-boss, since it would appear as late as level 7.

Good luck with your custom bosses, Mike. icon_smile.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

Edited by Radien, 28 September 2004 - 10:07 PM.

#22 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:47 AM

As long as the animation and the graphics look good, ( and it works ) custom bosses all the way.If you want a boss to do something that the zc bosses cant do, then i mostly make custom bosses. It does take a gagantic last of time to make and get it to work however. I dont really think D-maps are an issue cause theres 256 dmaps...
The only real issue is its incrediabilty ( cant speel ) hard to make the boss fairly diffecult. Most of the time they are either super hard, or super easy. It does add some uniqeness to the game. If people dont want to do it, they dont have to, but i think it makes the game a little more intersting. icon_lol.gif

#23 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 17 October 2004 - 04:22 PM

I never use them. If I'm out of boss ideas, I just use some strong enemies for a boss.

Edited by Hergiswi, 17 October 2004 - 04:23 PM.

#24 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE(ZC-Ninja @ Oct 17 2004, 08:47 AM)
I dont really think D-maps are an issue cause theres 256 dmaps...

You'd be amazed, actually... I just finished my first level, and not counting the cut scene that's going to play after you get the Triforce item (not done yet), I've already used 17+ DMaps!!!... icon_eek.gif And go talk to PolygonX8: in one of his upcoming projects, he was expecting to need as many as 300!! icon_dead.gif

I don't know how much I'm going to use up in the way of map, combo, or tile space, but I think I can safely say that the number of DMaps available will definitely be an issue I have to consider.

The only real issue is its incrediabilty ( cant speel ) hard to make the boss fairly diffecult. Most of the time they are either super hard, or super easy.

True, true. The real problem in my very small amount of experience is making them unpredictable. If their pattern repeats too predictably, the player need only find a "safe spot" and cling to it.... or sometimes just run up to the boss and button-mash.

I have yet to run into the problem of making a custom boss TOO hard, but after playing through Alundra for PSOne, I can easily think of a few surefire (and extremely annoying) methods... icon_rolleyes.gif

#25 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:25 AM

I would like to try custom bosses, but I'm not at that point in my quest. Sounds REAL hard to make, but I think I can do it.

BTW: Is the minimap jumping thing really annoying to players? My quest has many instances of this. Doesn't bother me, because it would be too much hasle to fix this. So, I just ignore the Map Jumping around. Of course, I don't allow this when exploring dungeons, but when a player isn't I don't think players would mind. It's just a little odd, I guess.

#26 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE(SwordOfSeals @ Oct 18 2004, 02:25 PM)
BTW: Is the minimap jumping thing really annoying to players? My quest has many instances of this. Doesn't bother me, because it would be too much hasle to fix this. So, I just ignore the Map Jumping around. Of course, I don't allow this when exploring dungeons, but when a player isn't I don't think players would mind. It's just a little odd, I guess.

That's a good question and I'd like to know as well what people think. MMDWR has tons of custom bosses and during the boss fights there is always "minimap jumping". But no one has complained yet, so I guess people don't mind. Actually, if you think about it, it's a good thing that the dot jumps around. If the boss doesn't have a life meter, it doesn't matter much since when the dot moves the player can tell that he moved to the next stage of the boss.

About DMaps, as Radien said, they can run out EASILY! I've already ran out of DMaps in DWR. icon_frown.gif 256 just isn't enough these days. Some custom bosses take many DMaps, and if you have many custom bosses in your quest, you'll notice that it is a good idea to use DMaps wisely.
(I cannot start my next quest project before we get more DMaps. I'd need at least 400... and more shop types and... ok, I won't go off topic.)

#27 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 October 2004 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE(Radien)
You'd be amazed, actually... I just finished my first level, and not counting the cut scene that's going to play after you get the Triforce item (not done yet), I've already used 17+ DMaps!!!...  And go talk to PolygonX8: in one of his upcoming projects, he was expecting to need as many as 300!!

Maybe, I think I can manage to finish MtPP without them. MtPP is about... 43% complete and I've used 112 DMaps. Ouch, that'll probably double, but then... it might not as I have most of the areas made. Most of the DMaps come fro msave rooms, refill rooms, item acquisitions, bosses, etc.

Speaking of which, MtPP demo 2 is out... not sure if many noticed, but it's way down in the custom quest discussion now. icon_shrug.gif

And Petoe, for areas that use the same music, try to have them on the same DMap, regardless of map jumping. Players should not really care about the map-jumping, but everything else... gameplay, graphics, music, etc. I'm doing my best to conserve them as well. At least we have several maps. icon_smile.gif

I get map-jumping as well, but nobody should complain about it, seriously. There's even map jumping in MXL/MtPP when getting items, because there are two copies of the original screen with the item on it. The first one has pits at the edge of the screen and trigger perms everywhere else on the screen. When you come on the screen, it warps you to the second which has the item. Side warps are put so this screen leads to the original if you leave. When you grab the item, you hit a pit under it and get warped again to a different DMap with the acquisition theme. Then, when you walk away after the text appears, you'll warp to the original screen and hit the trigger perms which get rid of the pits... thus, no more item description. icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah... off topic, but I felt like sharing it.

When it comes to custom bosses, I figured out a method of my own to doing them (Happyman also said it's' how C does his bosses). Using timed warps, damage combos, and pits to your advantage.
I'd explain it, but I might be caught by my computer teacher. I can just say, use custom bosses! I hope once I finish Ridley, it inspires many ZQers and encourages them to make their own custom bosses. icon_biggrin.gif

#28 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 18 October 2004 - 02:01 PM

I guess we'll have to wait for the next Beta to create 999 Maps Quest. That, or sophisticated Enemy Editor (which would probably either a separate program, never, or in 10 years icon_cry.gif ). I say we have a better chance getting an improved talking/reading system in Zelda Classic than an enemy editor.

#29 eNJuR

eNJuR

Junior

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

The enimy editor in the beta versions really helps, plus if you are creative enough with triggers, graphics, and ffcs, it is hard to notice that a never-before-seen monster is just a modded old boss.

#30 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

to much trouble

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users