New Quest Announced!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:13 PM

Think? Am I really going to try to submit this art? No. It's early thinking. That photo was from back when the screen was going to be a castle courtyard. Knight's Test entrance will not have that much stuff.

Furthermore, I was showing that I finnaly knew how to layer, and the flowers were to be behind the trees, only partially visible, and therefore proof that there were layers.

#32 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

Maybe I should've slowed down. icon_heh.gif It's common place for designers to either leave the screen blank or fill it with one tile when they're showing an example. I did it once. icon_redface.gif

#33 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

Back to the castle shot, here's a quick example of a more lively screen, still being basically the same.

IPB Image

#34 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

It's alright. Here's a palleted dungeon.

IPB Image

#35 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

*critiques*

The tree in the top left's gonna get in the way of your walking. icon_sigh.gif

Okay, it's just an example screen! I know! icon_heh.gif

But anyways, yeah, that much detail makes it look better.

... but you probably knew that. icon_heh.gif

EDIT: @Dungeon shot

It's using the wrong door combos. Unless... this is just an example screen. icon_heh.gif

Edited by The Satellite, 16 July 2007 - 02:25 PM.

#36 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

Fuzzyman, you are using the wrong door combo set for the dungeon. You should use the regular LTTP door combo set.

And the floor you are using looks horrible, try something else.

also, I can give you some pointers on designing if you need to.

Edited by Master_of_Power, 16 July 2007 - 02:27 PM.

#37 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(fuzzyman @ Jul 16 2007, 02:24 PM) View Post

IPB Image

Better. Just, you need (House?) doors instead of cave, and I'm pretty sure the floor your using is a decoration. But otherwise, much better.

#38 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:28 PM

The outside border of the walls is reversed. The Top dotted part should go outwards.

#39 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:28 PM

The tree won't screw the walking if I put barriers on the other 2 screens as well.(Think continuinity). As for the door, I missed that, and will get right on it.

#40 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

yes, the whole dungeon screen is messed up. The torches are meant to be right on the walls.

#41 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(fuzzyman @ Jul 16 2007, 03:28 PM) View Post

The tree won't screw the walking if I put barriers on the other 2 screens as well.(Think continuinity).

Or... move the tree so only one piece is on that screen, and the tree is on four screens. It's a better design technique, and it makes you look smarter. icon_wink.gif

#42 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

IPB Image

'lil like that. The pillars make entrances look better. And add the Keese and stuff still too

What's up with me today? Normally I hate pure lol

Edited by gray0x, 16 July 2007 - 02:42 PM.

#43 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(fuzzyman @ Jul 16 2007, 02:24 PM) View Post

IPB Image
Everyone said doors, torches, and junk, but that floor is bugging the heck outta me. You're using part of what's supposed to be the light coming out of the entrance of the dungeon. I recommend ooking at gray0x's screen, his is designed better from an easy to look at perspective.

#44 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:48 PM

This is wierd. The doors look fine on ZQuest, but when I fire it up they're screwed.

#45 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

Just some advice for you Fuzzyman; before you start even contemplating design of a quest, like someone suggested earlier, read the tutorials and learn how all of the basic operations of Z-Quest work and function. It's too easy to be introduced to Z-Quest and then promise some epic quest when you have trouble putting a screen together. And to be honest, graphics are the easiest element of the program! Then you have to learn how to place undercombos and secret combos, how to define entrances and exits for caves and dungeons, how to award items and set enemies, etcera. On top of that, the graphics bar has unfortunately gotten so high due to the skills of (*Cough* Professional Pixel Artists *Cough*) such illustrious names as Noel, Radien, Linkus, Relic, and the Wizzrobe that unless you can innovate with the existing tilesets and try to create something new and fresh graphically, and on top of that create a quest layout that can compete with Shoelace's Hero Of Dreams (Not necessarily in scope, just in innovation) or Darkflamewolf's quests, you're unfortunately screwed, lol! I'm not saying that it's an impossible mountain to climb; I'm just trying to say that one needs to be aware that there is a lot of tough competition out there and if you hope to produce something memorable and original, rushing into it without first learning the tricks of the trade will set you up for disappointment. That's the same problem I'm having right now. I know for the most part how the program and it's bells and whistles work, but I simply cannot come up with a quest idea that isn't something that hasn't been done before which is why I have nothing to show despite my knowledge of how to use Z-Quest. All I can say is good luck, and listen to what some of the more experienced designers suggest, and play some of their quests first to get a feel for how things should be done with certain tilesets so you don't end up with improperly used tiles in your quest. By the way, your doors are screwed up because you are not using the doors editing tool to specify door locations and types. Simply putting a door in a wall will not work if you have a different door specified in the doors editor under tools, and also if your walkability tags are not set properly you will not even be able to walk though them. Trust me, read the tutorials first!

Edited by Captain Magenta, 16 July 2007 - 04:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users