Please help me with drawing scripted meters, assigning extra buttons &

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#76 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

Item->Misc[] would do for durability, and damage. That mate, gives you the power of automation, and should keep the vital stats for each item, isolated without any tomfoolery.

You can run a constant for loop to disable broken items, or reduce the power of damaged items.

I suggest

( ( Rand(1, 8) + Rand(1,6) + Rand(1, 8) ) - 2 )
for a curve. That will give you a range of 1-20, without an exact percentage of each number. It will average at 12.5, with a sweet spot of 10-15 if the RNG is high, or 9-13 if the RNG is low, giving you some room to set up averages.

If the d100 table was producing 'nothing' too often, then something is broken with the RNG. It had a 75% chance of producing an effect.

Well, actually, it had a 50% chance of doing nothing (since I didn't have the break or lose item functions added), plus, by reducing it to d20, I was able to mess with the probabilities of things happening. Now, the chance of hurting yourself (either HP or stamina) is about 60%, nothing is about 20%, drunk for 30 seconds is 5% and enemies being damaged is 15%, but since it only even rolls if you botch a crit roll, it's still a 1/400 chance of you critting yourself on any given attack, slightly higher odds than before (1/2000), but not so much so that it breaks the game.

#77 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:10 PM

Ok, so I'm trying to start converting some of those counters into arrays, but I'm not very good at it. I tried to make this little table based on ZoriaRPG's little tutorial thing he linked me, but I'm not sure if I set it up, right:

////////////////////////////
//Index 0: Player Level   //
//Index 1: Player MaxXP   //
////////////////////////////

int PlayerTable[20] =  { 1,    150,
                         2,    225,
                         3,    338,
                         4,    506,
                         5,    759,
                         6,   1139,
                         7,   1709,
                         8,   2562,
                         9,   3844,
                        10,   5767,
                        11,   8650,
                        12,  12975,
                        13,  19462,
                        14,  29192,
                        15,  43789,
                        16,  65684,
                        17,  98526,
                        18, 147789,
                        19, 221684,
                        20,      0}

const int LV_COLUMN = 2;
const int Level = 0;
const int MaxXP = 1;

I guess I'm supposed to write a for loop, here,  but I'm not entirely sure what the reference would be, since I don't think I'm writing to a pre-built pointer, like Game->LoadNPC() (which is what his example used). Also, I'm not sure if I made the table right, or if it was supposed to be two rows of 20, as opposed to two columns of 20. 

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#78 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

Damnz i want to play your game soons.*

A Leveling up system for a Zelda game - even a score system is what i crave the most of all.'

#79 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:05 PM

You might be a bit disappointed: It's not a Zelda game. In fact, it has nothing to do with the Legend of Zelda series, as a whole, it takes place in a completely original setting, with completely original characters.

#80 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

So... is your player table just telling you what MaxHP you'll have at each level? In that case you don't need to make it 2 columns.

Unless this table is recording the current level and MaxHP of 20 different characters...

(Also the line PlayerTable[20] means it can only hold 20 numbers - you have 40 in there)

maxHP = PlayerTable[curLevel - 1];

This sets your maxHP to the (curLevel)-th item in the array.

#81 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:18 PM

No, it's recording current level and xp needed to reach the next level. I wanted to do all the stats, but most of those are randomly generated, anyways, and I already have a script for those, anyways.

Also: Yeah, I didn't notice that. I HAD meant to increase it to 40. DUnno why I didn't

Edited by Binx, 04 June 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#82 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

You might be a bit disappointed: It's not a Zelda game. In fact, it has nothing to do with the Legend of Zelda series, as a whole, it takes place in a completely original setting, with completely original characters.

I dont cares, i'll still try its.

No matter what the character is.'

#83 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:52 AM

Damnz i want to play your game soons.*

A Leveling up system for a Zelda game - even a score system is what i crave the most of all.'

You do know that I put out demo games, with both of these in the past... The Death Zone, was one of my (much earlier) attempts at a score/points system package. It's far outmoded by my more recent work, but a points system, and a points-lives system is rather easy to make. There should be links to open code projects for both in my signature (see: Scripting Concepts).

Not one person requested any further development of points/lives mechanics, and thus, I developed them no further. Instead, I focused on RPG mechanics, many of which pilot in LoE; but some are not implemented in any public .qst files...

I'm not sure in what way you want to see a points implemented in a ZC game, but there are many other examples of games that have point scoring. Most people avoid it, because working around the ZC int cap requires 'mathematical creativity'; particularly if they try to use counters--or worse, a single counter--to achieve that goal, as low-scoring points games tend not to be as popular, compared to modern points.

(Compare SHMUPS from the late 70s, mid 80s, mid 90s, and early 00s.)

Have you tried Gleeok's 'GRIKARUGUN'? I think that had something equitable to a points mechanic. (Perhaps I'm remembering wrongly...)

Note also, that I developed points/lives primarily for sidescrolling, and shooting games. I tried to convince Alucard to include them both in LSiC, but he wanted to avoid both mechanics in the primary presentation, and was going to use them in a sequel, that to my knowledge, is not in development.

I'm planning to use both in future projects that emulate the feel of classic arcade games.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 05 June 2015 - 06:37 AM.

#84 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

I don't really see what the point would be for a RPG to use points/lives. Except maybe for minigames. Which reminds me, I need to start working on minigame concepts.

#85 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

I don't really see what the point would be for a RPG to use points/lives. Except maybe for minigames. Which reminds me, I need to start working on minigame concepts.

Points... I have a use for that, as I mentioned to you on Skype. Lives? None. I made points/lives for entirely different game models.

In an RPG, XP == Points
Lives == Item that automatically refills health and prevents death. I have both of those, and you likely do as well. They may wear other masks, but it boils down to the same essence. (Extract du'Nerd)

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 05 June 2015 - 10:51 AM.

#86 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:53 AM

How hard would it to be to script an arcade fighter minigame? I mean, realistically, you could use Ghosted enemies to mimic AI in sideview, right? And that would basically be all you'd need.

#87 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:54 AM

How hard would it to be to script an arcade fighter minigame? I mean, realistically, you could use Ghosted enemies to mimic AI in sideview, right? And that would basically be all you'd need.

Define 'fighter': Side-scrolling beat'em up?

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 05 June 2015 - 10:54 AM.

#88 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

Nope, single screen tournament fighter style, like a really bad clone of the original street fighter, except with weapons and really short people.

I mean, I suppose it would be possible, theoretically, to do an actual tournament fighter mode, with taller sprites and actual punch/kick controls and such, but it seems more complicated to do that, as opposed to just keeping everyone short and using regular LWeapons and EWeapons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users