Software modems, Hardware modems?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Okay. I was wondering Is a hardware modem better then a software modem?

See I have a old. "PCI Agere v92 modem", which is a software modem. I was thinking about buying a Usb external hardware modem.
Would a Hardware modem be any better then a software modem?

Or would it be best just to keep my old V92 software modem?

#2 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

From a technical point of view, yes- a hardware modem wins hands down. They're also easy to get running on multiple platforms.

You see, that modem you have isn't actually a modem. All it actually has is a sound chip for interpreting telephone noises. All the heavy lifting s*** that would normally be implemented in the hardware- data compression/transmission management/etc etc- is really being handled via software in Windows (or the OS in question).

This is why Linux users hate these things. They're not actually real modems. But since you're probably on Windows anyway, none of this makes any difference. Hardware or software modem- they'll perform about the same from an end-user perspective.

#3 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

When it comes to stuff like this, hardware pretty much always trumps software when it comes to speed and reliability simply because it's only devoted toward that one task.

However, in this day in age, it really doesn't make much of a difference simply because computers can easily handle doing it on the software side. So it's really up to you as to whether you want the modem/modem card in your computer or not.

#4 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Eurysilas @ Mar 1 2012, 09:09 AM) View Post

From a technical point of view, yes- a hardware modem wins hands down. They're also easy to get running on multiple platforms.

You see, that modem you have isn't actually a modem. All it actually has is a sound chip for interpreting telephone noises. All the heavy lifting s*** that would normally be implemented in the hardware- data compression/transmission management/etc etc- is really being handled via software in Windows (or the OS in question).

This is why Linux users hate these things. They're not actually real modems. But since you're probably on Windows anyway, none of this makes any difference. Hardware or software modem- they'll perform about the same from an end-user perspective.

Alright thanks! for the information on this. So from what I gather a software modem is just emulating a real modem and its making the OS do all the work.

And a Hardware modem has all the stuff built onto it to handle this without having the Os handle compression/transmission
Okay with that said I might just go with a hardware modem and ditch my softmodem. (Might as well upgrade anyways)

Since I'm teaching my self how to use Linux a hardware modem might come in handy icon_smile.gif

Thanks you For the information it really helped me to understand software and hardware modems a little better.

Edit: Well I just ordered a hardware modem Lets see how it does? I sure hope I might be able to break this 28.8kbs limit icon_razz.gif

Edited by Ventus, 01 March 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#5 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:22 AM

Just so everyone knows, "having the O/S do it all" as well as "being handled in software" are referring to having the CPU do all the work instead of a dedicated network/router device.

So Having a hardware modem will free up CPU resources during internet browsing/online multiplayer and these resources can be better spent else where.

#6 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Well, today I got my usb hardware modem in the mail. I have to say even though its running at 28.8kbs. (same as old modem)
but with this new modem the internet seems a bit snappier.

Yeah so...Hardware modems beats Software modems icon_smile.gif.
Now to find out how to get this new modem working On a Linux OS...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users