Photo

Lion and Tinman

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Lion and TinMan - Good or Bad

Good or Bad on Lion

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Good or Bad on TinMan

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Mar 17 2008, 02:29 PM) View Post

Now THAT'S our Lion. This was a witty idea.

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Mar 17 2008, 02:38 PM) View Post

Jerome, the tiles are good. I especially like how you made the lion's cheeks fat and his creative attack animation. icon_smile.gif

Thanks

I think he will continue to use Dorothy's basket for his attack for a while. There's no "beam" though. Because a flying flashing basket looks a little silly. But any idea on an upgrade for him?

#32 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

Didn't you say you use his tail for attack? I thought he turns back exactly to use his tail. Which IS a really witty idea. And though a flying basket isn't too radical, a flying lion tail... err... icon_odd.gif

#33 jerome

jerome

• Members

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

Yeah I was going to do the tail attack thing, but I didn't think it'd look right. Plus it might look funny when you become Lion and he holds his tail high above his head! icon_lol.gif Maybe it will look better when he is closer to one side than the other.

But it looks pretty funny with him swinging a basket with his tail as well.

EDIT: OK, I tried it with a swinging tail and it looks better than I thought it would. Had to change the downward attack tile a little, but it's basically the same.

But what looks REALLY funny/wrong is when TinMan takes over swinging a tail... that's just not right I tell you.

PS- No flying tails either.

Edited by jerome, 17 March 2008 - 05:14 PM.

#34 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

Simply when you give a shield to the player, you give a sword, too. You said you want an axe for Tinman. So, when the player gets Tinman, you give mirror shield (for LTM purposes) and the next sword (axe) and you include a "learn slash" room so Tinman won't just poke trees in hope something useful would happen then. Also, you can set sword beams to each sword invidually. And then later you can give a better axe to Tinman. Even more, the item editor lets you create any duplicate items with any modifications.

#35 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

Sword beams for Lion... hairballs? icon_nerd.gif That was halfway serious, by the way.

#36 jerome

jerome

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Mar 17 2008, 06:48 PM) View Post

Sword beams for Lion... hairballs? icon_nerd.gif That was halfway serious, by the way.

Only problem is this, he turns around when he attacks. So it would look like he's pooping on everyone. Keeps doing that too much and he'll bust something! icon_xd.gif

I did give TinMan an Axe. Maybe I'll work on some slash tiles for him. Then again, I'm wondering if I should do the same for Lion, since poking a tail out rarely happens.

EDIT UPDATE:
Slash with tail not going to happen. Looks dumb when his tail seperates from his body. The body spinning around for the spin looks good, but the tail seperating looks awful. Tinman's axe only looks good swinging in two directions.

Do you think I should give him slash when he gets one of the Guards' spears instead? A spear swinging opposite directions probably looks better than a 1 sided axe.

Edited by jerome, 18 March 2008 - 10:00 AM.

#37 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

I thought you gave him a two sided axe. I consider spears to be stabbing weapons, how would you slash with them? Even if the metal part hits the opponent, it's not the same as stabbing through it. Unless you really want it that way.

EDIT: I have some new weapons in the database, including axe. I tried to make it so that all slashing directions look good. Look for the newer submission, not the old one.

#38 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

Instead of a spear, you could give him a pike. That would fix your problem right there.

By the way, I'm very curious as to how this quest is coming along. Any chance you'd put some screens up in CQD?

#39 jerome

jerome

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Mar 18 2008, 11:29 AM) View Post

Instead of a spear, you could give him a pike. That would fix your problem right there.

By the way, I'm very curious as to how this quest is coming along. Any chance you'd put some screens up in CQD?

I think TinMan beating enemies with fish is a little odd dont you? Just kidding. But what is a pike, as a weapon?

I'm still working on the characters first, and then I'll work on design. I'm really torn between trying to learn the other tilesets other than classic (pure, DoR, whatever else looks really nice) and trying to make my own for this. I'd prefer the second, but more afraid of it turning into how DoR is currently. All tileset and no completed quest (yet). And it's no offense to the author of it, just I would prefer to get mine going. If I do choose any of the already made ones, I'm going to have plenty of my own custom tiles to add in anyways.

Any recommendations on which tileset I should try out? Keep this in mind, I don't know how to do layers yet. It looks like in v758 it's push a button and its done, but I don't know. icon_shrug.gif

Edited by jerome, 18 March 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#40 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:03 PM

Layering? Just go to Data => Layers, set the screen you want to use (upper number is "map", bottom number is the screen). Then the bottom bar's Layer section gets a new layer tickable. Tick it, and now everything you place on the screen will be placed on the layer. Why is it good?
1. Transparent colour gets 100% transparent
2. Ticking the "transparent" box makes the whole layer see-through
3. You can place multiple things on the same place
4. You can place things above Link's head, even above flying enemies (Layers 1 and 2 are below Link and push flagged combos, but above Layer 0. Layers 3 and 4 are above Link's head but below "overhead" combos and flying enemies. Layers 5 and 6 are absolute.)
I really don't think you could make a big quest without these features... icon_shrug.gif

As for tilesets... err, were you using Classic for these character sprites? icon_eek.gif
If you want to learn tilesets, oh well... Play Hero of Dreams for Pure-PTUX knowledge, play Shadows of Dawn for PTUX+ knowledge, play Ballad of a Bloodline for DoR++ knowledge, play Lost Isle for PTUX++ knowledge, play Shadow Knights for GB knowledge.

#41 jerome

jerome

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

Do I need to do that for every screen? or just once and it adjusts itself afterwards?

Example:
00 uses 08 for layer 5
10 uses 18 for layer 5 without setting anything up

OR

Setup:
00 uses Map 2- screen 08 for layer 5
00 uses Map 2- screen 00 for layer 0

Any limit on # of maps?
I know 255 for DMAPS from what Shoelace said once.

I've played a few of the quests you mentioned. It's not that I don't understand how they should go together, it's how to put layers together is all. I will try what you said to do later though.

This AUTOLAYER thing. It shows that I just pick a map number. Will that be easier for me? Sounds that way.

#42 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

I believe it's 255 maps... layers you just gotta get the hang of. I'd recommend against autolayers, they eat up map space.

A pike is simply a spear with this for a head.
IPB Image
Kind of like a really long axe with a smaller blade.

As for tilesets... well, DoR (either version) is definitely my favorite, but I'd suggest downloading DoR, Pure, and Radien's BS and then deciding which you like best. With the style graphics you have, BS might work really well.

#43 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

I never used autolayers, I don't even think it's practical... it's better when you set the layers for every screen yourself. Even all six layers if you want. And Layer 0 is where you place the combos by default. You placed combos only on it in Hero With No Name.

In 2.10, there are 255 maps and DMaps.
In the newest versions, there are 500 DMaps and still 255 maps.

EDIT: Also, I don't quite remember which you played and which not... You know, making a great quest and changing your avatar erased your personality from my memory and it treats you like you joined on the day you submitted your quest... That's why I didn't consider that you actually had the time to play those quests, because you are here for long enough... The nice little Jerome with the mask avatar... Memory deleted, recognizes the powerful Jerome with duck avatar...

#44 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:42 AM

I alway's use autolayer because I hate dicking around with dropdown menus for a half hour. icon_razz.gif

#45 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:24 AM

There's no drop down menus in layers, don't trick Jerome over. And it doesn't take half a hour to type 3 digits in. Plus, if autolayering assigns a map to a nother map's layer, then it created six almost empty maps, making bad use of place, unless you use all six layers on all screens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users