Monthly Update #3 - Wasted Time Is the Worst

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 BtjCraft

BtjCraft

Praise Double Helix!

• Members

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

Goodness I worked so hard this month, just to waste 90% of my progress. -_- (And I didn't even get this post in on time)

SO, what happened was that earlier this month (probably only a few days after I released the 2nd Monthly Update) I found out that the BS-X version of The Legend of Zelda had a completely different overworld and underworld design than from the original (I always assumed that the overworlds and the dungeons were the same as the NES classic, just with a different tileset since 2.10 had those "bs1st" and "bs2nd" quests, but still had all of the live clock and events stuff), and so when I found out that the BS-X versions were completely different, I kind of panicked since I intended to use a "BS-X feel" with Quest Beta and started up a brand new quest that would be a similar copy to BS-X but would have my scripts along with that, and so that began a whole frenzy of getting the ROMs and screen capturing everything in them to retrieve the designs and enemy setups. I got my head cleared up about it a couple days ago and decided to trash the 3 weeks of work I put into recreating that BS-X mimic in favor of keeping the modified "bs" quests that were supplied in 2.10. So, basically I got very little done in setting up Quest Beta. Which stinks. It basically feels like Weekly Update #3 all over again. If anybody even understood what I'm talking about.

But, of course, there is some good news: Displaying the score in RFP in the future will be mucb less buggier since Screen->DrawInteger has been fixed (thanks Saffith!!), which is nice for compatibility of future Zelda Classic versions since the original script actually abused the current limitation where ZC could only handle up to 4 decimal places.

Here's the original script here if you're curious about what it looked like:
ffc script displayScore
{
  void run()
  {
    int x;
    int tempdscore;
    bool restDigits = false;
    int h = .0001;
    while(loopGo)
    {
      for(int i = 9; i > -1; --i)
      {
        x = 207 - (i * 6);
        if(restDigits == true)
        {
          tempdscore -= (Pow(10,i + 1) + h) * ((dscore / 10000) * 10000);
          dscore = tempdscore / (Pow(10,i));
          dscoredig[i] = dscore;
          Screen->DrawInteger(7,x,-44,FONT_GBLA,8,-1,16,16,dscoredig[i],0,OP_OPAQUE);
          if(h == .0001)
          {
            h = 0;
          }
          else
          {
            h = .0001;
          }
        }
        else
        {
          if(score < Pow(10,i + 1) && score >= Pow(10,i))
          {
            tempdscore = score;
            dscore = tempdscore / (Pow(10,i));
            restDigits = true;
            dscoredig[i] = dscore;
            Screen->DrawInteger(7,x,-44,FONT_GBLA,8,-1,16,16,dscoredig[i],0,OP_OPAQUE);
          }
          else
          {
            Screen->DrawInteger(7,x,-44,FONT_GBLA,8,-1,16,16,0,0,OP_OPAQUE);
          }
        }
      }
      restDigits = false;
      Waitframe();
    }
  }
}
Anyway, that is about it. I'm sure September will be just as productive in terms of quest progress as August, just that a lot less of that productivity will be wasted. September 27th is the date for the next update, and hopefully by then I'll be ready to start getting my scripts together. But until then, see ya'll later and have a pleasant September!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users