ALttP Mountains are Confusing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RetraRoyale

RetraRoyale

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:52 AM

I managed to make a decent-looking ramp set. What is a ramp set? It's a set of ramps. ALttP had ramp tiles. For example, Link's house is on top of a hill, and you have to use a ramp to get down. Well, ALttP only had downward-facing ramps, and those work ok, but it really limits what you can do with the environment. Everything is up-down biased, and you can't make good horizontal height transitions. So I made a set that goes in each direction, in both light and dark world mountain types. I can see several ways to improve them, but all I need now are fitting placeholders.

Posted Image

Demonstration of new mountain tiles. You can see the up ramp in the middle, and the left ramp near the bottom. (Half of it is off the screen.) I'm still not sure about the shading on the up-ramp. I have 5 shades of green to use there, but I've opted for only one. I will probably experiment with more shades to make it look more like a slope. Oh, and notice that I transition from ALttP perspective to GB perspective on the tall mountain. It even looks like the right perspective because the GB mounatin is in the center and the ALttP mountain is on the side. Link can also access narrow corridors as shown. The flowers are just for fun. They don't actually go there, but they do seem to work ok.

I also changed the non-raised edges to to match the ground transition tiles. This is more in spirit with how ALttP was meant to look, and how newer tilesets do it.

There are some other big news things to point out. First, I'm not sure if I'm going to make these tiles unwalkable. One of the big issues I had in testing was layering bridges and hookshot obstacles on the overworld, so I think it would be more useful to layer walkability flags over the environment instead. However: this is SUPER tedious, and liable to make anyone hate using this tileset. At least, they might hate it until they figure out how to fix it.

Also, school is about to start soon, and I have a road trip and a move to make before then, so I will have to put this off for at least a bit. (How many degrees does one person need? Two, at least!) This last week has been pretty amazing though. It's awesome to take actual screenshots. It'll still be a while before I start building screens for Sacred Talion, but in the meantime, I will practice my screen-making on these kinds of test locations. Get the tileset really worn in and my skills honed.

::August 24, 2014::{
Started importing mountain tiles. I need to test them thoroughly before I add the whole set, since they really are a pain to work with.
More work on title screen. Tryig to get the sword to look good.
Sword looks good. Mission accomplished. Yep.
Made Z3 lamps for grass ground. I feel like I'm going to have to rebuild a lot of the mountains due to new ground types and errors. I also need to find a good way to organize them.
Started redesigning mountains. I've widened the raised edge and removed the shadows so that it'll be easier to work with the tiles. It'll be less faithful to ALttP, but the priority here is to make a good ZC quest, not remake a game that I can already play.
I think I have a complete set of normal light-world grass mountains. I decided to use the transition tiles for the lowered edges, which will allow for rapidly producing the other nineteen mountain variations. (Nineteen! What the craps!?)
Finished normal dark-world grass mountains. I tried to make the raised edges the same as the light world ones, which is different from how I had originally designed them.
Trying to rearrange mountain tiles, but I keep accidently deleting some or forgetting a few. ALttP mountains are certainly confusing.
}
  • Jared and Demonlink like this

#2 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:23 AM

Those look frickin awesome man! :O
  • RetraRoyale likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users