Dangerous Data Devourer On the Loose

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RetraRoyale

RetraRoyale

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:51 AM

A couple of productive days. I ran into the "half your enemies get deleted for no reason" bug. Apparently any enemy with an ID > 255 can spontaneously disappear. And if you don't think that's half my enemies... well I'm only up to 332 right now, but still.

I redesigned the magic meter so that it can look a little more glossy and not so flat. It was also the only subscreen item with a border, so I got rid of that and made it bigger. Here's what the look like:

Posted Image

Next, I couldn't get the Podobos to look good, nor could I find actual graphics for them. (They are the 4-fireball enemies running around in Lv 2,3, and 4 in the LttP dark world.) So I redesigned them from scratch:

Posted Image

I also added legs to the rats in order to give them some meaningful extra frames of animation. I think they look more 'mousey' and frantic:

Posted Image

Log dump:

::August 19, 2014::{
Rebuilt the magic meter again. I realized it was the only subscreen item with a border, so I had to remove the border and enlarge it. I also added a glassy-overlay effect so that it will look a little more interesting and not so flat.
Imported NPCs. I've grouped the roughly by their maximum use locations. Story NPCs first, then generics, Guards in HCT, brimmed hats in Casia, red hair in Gerudo, white hair in Oasika, and fairies for the Fairy Village.
Imported Animals and Items. Updated items in editor. Updated sprites in Misc editor; still have a lot to do there...
Started working on Misc effects. I renamed all the effects in the sprite list so that their names and purpose are a little more clear, and so that they are easier to edit. It's analogous to what I've done with the enemies, but less cryptic.
}
::August 20, 2014::{
Made hammer sprites. They are pretty much perfect, since hammers are just simple shapes, all you really need is an eye for 3D geometry and some patience.
Made Hookshot sprites. I don't know if they're lined up right, because they seem finicky.
Why is it so hard to find zombie and deadrock sprites?
Uh... I started fixing up some of the missing enemies: Turtle and Podobos. But when I went to update their enemy listings, I couldn't find the Podobos, and I though maybe I had called it Spark or something. Then I couldn't find Spark either. Then I noticed that I couldn't find Anti-fairy. Or Aquamentus (Orange). It turns out that every enemy entry numbered above 255 was erased! Luckily I had a backup quest that I could export the enemies from -- something that I would only have known to do if I had read about this problem somewhere else a few days ago. So now I have to keep enemy backups on file just in case the enemies fail.
I couldn't get the Podobos to look good, so I invented a cool new variation. It is a glass ball with fire inside. Also, with fire outside. Different colors of fires on the inner and outer part though. There is also a fire 2 version.
}
  • judasrising, Jared, Demonlink and 1 other like this

#2 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:09 AM

I am really hoping it`s not ZC bug. Otherwise maximum number of enemies in one quest is cut down to 256 from 512. This will be a quite delibrating limitation.  :swelter:

#3 RetraRoyale

RetraRoyale

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

It does seem like a ZC bug, since I don't think I'm the first to have this problem. I don't know what triggers it. I wasn't doing anything but editing tiles and saving/quitting/restarting repeatedly. If you use a lot of enemies, you just have to back them up and reload them when they go away. I don't think it significantly limits the maximum number of enemies unless you are careless. In other words, enemies 256-511 are like 'bonus slots' that require some extra hoops to be jumped through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users