Photo

How accurately should my overworld mimic the original NES Z1 world?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Z1 overworld and EoG Overworld

How accurate?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

Before and after
IPB ImageIPB Image

These are ment to be the same exact location, and you should know where it is.

Do you think I'm doing the right thing by editing/changing locations in the original overworld?

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:19 PM

Well, it's completely not visible that the right screen is based off of the left screen... But it's not even a problem. Under normal circumstances, I would say exact copy with added detail, but since you simplified the story, and involve the CD-i Zeldas, I don't look at this quest as a LoZ remake/sequel/addition/etc., so the original overworld doesn't bind you now. At least I won't yell at you for it.

#3 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

Simplified?

Heh! I think its a lot more complex since it involves a total of 5 stories.

But at least I have approval of 2 people, to say the least. I'd like to compare this to Origins, however, I'm afraid that that might not be so.

Secondly, I'm merely including the plots of the CD-I games. There is too little data scattered around the internet to make much detail. Thus, I'm only considering the plots and map screens of each as my reference. And even those will be dramatically altered for the sake of consistency.

#4 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

Well with my 2 cents in, I can see how yours resembles the original. If you are going for just a remake, then I think what you have is way better. If YOU want a remake with a little resemeblance to the orignal, but outlandishly different, then go for it! The original has it's own charm, but if what you did with that one screen relates to how the rest will be, that'll be a pretty dang cool quest.

#5 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:37 PM

download my Origin and check out shadowfalls' Origins, these are excellent ways of revamping an old quest. Then try and do one better. Origin goes more in the realm of having as little resemblence to the original as possible while shadowfalls' quests are a bit more exact.

#6 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

If I were you, I would not copy it screen-by screen. You should copy the design roughly, but NOT screen-by-screen.

#7 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(Alestance)

Simplified?

Heh! I think its a lot more complex since it involves a total of 5 stories.

Well, the original LoZ/AoL story, intro and backstory took up more hundreds of years, yet in your story everything that the AoL intro has happens between LoZ and AoL... So...
I real:
AoL backstory => LoZ => AoL intro => AoL
Your:
LoZ => Aol manual => AoL
In real, the Triforce takes its time to choose the Hero of Triforce (it happens right after LoZ, the chosen one becomes Link), but in your version, as soon as LoZ ends, Zelda gets the curse and Link gets immediately chosen and ready to go.

#8 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

No, Link isn't chosen, per se, he just acts. Impa tells him about the Triforce's wish and then he embarks to get the Triforce of Courage and make the wish to bring Hyrule to Peace and undo all of Ganon's damage.

This would expell Ganon from Hyrule, so he makes a plan to lure Link and the King out of Hyrule. If the one who wishes physicly leaves Hyrule, his wish's strength diminishes and Ganon can enter Hyrule again(kind of like a play on how the Triforce works in Windwaker)

And thusly, Ganon steals the whole Triforce for himself and throws the real Hyrule into Chaos.

Edited by Alestance, 28 February 2008 - 04:06 PM.

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

That actually looks more like screen 65 icon_razz.gif

#10 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

Agreed, actually. Screen 65 probably won't b the stream yet either. I'm moving it to the left a screen or two, and expanding the Lost Woods.

Edited by Alestance, 28 February 2008 - 04:13 PM.

#11 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

Heh, I tried a 1st quest remake with my LoT tileset, but I got bored and scrapped it. Yours looks pretty good, but I think theres already too many 1st quest remakes...

#12 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

Its not a first quest remake.

Its a reinvisioning of the Legend of Zelda. Like DFW did with her origins, I'm doing the same thing, but expanding into the territory of Zelda 2 and adding on to it with 3 more story ideas.

Its Zelda 1, 2, and then a overhaul of the first 2 Zelda CD-I games, and then the Blade of Ancients hoax game idea.

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

I voted for three. It should have the basic elements in it. For instance, if a screen was a square screen surrounded by cliffs with a building and two trees in a white palette, put down some dead trees, a building, some water, and cliffs, and lots of detail. Like this:
Old: http://www.freewebs....rossroadold.bmp
New: http://www.freewebs....rossroadnew.bmp

Expecpt put in more detail. Sorry, that screen isn't finished yet, but it should give you a basic idea of how to do it. Trust me, I have tried both extremes, and right in the middle is what works the best.

#14 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE(russadwan @ Feb 29 2008, 01:46 AM) View Post

I voted for three. It should have the basic elements in it. For instance, if a screen was a square screen surrounded by cliffs with a building and two trees in a white palette, put down some dead trees, a building, some water, and cliffs, and lots of detail. Like this:
Old: http://www.freewebs....rossroadold.bmp
New: http://www.freewebs....rossroadnew.bmp

Expecpt put in more detail. Sorry, that screen isn't finished yet, but it should give you a basic idea of how to do it. Trust me, I have tried both extremes, and right in the middle is what works the best.

It doesn't seem like the detailed and undetailed version of the same screen. I think tree areas should be made with packed 2x2 trees, not brushes. Plus that screen doesn't require logs or foliage. The western forest (Lost Woods?) do.

#15 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:31 AM

I think you make a new overworld... it's getting kinda lame to walk around in the same thing over and over...
Sure, some landmarks should still be there, but that should be it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users