Star Wars Conversion of ZC!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:21 PM

Hey it's been a while since I've been posting around here on the forums, but I've had a lot more time on my hands now that I own my own business and work from home. So thanks to that I've been able to put a little bit more time and effort into my Star Wars quests that I have tried so hard in the past to create.

For now I've put "Mandalorian War" on hold because it's too big of a quest to take on for me at the moment. But I have been doing a remake of the original first quest in Zelda as a Star Wars Conversion. It's basically a reason for me to show off a lot of the weapons / items and different ideas I've been wanting to use in Mandalorian War, but can't because like I said the quest is huge. So this new Star Wars remake is going to redo the story of Link, Zelda, and Ganon from the first quest, and turn them into:

- Link the Jedi Guardian of Hyrule Kingdom
- Zelda the Princess Ambassador of Hyrule Kingdom
- Ganon the Evil Sith Lord (or Darth Ganon? sounds alright to me ...)

I'm taking the overworld and twisting it around slightly to better incorporate some new items and weapons. I don't hope to make it hugely elaborate or with a brand new tileset or anything like that, just something I can release for people to play and enjoy! I'm hoping to make a very solid quest with a decent story and the gameplay be a lot of fun. I don't want to give away much of the details on items and weapons like most other quest announcements do, because I think the game will speak for itself, and you will have a lot of fun playing it.

And if anybody is interested about my former quest - Madalorian War was a complete Star Wars quest I was wanting to do that takes place before the Knigths of the Old Republic game series. It was going to be a very large-scale quest but I had no time to work on it. Hopefully people will enjoy this Zelda remake enough for me to get motivated to start up Mandalorian War again. But we'll see! icon_wink.gif

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

Awesome, another Star Wars fanatic. :O

Your quest sounds brilliant. Gonna throw in a couple of Star Destroyers, or maybe even a Death Star? ;P

#3 Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt

Wizard

• Members

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

Star Wars is cool. I'm anxious to see what you come up with. The first quest conversion sounds fun.

#4 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

I love Star Wars, a quest with it would be great. But make sure it won't be only a graphical change between LoZ and this Star Wars quest, rather you make the dungeon rooms more Star Wars designed.

You keep the original short string method, or you make long conversations?

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Feb 23 2008, 02:30 PM) View Post

...rather you make the dungeon rooms more Star Wars designed.

Like... a Death Star for level nine? icon_deformed.gif

#6 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:34 PM

Cast Chaos, I would make long conversations ... it's just more depth to the game ya know? And yeah I'll design new tiles and make the dungeons more Star Warsish, but it's not gonna be a complete overhaul, like I said I just want the quest to showcase my ideas and custom Star Wars tiles for weapons / items / characters, etc.

The Satellite, I would probably not do a death star, cause that wouldn't fit into the Zelda / Hyrule story that I'm doing. And for one, most of the stuff I like about Star Wars doesn't take place during the movies. icon_sweat.gif Plus I like to try and be original. However you'll see familiar races and stuff like Rodians, Wookies, Twileks, Jawas. It should be a fun quest, but don't get your hopes up about some mega Star Wars quest. I just really hope that somehow I can pave the way for more people to do Star Wars quests. I even hope people use my resources and tiles and stuff to do their own quests. I don't want to keep any of the glory for myself that would just be rude hehe icon_smile.gif

I'm just hoping my ZC program stops crashing on me so I can go ahead and do this quest. I don't think it should take me too long to do.

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

Ah, well, you do good with that. icon_smile.gif

I only mentioned Death Star for Level 9 because of the shape of Level 9 in the original Zelda: A round skull.

Oh, I was going to pull up that Star Wars sprite sheet in the database, but I didn't know you made it. Good job. icon_wink.gif

#8 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:56 AM

Oh yeah I forgot I submitted that tile sheet, I just wanted to throw something out to the community cause there were only like 2 or 3 small tile downloads for you to rip stuff off of, and the other ones are just downright ugly looking - no offense to those people however sorry! icon_blink.gif

It's what I was using for my Mandalorian War tileset, it was a basic sheet of stuff like characters, weapons, etc. I still haven't seen anybody actually use it though icon_cry.gif That makes octorok sad. I keep hearing all these people who love Star Wars but don't see the potential for a Star Wars quest in ZC, or at least don't care to attempt something. Does no one share my love for both Star Wars AND Zelda!?!? icon_eek.gif

#9 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE(octorok @ Feb 25 2008, 06:56 AM) View Post

Oh yeah I forgot I submitted that tile sheet, I just wanted to throw something out to the community cause there were only like 2 or 3 small tile downloads for you to rip stuff off of, and the other ones are just downright ugly looking - no offense to those people however sorry! icon_blink.gif

It's what I was using for my Mandalorian War tileset, it was a basic sheet of stuff like characters, weapons, etc. I still haven't seen anybody actually use it though icon_cry.gif That makes octorok sad. I keep hearing all these people who love Star Wars but don't see the potential for a Star Wars quest in ZC, or at least don't care to attempt something. Does no one share my love for both Star Wars AND Zelda!?!? icon_eek.gif

I was using it for Shadow Wars II, it just got cancelled. Plus it wasn't for the tileset I was using. I don't even know what tileset it was for. I think I was using Descendand at that time, but now I appreciate DoR submissions the most...

#10 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:06 AM

Oh cool, so was Shadow Wars a Star Wars quest? What did you like in the tileset the most and what about the least?

#11 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:44 AM

Shadow Wars (the first episode is in the database) would have been a series whiches are Zelda quests, but take a lot of ideas from Star Wars. For example, in the first episode (which comes right after LoZ/AoL) Ganon is dead, so his strongest minions are waring for the Triforce. There are hardly any Star Wars things besides the intro, though. However, Shadow Wars II would have been more Star Wars-ized. In that, the Emperor would have won Link for the dark side who turns the Triforce evil and kills Zelda. In Shadow Wars III, the main character would have been Link's daughter and the final boss would have been Darth Link...

As for your Star Wars set, I liked the character tiles the best, they were very well made. What I didn't like? First of all, the fact that it wasn't for the set I was using. Apart from that, some items were too simple and classic style, if I remember well. But it was so long ago...

But again, the Shadow Wars series would have been closer to Zelda, even with the Star Wars characters and items, whiches were rather the minority as opposed to Zelda tiles and my custom drawn tiles.

#12 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

Oh wow that sounds like a really neat quest! I like the idea of using Link's daughter and having Link be Darth Link, that's awesome. Did you get anywhere with it, have any screens I could see?

And yeah for my character tiles, I feel like those turned out really well but in a classic feel. That's all that I had worked with before so I thought I might do it that way with classic black outline. I sorta enjoy that feel of the game personally. I know a lot more people are going towards more realistic looking landscapes and tiles / sprites. Did you like the lightsabers at all? Or the weapons? Not much shading on them or anything, I think that's something I have to work on.

I'm thinking of keeping my Star Wars quest simple, maybe even using a gameboy color tileset, cause they're simple.

I'm actually gonna download ZC for my Mac and design it from there, we'll see if it does any good, wish me luck. icon_sweat.gif

#13 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(octorok @ Feb 25 2008, 04:18 PM) View Post

Oh wow that sounds like a really neat quest! I like the idea of using Link's daughter and having Link be Darth Link, that's awesome. Did you get anywhere with it, have any screens I could see?

And yeah for my character tiles, I feel like those turned out really well but in a classic feel. That's all that I had worked with before so I thought I might do it that way with classic black outline. I sorta enjoy that feel of the game personally. I know a lot more people are going towards more realistic looking landscapes and tiles / sprites. Did you like the lightsabers at all? Or the weapons? Not much shading on them or anything, I think that's something I have to work on.

I'm thinking of keeping my Star Wars quest simple, maybe even using a gameboy color tileset, cause they're simple.

I'm actually gonna download ZC for my Mac and design it from there, we'll see if it does any good, wish me luck. icon_sweat.gif

Well, I got to do only Shadow Wars 2, but all pictures and all demos are gone now. I check if at least pictures can be recovered. *checks* Hmm, no. I deleted all to give place for my living projects. Whiches doesn't have any Star Wars resemblances.

As for those lightsabers, yes I liked those items.

You have Mac, too? Good, that's more reliable. Just be sure to install the Mac compatible version, not the same you used with XP.

#14 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Oh and I installed the Mac version of ZC and it won't let me open ZC ... i double click it and the icon flashes and nothing comes up. My Mac or a crappy version of ZC for the Mac?

#15 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:33 PM

I've gotten that problem before, as well. Try using the ZC Launcher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users