29 replies to this topic

#16 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

and you have no bombs to escape with.

Yes you do, I can see them in the subscreen! =P

And there's no actual spring by the fairy.

Looking quite nice though.

#17 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(ThunderSpeed @ Feb 3 2008, 02:41 PM) View Post

Also, I don't know why the "K" is missing from "Koholint" up in the corner of the subscreen. Anyone have any ideas why?

Did you type it in? icon_razz.gif
Also, I have some advice, try covering up the corners of every screen, makes them look a whole lot better.

#18 delmaru

delmaru

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

It looks like you learned a lot ThunderSpeed, and fast. I like how this looks, but those castle tiles do need to be fixed. (It shouldn't be hard though.)

#19 ThunderSpeed

ThunderSpeed

Initiate

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:08 AM

IPB Image
This is the entrance to the Color Dungeon's counterpart in this game: The Great Fairy's Dungeon. This is to be similar to how Link's Awakening had it, though not as gimmicky. You run and gun (or in this case, swordfight) your way through the dungeon and find the Great Fairy, who'll either give you the Red tunic, giving you double attack power/double damage, and half damage/attack power for the Blue tunic. I'll also give the option of getting the green Tunic back. The Gold tunic that comes with ZQuest? I'm not sure about that yet.

IPB Image
On your travels, you'll come across a raft, which will be used more often than in the Classic game, and in a different way. The rafting in this game will be kinda like it was in Link's Awakening's raft ride, only you have more control over it. Basically, you're walking on water, and a raft appears under you.

IPB Image
Oceana Isle, a sub-dungeon. I only say that because, though it's short, it does have a boss... sorta. This island is the home of the Koholint Pirates, a feared group. However, they disappeared a few weeks ago, and a red haired man, the same as the one who messed with the Danziah Caves, was seen leaving the island just before the pirates disappeared. This island is populated by red and blue crabs and sea urchins.

IPB Image
The Zoras were a trade partner with the pirates before they disappeared. When they noticed the pirates disappeared, they came to investigate the cause.

IPB Image
This is the sub-boss for this sub-dungeon, sub-made with sub-effort. They're grreen urchins who move around slowly, firing rocks at Link. They take away 2 hearts when they slam into you with oh so much speed.

IPB Image
You're gonna need the hookshot to get past here. Lucky you, as this is the place where you find the hookshot! icon_biggrin.gif *runs*

IPB Image
This is the entrance to the boss arena for this place. It's very foreboding with those skull rocks.

IPB Image
Unfinished boss. I don't exactly remember the behavior of the one from Link's Awakening, but I know he doesn't act like the one from Oracle of Seasons. He just goes around, closing in on your position and swinging the ball farther from him to smack you around. Getting hit by either him or the ball takes away two hearts. *sigh* he's really terrible though. I mean REALLY bad. He doesn't recoil away like most enemies when you hit him, and when you get between him and the ball, he's a sitting duck, cause he refuses to move away. I'm thinking of releasing the script for this guy so others can help to improve him.

IPB Image
After you kick him around a bit with your sword, this happens. He doesn't disappear, and his ball goes flying to the corner, the room's secret isn't activated... it's a mess. D: I'm aware I didn't set the undercombo yet.

IPB Image
This is the Great Mana Tree, located on Oceana Isle. I'll be honest, I only put this thing here so I could take two screens off of my to do list for finishing Oceana Isle. I know, lazy. icon_razz.gif Thus, I haven't figured out if this will play any importance. Well, that's all for this island.

IPB Image
This is the entrance to the forest of Koholint, where the ghost I introduced earlier wants you to take him. None too interesting at the moment. I'm not sure how the palette change system works just yet (like the one shown in Hero of Dreams when transferring between Death Mountain and the place west of it (something winds)). Well I could probably learn it real easily if I messed with it... What I plan is to have the palette change to something a bit darker and a bit different, to represent being in a forest.

IPB Image
Here are some big trees. They'll eventually lead to a dungeon that houses the last of the Forest Minish. How I'll do that, though, I'm not sure.

IPB Image
This is the house that Danziah, the ghost who you met in the caves, wants you to take him to. After he bids you farewell and lets you keep the Roc's Feather for taking him here, he'll give you a hint of where you can find the raft, which is needed to progress the story and get you to Koholint.

IPB Image
No Zelda game is complete without a gratuitously giant hole designed to hinder your progress. You're not getting past this unless you have the hookshot, which you'll get after getting to Koholint.

Edited by ThunderSpeed, 11 February 2008 - 09:09 AM.

#20 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:52 AM

Wow, thats quite impressive. It seems almost like it is Link's Awaking. It really captures the feel of it. Nice job. By the way, the palette change is accomplished by using a scrolling warp between two dmaps with different palettes.

#21 ThunderSpeed

ThunderSpeed

Initiate

• Members

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

Alright, I'm planning for a demo to be out in 2 or 3 weeks featuring the following:

Daltus Village
Daltus Caverns
Hyrule Overworld
Danziah Caves
Town of Koholint
Koholint Dungeon - (unnamed as of yet, not worked on)
Oceana Isle
Koholint Overworld
Koholint Forest

POSSIBLE locations are Hyrule Castle/Castle Town and Koholint Castle.

More areas will be featured in the future, but this is just the general idea for the demo.

Also, small update, but progress. I've decided to give Koholint forest a different palette than the overworld.

IPB Image

So how's it look guys? I've fixed the border palette (the brown wood featured in the subscreens) after I took this shot, so much of this is final.

#22 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:53 AM

That forest palette looks much better. And that sounds like a big demo. I can't wait to play it.

#23 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

Some of your screens lack detail, but I think your quest is good for a beginning questmaker.
The content looks fine to me too, so no complain 'bout that.
I'm seeing forward to the demo.

#24 ThunderSpeed

ThunderSpeed

Initiate

• Members

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

...Well, kiss whatever dreams you had of seeing a demo of this, as I came home today to find my harddrive decided to break. Stupid chinese labor, they don't know how to build stuff properly...

There is a chance I can get this quest back on track, but it'll be months before any data salvaging is possible, so... sorry guys, this is the end of this quest.

For now.

#25 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

OUCH. Sorry about that.

But at least, if you can work on it again, you can use a better tileset as your base icon_biggrin.gif *shot*

#26 Xiion

Xiion

Senior

• Members

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

That really sucks. Your quest was looking really good too.

Not really a shot at you, but a good general reminder to everyone ('cause I've read about it happening to other people as well):

Always keep an up-to-date back-up copy of your quest (or anything important, for that matter) on a different storage device! Because you never know when shoddy Chinese equipment will fail, or whatever multitude of bad things that could happen, happen. It seems like something that shouldn't need to be said a million times, but it never hurts to hear again.

Sincerely sorry for your loss, I hope you manage to recover it.
At the very least, don't let it discourage you.

#27 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(ThunderSpeed @ Feb 27 2008, 01:43 PM) View Post

...Well, kiss whatever dreams you had of seeing a demo of this, as I came home today to find my harddrive decided to break. Stupid chinese labor, they don't know how to build stuff properly...

There is a chance I can get this quest back on track, but it'll be months before any data salvaging is possible, so... sorry guys, this is the end of this quest.

For now.

Wow. Sorry about that. Next time, back the quest up often. Any chance of you starting it again? Maybe with a more advanced tileset?

#28 ThunderSpeed

ThunderSpeed

Initiate

• Members

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, I've started working on it, trying more advanced designs using layering. I'm not perfect at it yet, though. Before my harddrive crashed, this was what I accomplished with layers (and a bit of art ripped from the DoR set)

IPB Image

Also, since I really don't feel like redrawing a majority of the graphics from scratch again, which I did not knowing there were actual tilesets, I'll be using this one, the Hero of the Past tileset. I've already got a screenshot of something, but it's not that interesting.

IPB Image

As for getting the quest back that I lost... it may be possible, as there's still a warranty on my harddrive. I make no promises, but it may be possible to salvage what I lost, months from now, at least...

#29 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:04 AM

It looks nice. I like how it looks somewhat old style graphics, and somewhat new style.

#30 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

Wow I like the look of this quest! I've been with Pure for a year now and I still don't know how to make a quest, which is really sad. But, I do have a trusty Japanese hardrive. icon_biggrin.gif Anyways good luck with the quest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users