Photo

Screenshot of the Week 292

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (46 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:11 AM

I always null-vote whenever in a shot of the week, but had I not entered I would've thrown my vote towards Daemon. It's a well-designed, playable screen with just the right amount of detail. Sephiroth's shot is pretty, but very spartan from a design standpoint. ZeeLiam's shot has a lot of potential, but I think the mountain errors in the shot (combined with some playability issues) really hurt it.

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ May 23 2010, 02:04 PM) View Post
Ebola Zaire: In the words of Migokalle: JESUS, MAN! THE COLORS! THE COLORS!

•Ebola Zaire: The palette of the swamp felt a bit bright, but in a good way. The main problem was that Link's sword and the enemy palettes were normal palettes with hard black outlines. If you plan to use unnaturally bright palettes, be sure that EVERYTHING is bright, and I do mean EVERYTHING.

I really didn't like any of these, but out of all of them, Ebola Zaire's won my vote.
Thanks for the vote, even if you didn't like the shot that much. Part of the problem is that the work I do in the Gameboy tilesets is mostly for kicks and giggles, so the subscreen is just kinda "eh" and I didn't bother making any edits to the palette beyond CSets 2 and 3. Rest assured that I am aware that the sprites don't go with the palette, but in my mind the subscreen is a much worse offender.

QUOTE(Jupiter @ May 23 2010, 04:49 PM) View Post
Ebola Zaire- I love the colors and the trees...but otherwise, meh, I honestly don't see why this is getting so many votes. There's just nothing all that interesting about it. Plus, I don't like how squarish that tall grass looks...it's really bothering me. Don't get me wrong, this is still a fine screen, but not nearly as worthy of winning as ZeeLiam or Sephiroth for my money.
The grass is also an unfortunate result of limitations in current gameboy tilesets and my lack of willingness to fix them. icon_shrug.gif If I was making a quest in this tileset, I would try to find a smoother transition (and in fact am pretty sure how I would do it) but for this purpose I left well enough alone. Gameboy tilesets also suffer from some extremely limited water tiles, now that I think about it.

As for why it's getting votes, I think the answer is simple: consistency. In my experience with SotW, consistency (that is, how well the colors fit together, whether you have a lot of style-clashing or not, etc.) is a huge factor in which screens win. Colorwise I focused the screen on three hues; green, blue, and brown, all of which mesh very easily. The contrast is also turned down drastically from default GB palettes (which Daemon and ZeeLiam used) which contributes a lot to the "consistency" factor. I limited myself to one type of small tree, one type of large tree, two grass details, and one bush, and one color for all details.

QUOTE(cosmofield @ May 23 2010, 04:53 PM) View Post
I like the brightness in Ebola Zaire's pic but the water puddles lacks details (I always use a set of relational style shallow water combos)
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "relational."

#17 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:03 AM

I voted for Ebola, since it's the one I like best. However, Ebola, you need to get rid of these BS-borders in such kind of tileset, like, really. In my eyes, they break the whole thing. Might only be me, but this is really disturbing me a lot. Meh.
But other than that I really like the effect of the small and big LA-trees together. That mist-ish palette also is fun to look at. It does not harmonize with the sprites' colours, though. But it might work with Joe's sprite colours in his GBtileset.

#18 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

I guess not many votes for Sephiroth then...

#19 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

Daemon - 6 votes = [14.29%]
Sephiroth - 7 votes = [16.67%]
ZeeLiam - 11 votes = [26.19%]
Ebola Zaire - 18 votes = [42.86%]
Total Votes: 42

Ebola Zaire
IPB Image