Whatever happened to Super Mario 128?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:00 PM

Remember about a year ago, there was this big hipe about SM128... Why is there no SM128? Could they have meant 1000 year door? I wish they would make a game more like SMS, or SM64... I love that game style. SMS was actually pretty chalenging for a ewer game. Most new games are not too hard. MP/ MP2E, Sonic Heroes, ans SMS are four GCN games that I own, that stick out in my mind as challenging. SSBM, ans F-Zero GX should be on that list... but they are not.

Any info?

#2 Hero_of_Hyrule

Hero_of_Hyrule

Wizard

• Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

I actually heard they were going to show a new Mario game at E3. Maybe it's going to be Mario 128?

#3 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:44 PM

Mario 128, which Nintendo refers to as the SM64 sequel in spirit (so it's going to be a heck of a lot better than SMS), is still in development. Nintendo recently confirmed that this title is being developed for the GCN, and not the Revolution, which was speculated before hand. No word when it will come out though. icon_wink.gif

#4 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:24 AM

Well, if it's a sequal to Mario 64, they better get crackin on it, because I like Mario 64 quite a bit. Yeah, maybe they are gonna show us about it at E3.

#5 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:26 AM

Well, Nintendo keeps on saying that Mario 128 is still in development. They may show it at E3, however, I don't think it is confirmed. And if it is, it will be in video form only. They said they haven't showed anything or talked about it because they don't want other companies to steal their idea. Maybe, that is why we haven't heard of it for a while, or maybe, they are lying and it is not really under development. Well, E3 is coming up, so I guess we'll see.

#6 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:46 AM

A sequel to SM64? I wonder...It seems just odd to me.

In any case, Is Mario 64 DS just a cosmetic upgrade to SM64? The DD version of SM64? Or something else?

I remember somewhere the DD version of SM64 was going to similar to SMB 2. What happened to that? It seems too different.

#7 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:54 AM

First of all, I didn't say it was the sequel to SM64. I said it was the spiritual sequel. That means that they mean for it to be as good, or better than SM64. SMS fell quite short of doing that, and by the way Miyamoto put it (he was the one that said SM128 to be the spiritual sequel to SM64), SMS wasn't intended to be as good as SM64. Basically, you can expect it to be pretty damn good. icon_thumbsup.gif

About your other question, SM64DS isn't simply a port of it. There are changes, such as the different characters. This forces you to do somethings differently. There is also a new star in each level, which is the switch star. There are also new levels. While they aren't quite as big as the old ones, with most ony containing one star each, they do add in to the adventure. So, to sum this up, it isn't the same, but there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two.

#8 Highsight

Highsight

Jake Wins

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:51 PM

Ohhhh a sequel. icon_biggrin.gif I would love to see a sequel to SM64. I thought that it was a great game. icon_thumbsup.gif

79 posts to go. icon_biggrin.gif

#9 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:00 PM

A sequel to SM64...kickass. Instead of the swooped up version of SM64DS, this is going to rule. I hope it's like the 64 version, only even swooped up better than the DS version.

#10 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Apr 8 2005, 09:54 AM)
First of all, I didn't say it was the sequel to SM64. I said it was the spiritual sequel. That means that they mean for it to be as good, or better than SM64.

That's what I was thinking was meant for a "sequal." I like the style and gameplay of SM64, so a SM128 would be awesome.

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 03:01 PM

Oooh, I forgot about this topic...

SM64DS was not a comlete remake of SM64. It had extra characters and stuff, and more mini-games.

I sort of figured that it would be simalar to SM64. Look at SMS. I liked SMS, but it was a little tedious. It was easy to die, and you had to almaost complete every world. I wish it had more worlds, asnd less shines per world. SM64 only had 7 per world, but SMS has 11!

#12 DoppleGanger

DoppleGanger

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:32 PM

A SM64 sequal, I've heardthat one, but think of it this way, Super mario bros 1, 2, and 3 were sequals, but had nothing to do with each other at all. SM128 will hopefully end the streak of bad Mario games. Paper Mario 2 was actually exceptionally good though, and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, but their both RPG's, and Mario RPG's are always good. I'm waitin for the next good regular styled Mario.

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:30 PM

Yeah **** the Mario sports games. They should go back to the old style like SM64, or they could use aan overowlrd map, and have level selection thingy and all hat stuff. That'd be cool, and it'd be nice to see.

Also, Nintendo should make a Mario Collection and re-realease all of the good old Mario games. Nintendo is milinh to cash cow with yet another series. They are recreating all of these games, but changing them just a little bit, and charging the full GBA price. They ahould directly port them, and untouch them just like the Sonic Mega Collection!

#14 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:36 AM

SMS was easy to die in? Okay, maybe the secret shines, but not the world shines. Ihope you're refering to those. Mario RPGs are okay, but none of them are as good as the first one. (well, maybe I can that after playing PM2). But it's true that recent Mario games hasn't been the same. SMS was good, but it was not the same spiritually. Let's hope this one is!

#15 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:21 AM

Super Mario Sumshine was actually quite hard. But I could do without the blue-coin-hunt if they do make another Maz.

A couple of months ago, Shigsy said that "Super Mario 128 is still something we are considering".

So my gut feeling says... maybe. But please, Nintendo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users