Official Game Recommendation Thread!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

Have a game or two you feel others just HAVE to try? Post them, along with their genre, system, & a shorthand review here. Follow my layout if you must.

Legend of Legaia (RPG, PS1)
Totally a must for you hardcore RPG fans. Not only does this show off a fancy, unique battle system, but also has a solid storyline and awesome music icon_thumbsup.gif. Also contains a wide array of memorable characters, and can be challenging at times.

#2 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:54 AM

Here's a few:

Shadow of the Colossus (Adventure, PS2)
I was really surprised when I found out a lot of people here haven't played it. It's probably the most epic game ever made. icon_thumbsup.gif

Rune Factory Frontier (RPG, Wii)
This is a great blend of traditional harvest moon and a deep and complex RPG. Seriously, this game is so under-rated it's unbelievable. Don't let the "Harvest Moon" turn you off.

Okami (RPG, Wii/PS2)
Everyone who likes Zelda would love this game. It's like a living painting.

Persona series (RPG, PS1/PS2)
I'm mainly talking about Persona 3 or 4. Anime fans would enjoy this series, as well as any hardcore RPGer.

#3 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:39 AM

^I have to agree completely with Okami. Great game, bar none

Katamari Damaci (PS2, Xbox 360)
Awesome game. You'll automatically be addicted the first two minutes you play.

Killer 7 (PS2)
One of the weirdest, oddest, WTF? games I've every played. Play it and you'll see what I mean.

That's all I got for off of the top of my head right now

#4 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

Dark Stone(RPG, PS1)
Not well known. Although the story is kinda "meh," the gameplay is solid! You can choose your own class, gender, and name, while taking on randomly generated field maps with dungeons for key items and quests, Beat the game only at Level X? Restart with a higher difficulty for more challenges and better equipment.

Azure Dreams(RPG, GBC/PS1)
Like Pokémon, but Dungeon Crawlers too? This game is for you! Unlike Pokémon, you can fight alongside your monsters! Addictive!

#5 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition Kanzenban. DS import.

#6 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

Klonoa (Platformer, PS1/Wii) One of the most interesting platformers I've ever played for sure. And for PS1, the environments were gorgeous. I think they ported it to Wii.

#7 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

Star Fox Adventures (Adventure, GC)
A lot of people will say that this game is awful, and it is, if you think it's going to be a traditional Star Fox game. This is a fantastic game, especially for Zelda fans.

Edited by Radien, 16 November 2010 - 04:31 AM.

#8 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(XxGamasterxX @ Jul 14 2010, 11:44 AM) View Post

Star Fox Adventures (Adventure, GC)
A lot of people will say that this game is awful, and it is, if you think it's going to be a traditional Star Fox game. This is a fantastic game, especially for Zelda fans.

It was good, and quite a piece of eye candy. Honestly, it looks better than some of the lower end 360 games I've played. The only beef I had was that it was only a mere shadow of the original game it was going to be.

#9 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

Tru '94, a challenging NHL '94 SNES ROM hack.

CRF '92, a Street Fighter II SNES ROM hack.

HowHigh, a Zelda Classic 1.90 quest.

link below.

#10 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

Big Air Freestyle, for Gamecube. I can't STAND motorcross games in general but this game is fun, it plays well, and has an awesome soundtrack to boot. Way more fun than its underbelly psycho counterpart, Freekstyle.

#11 Keltena

Keltena

• Members

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

Last Scenario and Exit Fate. Period. Two fantastic full-length RPGs with amazing plots and characters and balanced gameplay. I do not think I can recommend these highly enough.

Also Out of Order. It's a point-and-click adventure game with an awesome, Douglas Adams-y sense of humor and clever (if very frustrating sometimes) puzzles.

Finally, the Chzo Mythos series. The first game is 5 Days a Stranger, then 7 Days a Skeptic, then Trilby's Notes, then 6 Days a Sacrifice. Great horror adventure games, though the last game is generally considered a bit iffy.

#12 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

Despite many opinions to the contrary, I'mma recommend FF13 (360/PS3, Real-time/turn based RPG)

The game itself is a lot of fun, and the visuals are uffing gorgeous.

#13 Drewby3

Drewby3

veteran member

• Members

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

My favorite rpg include Rune factory 1 my friend code is 2322-2591-7079
Navar and if you have it please pm me your friend code or post it in my forum post. anyway the rest of them are Super Mario RPG, Super Paper Mario, Paper Mario TTYD, and ALTTP.

#14 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:42 AM

NES
Blades of Steel - One of the few sports games I enjoy
Little Samson - Awesome platformer made late in the NES's life. Arguably the best graphics on the NES, and some of the best gameplay.
Street Gangs (aka River City Ransom) - Grab a buddy and waste a few hours on this kick-ass RPG-style beat-em-up.

SNES
Starfox 2 - was never released, but I'd put it on par (perhaps slightly behind) Starfox 64.

PC
Everision - You might not get it at first, but it's a very unique (and good) indie puzzle/platformer.
Portal - You all know this one I'm sure, but it has to be mentioned.
Braid - You probably know this one too, but again - masterpiece.
The Path - This one departs from traditional gameplay and instead focuses on atmosphere. Short, but truly horrifying at times. The sound is amazing. Walking through Grandma's house after an encounter with the Big Bad Wolf... don't stay in one place for too long O_O
Touhou series - A series of curtain-fire SHMUPS featuring anime girls with magic powers (no fan service, so don't get excited icon_razz.gif) known for their insane difficulty (I struggle to finish most of them on "Normal"). My personal recommendation would be Imperishable Night (larger character selection), but they all play fairly similar so you'll have fun with any of them (I found the latest one a bit boring though). The two Touhou fighting games - Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and Unthinkable Natural Law - are pretty awesome too, with a unique combat style quite different to most fighters.
Highway Pursuit - just a Spyhunter clone, but damn addictive.
SPACE CADET PINBALL!!! - Comes with Windows XP, but not the later Windows OSs. It's a shame, because it's probably the best pinball game I've ever played - it's gimmicky enough to keep you interested but simple enough that you don't need to think much, and the table is very clean and uncluttered so it's easy to keep track of your ball (with the exception of wormholes).

Wii
The Homebrew Channel - (ok, so it's not a game icon_razz.gif Still, it's a must have)
Lost Winds series - not much replay value, but solid and enjoyable platformers.

Others
Guitar Hero 6 - great setlist, most difficult songs yet (besides Jordan), the addition of optional "powers" and a "quest" mode (I couldn't care less about them personally, but at least they're doing something to try and keep it fresh and not just "more of the same").
Robot Unicorn Attack - Always I want to be with you, and make believe with you, and live in harmony harmony OH LOVE!

Edited by NoeL, 16 November 2010 - 02:47 AM.

#15 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:03 AM

Guitar Hero 6 - great setlist, most difficult songs yet (besides Jordan), the addition of optional "powers" and a "quest" mode (I couldn't care less about them personally, but at least they're doing something to try and keep it fresh and not just "more of the same").

Agreed. With the exception of the Nickelback song, not too bad. I failed the first two Megadeth songs there like 3 times each >.<
Plus, the fact that they put another Alter Bridge song on here made me real happy. They're finally starting to get the respect they deserve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users