quests groundbreaking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 A Link to Frustration

A Link to Frustration

Link to Frustration

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

Always trying to figure out ways I can make my quest seem more professional, I thought it would be a good idea to check out a few of the other quests that tried to push the limits of what the editor is capable of. So before I actually take the time to play through entire quests merely out of the hopes of seeing something unique, I'm wondering, what quests have other people played that they thought were groundbreaking in some way?

I should clarify that "groundbreaking" in my mind doesn't necessarily mean good, fun, or all around great. Rather I think of it as pushing the limits, and either showing something completely new, or improving drastically on something that was already in place. New enemies or bosses, new mechanics, intricate puzzles or engaging minigames. What were some of the quests that really tried to do something different (and not just by reskinning Zelda with the graphics of other games such as Metroid)?

#2 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

World Tree was ridiculously groundbreaking. Blue Knight also made 3D stuff so yeah O.O

-Strike

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

I definitely see "groundbreaking" as setting some sort of precedent that later quests were inspired by.  Some that followed even took some of these ideas and improved upon them, while others may have attempted the same and fell short for whatever reason.  Also, if I say it is, that doesn't necessarily mean it was the first quest to try something in particular, but it may at least be the first I have experienced something new with.

Revenge 2nd quest by PrinceMSC, while very dated by today's standards, was very groundbreaking during the 1.90 era.  Prince was always an excellent screen designer, designing screens in unique ways, and introducing other features within the limitations of an older and much more limited ZC.  I believe he used trap mazes, while seemingly simple, was rather novel during the early days of ZC.

Hidden Duality, another very old quest, had multi-floor dungeons and a light world and dark world.  While this was certainly based off of A Link to the Past, both worlds looked incredibly similar, while still needing to be navigated very differently.  Few quests that tried the dual worlds reached close to this level of success.

The Wrath and Longing of Nemel, while having mediocre screen design, was the first quest I played with quite an extensive developing storyline, and a level structure that went beyond just the traditional numbered levels in order.  There was a lot of required elements on the side.  It was also one of the first quests I played with a vastly large overworld and cave system that carried over more than one map.

The Hero of Dreams was the first quest I played that had custom bosses at the end of every dungeon.  It was also the first I can remember that had many humorous elements to it while still being a very serious effort in the making.

Lost Isle made usage of a lot of 2.50 features well before the stable release came out, and pulled it all off without any scripting.

I'm sure many newer quests would be groundbreaking too, but I'll leave that for others to share, as I'm sure you'll hear plenty on that.  There are plenty of scripted quests out there that use scripting in a way to make the quest feel like its own engine in some way.

• Jared likes this

#4 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

2.5:

-Isle of Rebirth

-Hitodama

-Promised Lands

-Link's Quest for the Hookshot 2

-Lost Isle

2.10/1.92/1.90:

-The Hero of Dreams

-Megaman: DRWR DC

-Tothetop

-Bikdip's Adventure 2

All these quests push "the limits" X)

• Moosh likes this

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

I would like to mention Search for Elise. It was a really unique experience, and told a very different type of story. It might seem dated now, but at the time, it used some of the most collaborate tile cycling tricks, and had a lot of different, and very detailed graphics. The world comes to life with a feeling I've never seen any other ZC quest capture.

I don't now if we are counting demos, but C-Dawg's Sabotage Dragoon was also a groundbreaking quest. It used the most advanced tricks at the time to create character portraits that changed with conversations, and really focused on telling a compelling story. It feels like something so entirely different, it seems like a lost IP on the SNES, or something. It was the closest thing to a huge RPG we could have gotten in ZC at the time.

#6 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

2.5:

-Isle of Rebirth

-Hitodama

-Promised Lands

-Link's Quest for the Hookshot 2

-Lost Isle

You should technically put Lost Isle in the 1.92 beta 183 realm. For it was released for a stand alone spin off of that version. It wasn't initially a 2.5 quest when it was first released. Only its re-release/update was it then 2.5 exclusive.

#7 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

Yeah, it was made in a (really old) 2.5 beta. But that Lost Isle build had way more features than 2.10. I always thought that things like L4 or the smooth animation from the custom bosses are impossible to make outside 2.5. Am I wrong, then?

#8 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:43 PM

The first quest. chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f

• Shane and Eddy like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quests, groundbreaking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users