Why the newest series of Tom & Jerry is a disgrace

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:40 AM

1) Jerry is just as much a pet as Tom. The owners choose to have him there.
2) Tom and Jerry both sleep in the same bed.
3) Nibbles the mouse, the Ugly Duckling, Tyke, Butch the bulldog and Mammy Two Shoes are no longer included.
4) There are no longer any violent chase scenes.
5) Tom and Jerry are now friends. They're supposed to hate each other!
6) In many episodes, Tom and Jerry don't have any owners.
7) Tom's friends, the other cats, are no longer included.
8) The actual Tom and Jerry theme is not even used.
9) The stories are no longer big fights/arguments between Tom and Jerry, they are adventures that they both go on (sometimes with Spike the bulldog).
10) There is too much dialogue and sound effects. The music used to run all the way through the show, and quite often musical sounds were in the place of sound effects.
11) It is now made almost entirely by computers. Grr. Tom and Jerry has ALWAYS been made by hand, and using computers just takes the magic away from it!!!!
12) The characters look different from how they did in the original serieses (plural for series?)

All in all, I believe that Tom and Jerry has been ruined.

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

I was watching the old ones as little child and enjoy them even now... I haven't seen the new series, didn't even know they exist, but considering the ^above written, it's really a... disgrace. Whenever I dreamed about Tom&Jerry, they were deadly enemies whos didn't even think about being friends... oh, those slapping-whacking nightmares!
Maybe the (new?) authors took THIS picture too serious.

#3 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

Thank God for DVD's

#4 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:32 PM

I haven't seen the new series, myself, either, but yeah. Judging from what you mentioned, it must be a disgrace. Tom and Jerry should've ended with "A Purrchance to Dream." Well, the golden age of cartoons seems to have gone, from what I've seen nowadays. icon_sigh.gif

#5 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:33 PM

Ah, but obviously all those children who grew up watching that cat get his head bashed in by mallets, his tail burned by a fireplace, his crouch bieng kicked with a steel toed boot, all became so terribly violent that we have to make them love eachother, in the false hope that our children will seek love for amusement instead of a ironin board slamming down upon a poor kittens head.

T.V. shows are becoming to oppisite. Places like Cartoon Network and Disney all carry extreme P.C. shows, and to counter that we have channels like Comedy Central and Adult Swim. The old shows that weren't to bad on either side (I recall in many cases characters used to get drunk at one point or another) are vastly disappearing, which sucks because if something is completely P.C. (T&J) or completely R (Jackass) it ceases to be funny and just kinda makes ya go, huh? What's so great about this?

That in short is why all channels but the History Channel and Discovery Channel suck.

#6 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(EatinCake @ Jun 15 2007, 01:33 PM) View Post
That in short is why all channels but the History Channel and Discovery Channel suck.

Amen to that, brother.

I swear, outside of that, the only shows I can bear to stand are South Park, The Daily Show, and the Colbert Report.

#7 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

ORLY?

I never really liked the show. Yes, it has violence, but the music and the repetitivness ruined it for me.

#8 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:04 PM

They did what to Tom and Jerry?

...I think I'm going to go cry now.

#9 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:03 PM

Very appropriate VGCats comic.

I'm wondering if maybe they changed it because of all the bad press they've gotten over the years from the parody "Itchy & Scratchy," that fictional cartoon show within the Simpsons that parodies them.

You can get upset at how it isn't true to the original, but personally, I never thought Tom and Jerry was really all that much of a classic to begin with. It's just a cat chasing a mouse. icon_razz.gif Warner Brothers has certainly put out stuff that's better than that. Personally, I think Coyote vs. Roadrunner is much funnier.

#10 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 15 2007, 04:03 PM) View Post

Very appropriate VGCats comic.

I'm wondering if maybe they changed it because of all the bad press they've gotten over the years from the parody "Itchy & Scratchy," that fictional cartoon show within the Simpsons that parodies them.

You can get upset at how it isn't true to the original, but personally, I never thought Tom and Jerry was really all that much of a classic to begin with. It's just a cat chasing a mouse. icon_razz.gif Warner Brothers has certainly put out stuff that's better than that. Personally, I think Coyote vs. Roadrunner is much funnier.

I was just about to post that comic! Grr.... icon_evil.gif

Yeah, Wile E. Coyote and Bugs Bunny were better, IMO. But now, they're ruining Bugs Bunny!!! They've turned him into an anime-esque superhero with the rest of his team.... it's a sad, sad world that we've fallen into. You go to Blockbuster to rent a movie. You walk out and watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on your Panasonic DVD player only to find that Johnny Depp has replaced Gene Wilder. You have stumbled into... the Remake Zone.

#11 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jun 15 2007, 04:23 PM) View Post

I was just about to post that comic! Grr.... icon_evil.gif

Yeah, Wile E. Coyote and Bugs Bunny were better, IMO. But now, they're ruining Bugs Bunny!!! They've turned him into an anime-esque superhero with the rest of his team.... it's a sad, sad world that we've fallen into. You go to Blockbuster to rent a movie. You walk out and watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on your Panasonic DVD player only to find that Johnny Depp has replaced Gene Wilder. You have stumbled into... the Remake Zone.

Bugs Bunny? Anime-esque super hero? What the heck? The Looney Tunes were meant for childish slapstick humor, NOT anime crime-fighting (and stuff like that)! Now Duck Dodgers was funny. It parodied the superhero crime-fighting idea and made it very humorous.

Johnny Depp? Uhh... ok... no. NOT a good idea for Willy Wonka. I never really enjoyed either the remake or the original, but I still think Gene Wilder was better for the role.

#12 Skipper

Skipper

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

You know why?

Because we live in a world where people believe violent TV shows induce violence in kids.

Really, it's sad. I remember, as a kid, watching the old Tom and Jerry cartoons. They were funny. Really funny. Now, they've completely butchered it with these crappy newer episodes when it should have stayed dead. Reminds me of Scooby Doo. Used to be a really good show... now look at what they've done with What's New, Scooby Doo?. I mean, they're even starting to stray from the path of masked villains.

We live in a world of idiots.

#13 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:18 PM

Well, it's not hard to see why people believe that. I mean, with gang violence up, spousal abuse up, and other felonies up, people try to attribute it to something, and when they see 50 Cent on BET bragging about getting shot, they put 2 and 2 together. I remember the good od days of DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho on Cartoon Network; but no more. Now, the most violent programming they have is Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl. Bleh.

#14 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Skipper @ Jun 15 2007, 04:44 PM) View Post

You know why?

Because we live in a world where people believe violent TV shows induce violence in kids.

Really, it's sad. I remember, as a kid, watching the old Tom and Jerry cartoons. They were funny. Really funny. Now, they've completely butchered it with these crappy newer episodes when it should have stayed dead. Reminds me of Scooby Doo. Used to be a really good show... now look at what they've done with What's New, Scooby Doo?. I mean, they're even starting to stray from the path of masked villains.

We live in a world of idiots.

Hmm... I saw a few of those episodes, and they just didn't have that old-school feel to them. They should've only strayed from the masked-villain path in the movies. Cartoons are really losing their quality. icon_frown.gif

#15 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:34 AM

There's a new series? Where they DON'T fight!?

... this is the biggest cartoon tragedy since product placement anime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users