Wizzrobe 'Blink' Item

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

In the game I'm building, the hero is a Wizzrobe learning his powers. Among them, I'd like to give a limited Teleportation (Blink) power as an item.
Limited? let me explain:
USE: When used, the script would pick a tile at random (between two and four tiles in front of and up to two tiles to the side of, a little like a chess Knight) to blink the character to. If the random location turns out to be unwalkable, it tries again. If it fails to find a suitable destination after the third try, it gives the fail scenario. (Perhaps using a certain flag (98 to whatever) on the screen might render an otherwise walkable tile 'un-'blink'-able).
Success?: If it does find a suitable tile, the hero holds up his hands (via combos and artistic talent, I can do that), fades from view, and reappears in the new position, facing either the same direction or a random one (similar to a Wizzrobe's ability). I would like there to be a sound played as well (I'll find a suitable one later). It should cost a reasonably high amount of magic (or make use of the variables so the cost can be easily changed).
Fail?: If on the third try the script cannot find a reasonable place to teleport to, it should make a puff at the unreasonable destination (determined by the artist again), then return the hero to his original location. In addition, he should take damage (I'd like it to remove half of whatever health the character had remaining, with one-half heart as the minimum. In other words, a person should not die from using this ability!)

I am a true novice at scripting- I think I MIGHT know how to do this, but it would be a lot easier if I had someone else do it instead so I can focus on other aspects of the game.

I've already implemented an adjusted version of the Pegasus Boots script to emulate a Blue Wizzrobe's 'rush across the screen uninhibited' ability. And a simple swap turned the boomerang into a Keese Familiar to emulate the 'Bat Robe'. This would go a long way towards improving my game.

#2 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

great ideas, yo! not sure the miss should hurt more than a heart, ever, but it is cool, nonetheless. I also would suggest a range of three or four forward, two or three sideways and one backward. the facing randomly is cool, too. again, great ideas! scripting -> so much awesomeness!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users