• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE(Nick @ Feb 19 2008, 11:02 PM) View Post

Still, I don't like the idea in general. The last few times someone has tried to make DX versions of old quests that are not their own, it has not turned out well... or turned out at all.

Wow, that makes me feel very confident right now. For your information, my remake is going very well. The forest area is going from a simple square area in the orginal to a maze like shady forest.

#17 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

Shoelace shares my view on some remakes, especially the part on vision. Besides, I doubt there's (literally) any room for improvement for Hero of Dreams!

I definately agree!!!! No room for improvement on that quest

#18 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

Come now, if Shoelace decided to make Hero of Dreams 2.5 in DoR2.0 it would definitely be better. But I don't think anyone else could pull it off.

#19 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:54 PM

I don't mind the idea too much, as long as you can contact the original questmaker.

For the record, I like Technicolor's... well... colors, but if you want (and the quest itself isn't particuarly amazing in terms of it's world), you can go to town on it.

There's a lot of good quests I wouldn't mind seeing remade.

#20 Captain Magenta

Captain Magenta

Senior

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

You would have to of course gain permission from the original quest author in order to attempt a remake or reinvention of a quest, but as far as this idea goes I have an issue with it. To me, remaking an existing quest (With some exception to First Quest & Storyless Quest remakes) shows a general lack of creativity and vision on the part of the person rebuilding the quest, since they are not really coming up with original material and are simply transplanting better graphics onto an existing quest and trying to cash in on the quest's popularity, such as a remake of The Hero Of Dreams. Anybody familiar with how to use ZQuest could easily rebuild even a lengthy quest within a few months, so it's hard to be impressed by something that anyone can accomplish. If a quest was wildly popular, then obviously it did something right and should not be tampered with as it could distort the plot or details and possibly spoil what made the original quest so good. If a quest was not good, then improving the graphics and details is not necessarily going to help; as someone I know put it, it is the equivalent of polishing a turd. If you want to build a quest, then at least take the time to plan out a plot and the major events in the quest, which will then help guide you in what locales to include in the quest, what characters are involved in the adventure, and other details unique to your quest. Obviously not everyone can easily create a memorable quest on their first time out and I'm no exception, but without practice and refining your craft, you're never going to gain the experience and skills necessary in order to create your own work rather than simply copying someone else's work.....

#21 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

I forgot who it was, but someone requested that they remake Hidden Duality, my first response was: you're kidding me? o_O

#22 Jish

Jish

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

I'd actually really like for someone to remake my "Mitch" quest. Check the database for it and see if it looks like something you might possibly be interested in.

I also have a number of ideas that could help you get started, if you were willing to listen to them. I'm not sure if you want to have absolute creative control over what gets in and what doesn't.

#23 Bowser Blanchette

Bowser Blanchette

Tatsumi is ready to roll!

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Feb 21 2008, 07:07 PM) View Post

I forgot who it was, but someone requested that they remake Hidden Duality, my first response was: you're kidding me? o_O

I asked that guy the same thing. He wanted to make the quest challenging with the new enemies in 2.5

#24 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(Bowser Blanchette @ Feb 21 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

I asked that guy the same thing. He wanted to make the quest challenging with the new enemies in 2.5

Hidden Duality? Isn't that the one that said to expect to die multiple times and end up riping your hair out? Or was that Wolfstyle? DFW, I can't keep up with all the quests you make. Mainly because Lost Isle is the only one I can get through.

#25 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:16 AM

well at least you can get through that one! LOL

#26 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:40 AM

There's no real ROOM for improvement in HoD because all DMaps were used up... but in 2.5, with being able to step into other's dreams and with more enemies and 2.5 tricks and new items and scripts and changing all graphics to custom... well, this way a Hero of Dreams DX would be quite possible with keeping the original feeling. But currently only Shoelace could keep the original feeling. I once started to have the same style, but as I evolved, my style changed again...

As for Hidden Duality, well it would be hard to make a DX version of that great quest. But as Link's Birthday was turned LBDX, the same way HD can be turned to HDDX, just a little harder.

Also, I'm still waiting for MMDWRDCDX and Mysteria Revision.

#27 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:04 AM

or a Lost Isle DX! LOL XD
But seriously, I have been fascinated by Chibi Moon and Star, it's a decent quest. Definitely not the best out there. But it has a lot of good points to it and good ideas. I'm almost tempted to remake it, but not sure if time constraints would allow nor the original author. But I digress.

#28 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

A Lost Isle DX would be certainly possible. Take Lost Isle, turn all bosses to custom, include items such as hooskhot (Farore's Wind and Boots doesn't needed.), increase the number of dungeons (the new items go in them), make more enemies that are not only the graphical variations of others, add the newest wonderscripts, use new, scripted items and you are ready.

Also... a DFW style Chibi Moon and Star? OK, I'm all for it. Is beta testing done yet?

#29 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:18 PM

Actually, Lost Isle DX sounds good. Include new items, make nine levels, make all bosses custom, make it a chain of islands, and you've struck gold. After all, although there is only one island, the cutscene where it blows up shows multiple islands.

#30 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(Animus01 @ Feb 20 2008, 06:11 AM) View Post
Besides, I doubt there's (literally) any room for improvement for Hero of Dreams!

Hero of Dreams is very good (I can't say I've played a better quest), but that doesn't make it perfect.

I mean, just taking it at face value, if all you did was do-up the graphics, that's room for improvement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users